Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Camerons Barrel series. Can anyone help me out?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JeffPorter wrote:
I'm an unapologetic supporter of cameron's .
How does that happen? You like RPA that much...

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:
I'm an unapologetic supporter of cameron's .
How does that happen? You like RPA that much...

I REALLY REALLY do - I truly love all the GLB hop fixes: Audry Hopburn, Karma Citra and I think they ultimately out-do Cameron's with their variety of IPAs and APAs - but for me, if a desert island situation came up and I had to have only one Ontario hop fix, well, I hate to pick favourites but...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Soods

Post by Soods »

Jeff, have you ever tried GLB's Thrust IPA? That's the pinnacle right now. :D

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Soods wrote:Jeff, have you ever tried GLB's Thrust IPA? That's the pinnacle right now. :D
I don't THINK so - was it around earlier in the fall? Maybe I did - either way I'll seek it out again.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Just spoke to a Cameron's rep who said that some bottles of both were dropped off at the Yonge-Wellesley and Carlton Loblaws locations recently. So they should be available there soon, if not already.

He also confirmed that this version of the Doppelbock was aged longer (6 months) than the version that was previously available in 6-packs at the brewery (3 months). And he said that the base beer of the VSPA is NOT the RPA.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

GregClow wrote: And he said that the base beer of the VSPA is NOT the RPA.
Huh. I stand corrected, I guess. Weird. I wonder if the Cognac RPA was some other batch that they used for a cask night or something. I was certain I was told there was RPA aging on Cognac.

It also sure tastes like it.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

Had the RPA with Christmas dinner and was a huge fan from the first sip. Aftertaste was strong with pear and lasted just the right amount of time.
Hopefully there are still some doppelbock on the shelves for my NYE run.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:... I truly love all the GLB hop fixes: Audry Hopburn, Karma Citra and I think they ultimately out-do Cameron's with their variety of IPAs and APAs...
Different strokes. GLB make very nice beers but - for me - a lot of their 'hop fix' pales seem a bit too dry and lean, without enough 'middle' or balanced aromatic layers to round them out. Something seems missing. But people love them!

By the way - I think the recent Headstock IPA on draught was really striking for its great balance and hop detail. About on par with Red Racer. Watch out for Nickel Brook!
In Beerum Veritas

andrewrg
Bar Fly

Post by andrewrg »

Yeah, I found this batch of Karma Citra to be really bitter and a bit boozy. Wasn't a huge fan.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Belgian wrote: By the way - I think the recent Headstock IPA on draught was really striking for its great balance and hop detail. About on par with Red Racer. Watch out for Nickel Brook!
Nickelbrook is the new Camerons. i said the same thing as you did, but about Camerons, and a few years ago. Camerons kind of stopped doing cool things for a few years and, hopefully, are back on track.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Belgian wrote: By the way - I think the recent Headstock IPA on draught was really striking for its great balance and hop detail. About on par with Red Racer. Watch out for Nickel Brook!
When I went to the store to pick up some of the Kentucky Bastard, I could see they had some barrels marked with Headstock - interesting to see what they do with that.