Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Spring Craft Seasonal Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

distr0

Post by distr0 »

I believe it was aged, as in they made the batch a while ago specifically for the LCBO. It has been aging for a year or more. Nothing to do with barrels

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

spinrsx wrote:lcbo prices are usually more than fair.. 8$ for a 12oz non barrel aged old ale? Is this pretty much the going rate for this stuff?
I think this is essentially the price for which it sells at the brewery. I don't believe the LCBO is gouging.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ChrisK wrote:
spinrsx wrote:lcbo prices are usually more than fair.. 8$ for a 12oz non barrel aged old ale? Is this pretty much the going rate for this stuff?
I think this is essentially the price for which it sells at the brewery. I don't believe the LCBO is gouging.
It is. Kuhnhenn has some of the most overpriced beer out there. Generally speaking, 12 oz bottles of anything they sell start at $7 at the brewery. Regular 4D was either $7 or $8 a bottle at the brewery back in December.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

ChrisK wrote:
From the Kuhnhenn website:

Bottled Beers

Raspberry Eisbock $30.00 limit 12
2012 4th Dementia Old Ale $7.00 limit 6
Simcoe Sillier $7.00 limit 12
Winter Wonder Lager $7.00 limit 12
Nine $6.00 limit 24
Christmas Stollen $7.00 limit12
Aldebaran $7.00 limit 12
Sol Invictus (Saison) $6.00 limit 12
Nine Braggot $18.00
A Few Shillings Too Many $7.00 limit 24

So you are correct and no limits.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

spinrsx wrote:8 Wired HopWired IPA now in stock, as well as DDC Chaman Imperial Pale Ale
Grabbed a box of hopwired today. Was disappointed to see the production date on the label December 11, 2012... Still tastes pretty good, but can imagine it would've been better. I guess I'll have to drink them quickly. Damn...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Masterplan wrote:
spinrsx wrote:8 Wired HopWired IPA now in stock, as well as DDC Chaman Imperial Pale Ale
Grabbed a box of hopwired today. Was disappointed to see the production date on the label December 11, 2012... Still tastes pretty good, but can imagine it would've been better. I guess I'll have to drink them quickly. Damn...
Thanks for the heads-up. I likely won't be buying a single bottle. I am getting so sick of the LCBO and its stale IPAs...

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Kuhnhenn 4D is still not listed in stock, but I picked up a bottle at the Dupont/Spadina LCBO just now. A whole shelf of them there, so likely they are around in other stores now too.

iguenard
Seasoned Drinker

Post by iguenard »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Masterplan wrote:
Thanks for the heads-up. I likely won't be buying a single bottle. I am getting so sick of the LCBO and its stale IPAs...
So how fast do you expect the LCBO to get a batch of beer from New Zealand to every doorstep in Ontario? I figure 4 months is decent, and expecting more is wishful thinking. If you want fresh, drink local.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

do we know how much of this stuff is in ontario? Will this be hard to get?
groulxsome wrote:Kuhnhenn 4D is still not listed in stock, but I picked up a bottle at the Dupont/Spadina LCBO just now. A whole shelf of them there, so likely they are around in other stores now too.

cmadd

Post by cmadd »

spinrsx wrote:do we know how much of this stuff is in ontario? Will this be hard to get?
groulxsome wrote:Kuhnhenn 4D is still not listed in stock, but I picked up a bottle at the Dupont/Spadina LCBO just now. A whole shelf of them there, so likely they are around in other stores now too.
One of the LCBO's I called said there were upwards of 3,000 units. I guess that means bottles.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

iguenard wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Masterplan wrote: Grabbed a box of hopwired today. Was disappointed to see the production date on the label December 11, 2012... Still tastes pretty good, but can imagine it would've been better. I guess I'll have to drink them quickly. Damn...
So how fast do you expect the LCBO to get a batch of beer from New Zealand to every doorstep in Ontario? I figure 4 months is decent, and expecting more is wishful thinking. If you want fresh, drink local.
but understanding that this is a product best enjoyed fresh the brewery, importer and LCBO could have figured out a way too get the product here in a quarter of that time, or, could have chosen a less perishable product to shlep across the globe

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

iguenard wrote: So how fast do you expect the LCBO to get a batch of beer from New Zealand to every doorstep in Ontario? I figure 4 months is decent, and expecting more is wishful thinking. If you want fresh, drink local.
Actually, 4 months is a long time. Shipping from New Zealand is relatively quick, and often. I get my shipments taking just 2 weeks leaving from NZ to arriving in Vancouver. You could then add another few days getting them across to Ontario.

This could be another scenario similar to the first shipment of Green Flash. Bring in old stock first as no other bugger wants it, and then hope for a success before bringing in fresher stock. Happens occasionally.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

iguenard wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
Masterplan wrote: Grabbed a box of hopwired today. Was disappointed to see the production date on the label December 11, 2012... Still tastes pretty good, but can imagine it would've been better. I guess I'll have to drink them quickly. Damn...
I'd agree with you if they were delivered by tall ship in wooden barrels to give us an authentic historic IPA experience....

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

spinrsx wrote:do we know how much of this stuff is in ontario? Will this be hard to get?
I saw about 24 on the shelf in Kingston at lunch. There were only 16 when I left... ;)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

for the ottawa people looking for 4D, I called the lcbo - this hasn't even made it to the Ottawa Warehouse yet so it will be a while