Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Camerons Barrel series. Can anyone help me out?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

nickelass wrote:Has anyone tried either of these?
Doesn't matter how good it is - they're rare! and Expensive! I heard they even brought in a few monks to bless the barrels*.

Waste no time in questioning the value, they're limited time only and you can tell your friends that it's a beer they've never heard of and probably won't like

p.s. these beers are likely very good (maybe even good value) and I will try to grab a bottle to sample tonight

*totally made up
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

will these be in the TorStar?

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

So again, could anyone get me some that live in Durham region, again I am in Bowmanville.

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

Grabbed both the Doppelbock and VSPA! Look forward to them both! First, a Skull Splitter! : )

KW1

Post by KW1 »

cattersley wrote:So again, could anyone get me some that live in Durham region, again I am in Bowmanville.
Ya, know, your local LCBO can get product from other LCBOs upon request....

zombi69

Post by zombi69 »

The Cameron's Barrel Aged are sold out in the Oakville (Cornwall) location already.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

I called more then one place, "We can't order it, and we refuse to do a product transfer this close to Christmas, we would loose too much money" Dicks.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I picked up both "expressions" of this release at the St. Lawrence location. Frankly, neither is worth pursuing (IMO) and these beers are not worth $13 a pop. Tastes like they created a thin base beer that would allow the barrel aging to really come through. I was expecting much more body, flavour, etc. at this price point but both are fairly one-dimensional.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gedge wrote:I picked up both "expressions" of this release at the St. Lawrence location. Frankly, neither is worth pursuing (IMO) and these beers are not worth $13 a pop. Tastes like they created a thin base beer that would allow the barrel aging to really come through. I was expecting much more body, flavour, etc. at this price point but both are fairly one-dimensional.
Haven't had the Doppelbock, yet, but personally I'd disagree with the Cognac.

Most of those great RPA aromatics are gone, but replaced with the fruitiness of the cognac. At first it was a little shocking, but then it became very drinkable I found. The spiciness of the rye is still very much still there. Other than the faded aromatic hops, it's still RPA that's a little beefier and with a little more depth. The bitter hops are still there, but are kind of pleasing when mixed with the other flavours. Kind of like RPA with a speedbump to slow you down a little.

Oh, an save a glass to splash a little bit of fresh RPA in and watch it brighten like adding salt to a stock.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

JeffPorter wrote: Haven't had the Doppelbock, yet, but personally I'd disagree with the Cognac.
FWIW, of the two I preferred the cognac. Still would rather have spent my money on a 6 of either the RPA or the "regular" Doppelbock.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Gedge wrote:
JeffPorter wrote: Haven't had the Doppelbock, yet, but personally I'd disagree with the Cognac.
FWIW, of the two I preferred the cognac. Still would rather have spent my money on a 6 of either the RPA or the "regular" Doppelbock.
I do see how $13 is kind of tough to swallow for a beer you're not blown away buy. And given the fact that it's really thin on the ground out there one of each is probably enough.

I still have some of the first batch of the barrel-aged deviator, so it'll be interesting to try them side-by-side. I did like the first batch.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

KW1

Post by KW1 »

cattersley wrote:I called more then one place, "We can't order it, and we refuse to do a product transfer this close to Christmas, we would loose too much money" Dicks.
I've never had a problem and have done it multiple times. I suggest getting names and #'s and tell them you're going to have a conversation with your local mpp and the minister of finance, for whom the LCBO reports to. You could also try to contact the LCBO directly with information on the complaint.

cattersley

Post by cattersley »

I have once gone to so far to complain when a manager at the Bowmanville LCBO outright said he wouldn't do and order or product transfer and that in was of his opinion the people of Bowmanville would not respond to the product, and as "what business would knowingly bring in a product (transfer) that would end up loosing money", and I did remind him that his job is that of Crown company and he was there to serve us and our request, and basically replied, stuff it, I don't care... I lodge a customer complaint, and it really went no where.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

cattersley wrote:I have once gone to so far to complain when a manager at the Bowmanville LCBO outright said he wouldn't do and order or product transfer and that in was of his opinion the people of Bowmanville would not respond to the product, and as "what business would knowingly bring in a product (transfer) that would end up loosing money", and I did remind him that his job is that of Crown company and he was there to serve us and our request, and basically replied, stuff it, I don't care... I lodge a customer complaint, and it really went no where.
At least it doesn't sound like you are missing much...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

The Deviator is similar to it's last incarnation. Maybe a little more "bourbony" oak and tartness and some more booziness. Is there less carbonation than I'm remembering, or is it just because of the bigger bottle? But still pretty much the same, which in MHO, is pretty good.

Booziness might mellow with some time, so I'll give a bottle a go.

Yeah, the price - I don't mind paying that price for the Cognac, but my only problem is the six pack of this (Deviator) was such a better deal. You got more than twice as much beer for 4 more bucks than this.

I'm an unapologetic supporter of cameron's so I say go for it if you can, but I can understand why some might shy away.