Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Sam Adams Utopias

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

wilco

Sam Adams Utopias

Post by wilco »

Got an email from the LCBO saying that the Utopias is coming back. Here are the pertinent details from my blog:

"Big news for fans of the Sam Adams Utopias – the LCBO is getting 400 bottles of the Utopias 10th Anniversary. To celebrate the release, Sam Adams founder Jim Koch is coming to the Summerhill LCBO in Toronto on Thursday, February 28th for a small tutored tasting event at noon. The tasting will feature four Sam Adams beers and include food pairings. Tickets will be limited – only 24 will be available. They will cost $75 and go on sale Friday, February 22nd at 8:30am. Limit of two per person by calling the helloLCBO Contact Centre at 1-800-668-5226 or 416-365-5900. Tickets also include the opportunity to buy a bottle of Utopias before the release.

The Utopias will go on sale at 8:30am on Friday, March 1 on a first-come, first-serve basis and there will be a one bottle limit per customer. The 710mL bottle will sell for $114.95 and can be bought by calling the same phone numbers (1-800-668-5226 or 416-365-5900)"

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Everyone will be different of course, but this exceeds my personal "who cares" threshold (speaking as someone who spent hours on the Westy quest).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I sampled Utopias at the (now dead) Burger Bar on 319 Augusta. It was worth a try, for sure. It is a bit like a fortified wine. For the cost of one Utopias, though you could buy a lot of great-quality sherries (Oloroso, Amontilado, Pedro Ximinez) - arguably a better quaff.

Although can't deny the SA bottle is cool.
In Beerum Veritas

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

And now it will sell out immediately, thestar covered it:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wine/2 ... hours.html

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote:And now it will sell out immediately, thestar covered it:

*sigh*

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Novelty aside, for those who have had some before, does the quality of Utopia justify the price if you were to compare it to, say, a much cheaper bottle of port or whiskey? Or can it be compared?
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

Bytowner wrote:Novelty aside, for those who have had some before, does the quality of Utopia justify the price if you were to compare it to, say, a much cheaper bottle of port or whiskey? Or can it be compared?
It is a different animal from a port or whiskey. When I first tried it, I had very low expectations and expected a boozy incomprehensible mess. I was pleasantly surprised to see how much it still tasted like beer - nice malt character, good depth, etc - and yet had taken on properties of all the different barrels and such it's aged in. I quite loved it and have been on a quest since to get a bottle, failing in both of the previous LCBO lotteries. I'll happily pay the LCBO price (which is a bargain compared to some states) if I manage to get one tomorrow.

I was quietly hoping this wouldn't get bumped again here or see media attention... guess I'll have a battle in the morning... at least we don't have to wait out in the cold for this one though!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:

*sigh*
If I had the money to spend on it I would be pissed.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

ChrisK wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:

*sigh*
If I had the money to spend on it I would be pissed.
I do want to try it and may even shell out the 20-25 bucks for an ounce, but for 30 dollars less, I could buy a bottle of the John Hall Port Wood whiskey, which is damn fine.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Saying through clenched teeth while shaking my fist....."I swear to God, Rubin, you write one word about Kuhnhenn 4D and I'll........"

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

man, this is a tough call.
it is equivalent to spending $$ on a good bottle of scotch. so if you can justify that, then spend a few minutes to try to get one.

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Still have yet to crack my bottle from the last sale, couldn't justify buying this one this morning. Congrats to those that did
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

grub
Seasoned Drinker

Post by grub »

woohoo, I finally got one! 20min of busy signals, then 20min on hold, but i was victorious!
@grubextrapolate // @biergotter // http://biergotter.org/

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

grub wrote:woohoo, I finally got one! 20min of busy signals, then 20min on hold, but i was victorious!
Congrats! I was able to get one last year. I think even with the media attention, seeing that this is the 3rd release those on the board who are diligent should be able to score one!

KW1

Post by KW1 »

I managed to get one as well this morning. :D Solid busy lines.