Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

new IPAs at LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mintjellie wrote:
Belgian wrote:^ I might call those aromas "wild, wet meadow, herbaceous, weedy, earthy, mineral, mushroom, woody or leafy-humus" - or variously along those lines.
Dank is another thing entirely. Dank gets used when the hop aroma reminds you of the sticky-icky.
Right, I said 'weedy' which is a euphemism for pot (just like catty is a less blunt euphemism for cat urine.). Simcoe can be very weedy to me, we could even say a kind of 'herbal dankness' but in a good way.

Personally I might use the word 'dank' to mean something like 'damp stone cellar' - OR even an unpleasant off-taste from a bad pint.
In Beerum Veritas

heebes

Post by heebes »

GregClow wrote:Peen - aside from the Founder's, are the other new IPA arrivals (Green Flash, Hop Circle, Elysian, etc.) special one-offs or permanent listings?
I believe these are all here permanent listing.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

it's crazy how fast these IPA's are selling. The stock levels of founders/philips/greenflash/rogue brutal bitter compared to yesterday are so much lower. People in Ontario are starved for good IPAs.

hangunder

Post by hangunder »

spinrsx wrote:it's crazy how fast these IPA's are selling. The stock levels of founders/philips/greenflash/rogue brutal bitter compared to yesterday are so much lower. People in Ontario are starved for good IPAs.
Agreed, it's pretty amazing. Especially considering how it seems like they're stocking them sometimes quite far from the other beers, in "California Style" displays that require some hunting for in the stores :D

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

spinrsx wrote:it's crazy how fast these IPA's are selling. The stock levels of founders/philips/greenflash/rogue brutal bitter compared to yesterday are so much lower. People in Ontario are starved for good IPAs.
I doubt it. I think, like the Westy gift packs, this is driven more by Johnny come-lately's and hype than a mass of beer geeks who have been lurking in the shadows.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

heebes

Post by heebes »

surprised no one mentioned yet
NAC wrote:Elysian Immortal IPA being released tomorrow!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bytowner wrote:
spinrsx wrote:it's crazy how fast these IPA's are selling.
I think, like the Westy gift packs, this is driven more by Johnny come-lately's and hype than a mass of beer geeks who have been lurking in the shadows.
Sorry I disagree. Good USA-style IPAs seem to have always had a much wider market than just the fringe of extreme beer geeks. They're an ubiquitous style that becomes widely-accepted - IF the market will let them take hold, which here has finally happened.

That's nothing at all like Goose BBCS, Westy 12 or SA Utopias, 'cult' beers which are not sold year-round. We ARE starved for everyday IPAs and it looks like the market here gradually snowballs.
In Beerum Veritas

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Belgian wrote: Sorry I disagree. Good USA-style IPAs seem to have always had a much wider market than just the fringe of extreme beer geeks. They're an ubiquitous style that becomes widely-accepted - IF the market will let them take hold, which here has finally happened.

That's nothing at all like Goose BBCS, Westy 12 or SA Utopias, 'cult' beers which are not sold year-round. We ARE starved for everyday IPAs and it looks like the market here gradually snowballs.
I disagree with your disagreement. I definitely don't buy that the folks who were drinking Stella a few months ago were just holding out for Two Hearted to show up. At this point in time Ontarians drink what the beer pundits tell them to drink. Yes, most new drinkers will gravitate to happier beers, but sincerely doubt they knew about Founders or Green Flash before now.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Belgian wrote: Maybe you mean fresh, clean vegetation aromas such as grass...I pick up those a lot.
Had one again last night and grassy is the better descriptor.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

heebes wrote:surprised no one mentioned yet
NAC wrote:Elysian Immortal IPA being released tomorrow!
Any sightings of this yet?

mol_son

Post by mol_son »

http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.c ... hip%202013

Nice to have some good IPA's to choose from. Still, by the best of my count only 5 of the 128 (and if you can find any Yellow Snow, all are available now) in the competition have been on sale in Ontario at any time.

Boneshaker lost to Oggi's Pizza & Brewing Co in the first round.

Was surprised to see that Pearl St. Brewing had a couple of beers in the bracket and actually won a round (although it was Mendocino).

Here is the link for DIPA
http://brackets.brewingnews.com/tmenu.c ... hip%202013
Last edited by mol_son on Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

not trying to push my luck here, but it would be nice if the lcbo had set up these 'Love Hops - IPA Feature' things in one of the refrigerated sections of the store instead of a warm table. Especially considering most of the beers featured say 'Keep refrigerated" on the package.

Baulz

Post by Baulz »

spinrsx wrote:not trying to push my luck here, but it would be nice if the lcbo had set up these 'Love Hops - IPA Feature' things in one of the refrigerated sections of the store instead of a warm table. Especially considering most of the beers featured say 'Keep refrigerated" on the package.
The displays of IPA at one store I go to was no where near the beer section either.

Easy solution for the warm table, buy them the day they arrive and get them in your fridge!

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

Baulz wrote:The displays of IPA at one store I go to was no where near the beer section either.
I had to ask for help to find those...

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

happy founders day in ottawa! It's listed at several places now. As well as the rocs grand cru