Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO strike vote

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

SteelbackGuy wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
rejtable wrote:My issue would be more at the store level. How much does a floor worker (CSR?) make at the LCBO compared to someone at Home Depot, or the Future Shop, or something like that? I get that the LCBO has this whole social responsibility thing with keeping alcohol from minors, but the guy working at Macs does the same with cigarettes.
That's probably the real question here. All we know is that they make less than $100,000 a year. lol
I made less than $30,000 last year. Yeah, I`m spoiled.
Full-time, part-time, or casual?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Part-time and Casual are the same thing....While the hourly wage may be higher than other retail establishments there is a huge chunk of casual employees that work less than 20 hours a week even with 6-7 years of seniority. In smaller stores there are guys/gals that are only scheduled Friday and Saturday night. Unless your are lucky enough to be in a busy store (like myself) being a Casual/Part Time employee can be pretty junk.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:That's probably the real question here. All we know is that they make less than $100,000 a year. lol
I made less than $30,000 last year. Yeah, I`m spoiled.
Full-time, part-time, or casual?

I am a Casual with 8 years seniority.
I work 6 days of the week, but the shifts are short so I need to go in for small shifts to make ends meet. Not crying the blues, just stating matter of factly. 65 % of our workforce are casuals.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

SteelbackGuy wrote: I am a Casual with 8 years seniority.
I work 6 days of the week, but the shifts are short so I need to go in for small shifts to make ends meet. Not crying the blues, just stating matter of factly. 65 % of our workforce are casuals.
Thanks, PeenSteen and Steelback for the info.

How are these breakdowns any different than in the rest of the retail sector? That full-time/part-time split doesn't seem that out of whack for the sector. Is it?

What about benefits/pensions, etc? How does that compare to the sector?

EDIT: and just so we're clear, not asking this to be nosy, just trying to better understand the issues.

zane9

Post by zane9 »

What's ridiculous, among other things, is that LCBO "system" does not reward a person like Steelbackguy...someone whose knowledge has a high signal-to-noise ratio.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

rejtable wrote:
SteelbackGuy wrote: I am a Casual with 8 years seniority.
Thanks, PeenSteen and Steelback for the info.

How are these breakdowns any different than in the rest of the retail sector? That full-time/part-time split doesn't seem that out of whack for the sector. Is it?

What about benefits/pensions, etc? How does that compare to the sector?

EDIT: and just so we're clear, not asking this to be nosy, just trying to better understand the issues.

The benefits the full timers get are about equal to what a lot of people would get in a full time position in the private sector. As a casual I have no benefits. I can qualify for them if I work a certain amount of hours, but the threshold is so high, that I might as well be full time.
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

***New thought***

As an aside to what I have already said, I realize I have forgotten something.

In case you're wondering just how contentious this round of bargaining will be, just walk in to your local LCBO and listen to the songs they are playing. Soon, you will hear one of the new automated announcments regarding the CHECK 25 program. The announcement talks about having your ID ready, and than thanks the patrons for keeping the community safe. From what, I am not sure.....but here is my point...

The fact that the suits at the BO have went so far as to play this message, tells me that they are very worried about their futures at the LCBO. The Social Responsibility game is all they have, and they are trying to engrain the people of this province with such thoughts.
If there is a strike, Ontarians will have little patience for it....but the empathy may come in the fact that if enough people are on board with the whole Social Responsibility thing.....what do you think?

nickw

Post by nickw »

I was sort of wondering why I'd been hearing those "have your ID ready" pre-recorded messages a few times in the past week or so, when I can't remember ever hearing them before. Explains a lot.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

zane9 wrote:What's ridiculous, among other things, is that LCBO "system" does not reward a person like Steelbackguy...someone whose knowledge has a high signal-to-noise ratio.
Actually, one of the new suggestions the board is putting forth (with which the Union disagrees with of course), is to actually promote assistant managers based on merit.
The current model allows for assistant managers to basically fall into place based on seniority. One does not have to earn the position. After 20 or so years as a full time, you basically fall into the position if the timing is right ( you do need to apply for it). Thing is, half the assistants do nothing more and earn $5000.00 more a year. Most of the ones I have ever had are not cut out for any type of management position, assistant or otherwise.

