Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Brasserie Dupont Brewery Feature - March 2013

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Philip1 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:I was thinking of buying a half case of the Saison but the Cervesia is just so good I think I'm gonna pick up a half case of it instead. Highly recommended!
How many are in a case? Based on previous experience my LCBO will only order me a full case from other locations but since these Brasserie Dupont beers are all sold in singles, some of them 750ml, I'm not sure what that means.

I'm thinking I'll have to drive to Guelph or Brampton to get these. Every time I look at the distribution I notice a ridiculous number of Dupont Cervesia at one store in Barrie. There are now only 159 left but it seemed to be in the 160s for nearly two weeks thus indicating limited demand. The same place has more Biere de Miel Bio and Moinette Bruin than any other store in Ontario.
12 x 750 ml

Have a nice evening,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

So...the LCBO website is saying Saison Dupont is discontinued. What??!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ceecee wrote:So...the LCBO website is saying Saison Dupont is discontinued. What??!
... and yet only one of the three Dupont Feature beers is discontinued, the Monk's Stout (but not the Cervesia or the Bière De Miel Biologique.)

Sounds like a mistake... is it? Does it just mean the LC has no more Saison Dupont available in the warehouse at the moment - ie. it's all been shipped out to stores? It would be a relief to know if this is temporary & just awaiting a future Dupont brewery order.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

oh crap.. I better go out and get a case tonight. I knew it was too good to be true
Ceecee wrote:So...the LCBO website is saying Saison Dupont is discontinued. What??!
Last edited by spinrsx on Mon May 06, 2013 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Please rest assured that Saison Dupont is on the general list. Another PO is imminent. What you are seeing on the LCBO site is an error.

It will be corrected very soon.

Thanks for your support of this terrific brand!

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Thank God... I mean Thank R&R!
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I was just going to mention this...had a heck of a time finding the Saison over the weekend...looks like it's sold out almost everywhere.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ that is not surprising. There's been a 'drought' of Saison Dupont in this province for years so makes sense the initial order would get quickly soaked up by a) bars, b) thirsty fans of real beer and, c) more bars. The stuff does NOT go bad so people will stock up.

What we do need to watch, as supportive buyers is that SD doesn't become another LC casualty of 'oh the demand dropped slightly over 1.5 years so let's remove it from General List'. Saison Dupont is probably one of the best all-season (!) beers to enjoy and I would really miss it.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

what's the oldest bottle you've tasted? I see the best before date of 2015 on the bottles at the LCBO. How long can I realistically cellar this for?
Belgian wrote:^ that is not surprising. There's been a 'drought' of Saison Dupont in this province for years so makes sense the initial order would get quickly soaked up by a) bars, b) thirsty fans of real beer and, c) more bars. The stuff does NOT go bad so people will stock up.

What we do need to watch, as supportive buyers is that SD doesn't become another LC casualty of 'oh the demand dropped slightly over 1.5 years so let's remove it from General List'. Saison Dupont is probably one of the best all-season (!) beers to enjoy and I would really miss it.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

spinrsx wrote:How long can I realistically cellar this for?
10 years. No joke. I'm still enjoying the half-dozen bottles I have from the SAQ dating to back to 2004. I think Saison Dupont is probably immortal.
Here's to the slow path.

A
Bar Fly

Post by A »

Just had a bottle of Saison tonight - did anyone else notice it was sort of green bottle skunky? Even my wife noticed it.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

A wrote:Just had a bottle of Saison tonight - did anyone else notice it was sort of green bottle skunky? Even my wife noticed it.
The first one I had was skunk city (from the "light room" at Yonge and Summerhill), but the second one was perfect (from another LCBO). From now on I'm trying to find them before they see too much light, but I think it's just the risk they run with green glass. I'd love the brown glass version for the kind of inhuman conditions the LCBO seems to want to keep beer in, but I'm grateful to get Dupont at all. I'll live with the occasional skunky one.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

groulxsome wrote:The first Saison Dupont I had was skunk city (from the "light room" at Yonge and Summerhill)...
Will the Pepe Nero from there end up more like Pepé Le Pew?

"But of course not! The glass she is of the brown color!"
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm glad someone else said something about the saison being skunky. I had my first bottle ever the other day and thought maybe I just didn't appreciate the beer. I'll have to try another bottle from somewhere else.

JesseMcG

Post by JesseMcG »

I've had 2 bottles from the St. Lawrence Market location. Both skunked.