Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Westy 12 release: mid December

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Zithal

Post by Zithal »

Had to try and keep the dream alive. Missed it by 6! (Too far away to have a chance, too close to leave.. just in case)

The reason I stayed was sharing good beer stories with others in line, that part was fun. :)

Thanks, though, to those of you in line that felt it nessesary to taunt us as we we left with calls of "$100 bucks a bottle? Anyone?"
dwt wrote:Guelph report - Got the Stone Rd LCBO at 6:10 am this morning. Was #13 in line, first one there at 3am. They rec'd 36, no breakage. line was full by about 7:30, about 20 extra people stuck around until 9:45 when the numbers were handed out, despite being told on numerous occasions by LCBO staffers that there were indeed only 36.

dwt

Post by dwt »

Zithal wrote:Thanks, though, to those of you in line that felt it nessesary to taunt us as we we left with calls of "$100 bucks a bottle? Anyone?"
That was low.

aser

Post by aser »

Not sure if they have them still but I had a bottle at Bellwoods for $30 in the summer. Go there if you really want to try it.

This whole frenzy thing is a bit ridiculous. A good beer indeed but St Bernardus 12 is equally good.

This makes for an interesting case of behavioural analysis. I def enjoyed reading this thread.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

On The Grain Urban Tavern also has then for $30 a bottle, was just there Wednesday and they still had some.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

MaltyTasker wrote: Us beer geeks (and trend-hoppers) aren't the only ones who have been put out by this. There were many LCBO employees with grins and cordial assistance, answering hundreds of phone calls, and arriving at work many hours early braving the cold and lack of information for them as well. The vast majority of them were simply EXCELLENT. One (despite telling me to call back) was remarkably rude - obviously annoyed at the head office, but pissy to customers - though the majority have done the best they can in a difficult situation.
To echo this, for as many people as have been complaining about some LCBO staff, every single person I dealt with (all at the Liberty Village location -- and I called and stopped in often!) were nothing short of saintly in their patience.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

Thirsty & Miserable just posted on FB that their Westy will be delivered mid-next week, in case anyone's up for a jaunt to Kensington Market. No quantity was given, and "price will depend on sales this weekend" :)
Last edited by GreatCop on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Gavin wrote:
MaltyTasker wrote: Us beer geeks (and trend-hoppers) aren't the only ones who have been put out by this. There were many LCBO employees with grins and cordial assistance, answering hundreds of phone calls, and arriving at work many hours early braving the cold and lack of information for them as well. The vast majority of them were simply EXCELLENT. One (despite telling me to call back) was remarkably rude - obviously annoyed at the head office, but pissy to customers - though the majority have done the best they can in a difficult situation.
To echo this, for as many people as have been complaining about some LCBO staff, every single person I dealt with (all at the Liberty Village location -- and I called often!) were nothing short of saintly in their patience.
I ended up calling quite a few and the most friendly phone staff award should go to Richmond Hill LCBO in my view. The lady was always super friendly and even wanted to chat about the beer.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

I ended up calling quite a few and the most friendly phone staff award should go to Richmond Hill LCBO in my view. The lady was always super friendly and even wanted to chat about the beer.
Laird and Oakville were both excellent as well by phone (though I never called Richmond Hill) and the person who got my pack at Queens Quay said the staff were excellent in person and truly felt bad for those missing out.

Bill Pierce

Post by Bill Pierce »

I knew there would be a long line at Oakville, but I went anyway. I got there at 4:30 am and was number 12; the first two people had been there since 11:00 pm. Anyone who arrived after 5:30 was out of luck, which led to a couple of hundred people being very disappointed. The staff at the Oakville store was cordial and friendly, and things went smoothly if you were among the fortunate.

My vote for the worst store (at least from what I experienced or know) goes to Ancaster, where they seemed purposely evasive about the entire situation from start to finish.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Kingston had about 80 lineup for 60 cases... But I got mine! :D

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

I'll add to the praise train for staff at the Maple Leaf Gardens LCBO, talked to a few guys there over the past week and they were really nice, even though it was never very clear (even to them) when they would be receiving/selling it

The Mick

Post by The Mick »

Masterplan wrote:Kingston had about 80 lineup for 60 cases... But I got mine! :D
What time did you get there? I thought about going down, but wasnt going before 9, which I assumed was too late... Sounds like i would have been right near the cutoff had i went for 9.

Also if anyone in the k-town area got a case and wants to trade a bottle for some American brews pm me. I've had some pretty great hauls lately.
I don't always drink beer ... because sometimes my friends win and we have to go to macro-only establishments.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The Mick wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Kingston had about 80 lineup for 60 cases... But I got mine! :D
What time did you get there? I thought about going down, but wasnt going before 9, which I assumed was too late... Sounds like i would have been right near the cutoff had i went for 9.

Also if anyone in the k-town area got a case and wants to trade a bottle for some American brews pm me. I've had some pretty great hauls lately.
At nine you probably would have been around 45-50th. 1st in line was there at 5:15 am, and last at about 9:30.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

That's all fine and good that the majority of LCBO staff were nice but that didn't help me get a case of Westy! :)

I'm sure anyone who was lucky enough to get one must think the employees are saints.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

IPA_Lover wrote:That's all fine and good that the majority of LCBO staff were nice but that didn't help me get a case of Westy! :)

I'm sure anyone who was lucky enough to get one must think the employees are saints.
I'd say more like "monks" then saints... 8)