When it comes to this, I would actually agree with the board.

JesseM
Seasoned Drinker

Post by JesseM »

SteelbackGuy wrote:...The Social Responsibility game is all they have, and they are trying to engrain the people of this province with such thoughts.
If there is a strike, Ontarians will have little patience for it....but the empathy may come in the fact that if enough people are on board with the whole Social Responsibility thing.....what do you think?
Well thank GOD someone is at last THINKING OF THE CHILDREN! :o

mintjellie
Seasoned Drinker

Post by mintjellie »

Those announcements aren't starting soon, I heard on playing when I was at the store on Bayfield Street in Barrie last night.
SteelbackGuy wrote:***New thought***

In case you're wondering just how contentious this round of bargaining will be, just walk in to your local LCBO and listen to the songs they are playing. Soon, you will hear one of the new automated announcments regarding the CHECK 25 program. The announcement talks about having your ID ready, and than thanks the patrons for keeping the community safe. From what, I am not sure.....but here is my point...

The fact that the suits at the BO have went so far as to play this message, tells me that they are very worried about their futures at the LCBO. The Social Responsibility game is all they have, and they are trying to engrain the people of this province with such thoughts.

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

mintjellie wrote:Those announcements aren't starting soon, I heard on playing when I was at the store on Bayfield Street in Barrie last night.
SteelbackGuy wrote:***New thought***

I know. I meant soon as in "soon after you start listening to the music in the store". They have been playing for 2 weeks now. Really silly.

velovampire
Seasoned Drinker

Post by velovampire »

SteelbackGuy wrote:Soon, you will hear one of the new automated announcments regarding the CHECK 25 program. The announcement talks about having your ID ready, and than thanks the patrons for keeping the community safe. From what, I am not sure.....
Heard it the other day and, outside of my intial bewilderment, I kinda loved it. I felt like I was part of some '80s dystopian future sci-fi/horror flick, and I really dug it. This world is a shitty, shitty place, and I'm glad I'm in it.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

rejtable wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
atomeyes wrote: i found this page the other day.

http://www.glassdoor.ca/Salary/LCBO-Sal ... 311955.htm

people have to realize that this is taxpayers' money.
I think your inference is extremely unfair. Looking at some of the titles of the people listed, I don't have a problem with them making what they make. If they worked in the private sector in simlar jobs they would likely earn similar money. Sometimes I think people lose perspective and think that no government job should pay a good salary because it is "taxpayer money" but if you want to be able to rectruit qualified people for these positions, you have to be willing to pay them what the private sector would pay them.
Agreed. The LCBO is a huge retail operation. How much do District Managers or whatever with similar responsibilities work for similar retail operations? Perhaps the LCBO has more of these jobs than a similar retail operation, but those salaries by themselves don't look too crazy to me. I have very little experience in that industry though, so I'd be happy to be told I'm wrong.

My issue would be more at the store level. How much does a floor worker (CSR?) make at the LCBO compared to someone at Home Depot, or the Future Shop, or something like that? I get that the LCBO has this whole social responsibility thing with keeping alcohol from minors, but the guy working at Macs does the same with cigarettes.
depends.
there are claims that LCBO is way too top heavy for its own good.
i don't have issues with paying someone market value. but if you have too many someones, you should look at trimming fat - just like most organizations do

zane9

Post by zane9 »

velovampire wrote:... I felt like I was part of some '80s dystopian future sci-fi/horror flick, and I really dug it. This world is a shitty, shitty place, and I'm glad I'm in it.
Oh you'll love it until the announcement names you personally. "Have your ID ready, velovampire. Yes, you." :wink: