Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Spring Craft Seasonal Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:Been wanting to try Chaman for a while, but the reviews don't make it sound that promising...
DDC beers are like people, some get along with you immediately better than others which take time to grow on you. A few are other people's best friends though you can't stand them, despite their obvious good qualities. DDC is a relationship as much as a very fine brewery. It's all about character.
In Beerum Veritas

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

Belgian wrote:DDC beers are like people, some get along with you immediately better than others which take time to grow on you. A few are other people's best friends though you can't stand them, despite their obvious good qualities. DDC is a relationship as much as a very fine brewery. It's all about character.
There's so much beauty in the world...

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

I have updated drinkvine.com with this release. Enjoy!
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JeffPorter wrote:And I'm torn because I loves me some Panil and other sour Belgians, but not really interested in anything that's a Tripel or a Belgian Pale Ale. It also strikes me as weird they would do such a release like this while doing the Dupont feature.
Me too. Despite my moniker, I've narrowed my beer likings over the years to things like good saisons, complex IPAs, and outstanding porters and stouts. I'm going to dry tastes more than fat, heavy and sweet (the calling card of many belgian ales.)
In Beerum Veritas

heebes

Post by heebes »

Belgian wrote:
JeffPorter wrote:And I'm torn because I loves me some Panil and other sour Belgians, but not really interested in anything that's a Tripel or a Belgian Pale Ale. It also strikes me as weird they would do such a release like this while doing the Dupont feature.
Me too. Despite my moniker, I've narrowed my beer likings over the years to things like good saisons, complex IPAs, and outstanding porters and stouts. I'm going to dry tastes more than fat, heavy and sweet (the calling card of many belgian ales.)
same here! not in for the tick, ill just avoid those styles and get what my tastes prefer. been burned too many times and had to suffer through a Triple i just didnt like.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

cmadd wrote:Ok guys, don't screw the pooch and publish an article about how hyped 4D is.
Article in Toronto Life (ouch) listing some spring release beers. I can see the lineup already.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

mixedup wrote:
cmadd wrote:Ok guys, don't screw the pooch and publish an article about how hyped 4D is.
Article in Toronto Life (ouch) listing some spring release beers. I can see the lineup already.
Sorry :(

But to be fair,
Gavin wrote:
No promises :wink:

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Would have preferred pretty much anywhere but Toronto Life!!!!

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

mixedup wrote:Would have preferred pretty much anywhere but Toronto Life!!!!
Why not TL? I certainly have my own opinions, I'm just curious about what your reservations are.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Gavin wrote:
Why not TL? I certainly have my own opinions, I'm just curious about what your reservations are.
I think he's refering to the fact that its widely circulated

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

PeenSteen wrote:
Gavin wrote:
Oh, I'm thinking of the average reader.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Gavin wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Gavin wrote: Why not TL? I certainly have my own opinions, I'm just curious about what your reservations are.
No....like a lot of people read it and will likely make coming across some of these more difficult since Toronto Life is a popular magazine

It also looks like the LCBO ordered an aditional 4000 or so bottles of 4D on top of the 3200 already in the warehouse

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Gavin wrote:
I know at least SOME people read ONLY Toronto life - not Chowhound, Bartowel, or even some google search reviews to form an opinion. These may be people who obediently follow Frommers travel guides because Rick Steves is literally* too adventuresome (and fun).

It's a generalist 'I don't like to think too much' cuture at least in part. So it may attract the hordes of locusts when TL publishes a thumbs-up on a beer or a new resto.

* note correct usage of 'literally.'
In Beerum Veritas

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

Belgian wrote:
Gavin wrote:
I know at least SOME people read ONLY Toronto life - not Chowhound, Bartowel, or even some google search reviews to form an opinion. These may be people who obediently follow Frommers travel guides because Rick Steves is literally* too adventuresome (and fun).

It's a generalist 'I don't like to think too much' cuture at least in part. So it may attract the hordes of locusts when TL publishes a thumbs-up on a beer or a new resto.

* note correct usage of 'literally.'
Yeah, that would be my general criticism.

mixedup

Post by mixedup »

Gavin wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:
Gavin wrote: Why not TL? I certainly have my own opinions, I'm just curious about what your reservations are.
This....exactly.