Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Bush Pilot Stormy Monday

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bush Pilot Brewing

Bush Pilot Stormy Monday

Post by Bush Pilot Brewing »

Finally! Our Calvados barrel aged barley wine is starting to show up in stores.
Please let us know what you think of it.

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=329359

Enjoy it!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Is this a good candidate for cellaring?

Bush Pilot Brewing

Post by Bush Pilot Brewing »

squeaky wrote:Is this a good candidate for cellaring?
Very much so - it would actually benefit from additional cellaring.

Thanks,

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

They had these at Queens Quay yesterday, but you had to ask someone to go get one for you.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

squeaky wrote:They had these at Queens Quay yesterday, but you had to ask someone to go get one for you.
I grabbed 2 at St. Lawrence Mkt, they had them in the back.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

i grabbed one today... will find an opportunity to try it soon.

phirleh
Seasoned Drinker

Post by phirleh »

Bush Pilot Brewing wrote:Finally! Our Calvados barrel aged barley wine is starting to show up in stores.
Please let us know what you think of it.
I'm enjoying one right now, this is good stuff. The calvados adds a real interesting twist flavour wise, not your typical barrel flavour. The heart of this beer is a barley wine, but there is a nice complexity to it. Considering the list of spices and maple syrup that went into this, there is a really nice harmony going on here, none of them beats you over the head and it's very waming without being cloying.
Malam cerevisiam facieus in cathedram stercoris

"God don't want me yet, man, I got more feet to taste."
photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/phirleh/se ... 039468171/

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

I grabbed a bottle of this at cooper st yesterday. If anyone is looking for it at that store you have to ask for it as they are selling it by request only out of the back. Still 44 bottles when I left the store at 4:30 yesterday.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

matt7215 wrote:you have to ask for it as they are selling it by request only out of the back.
Huh?? :-?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's because they have such a limited supply. The guy I talked to said he was holding it back because he knew if it went on shelves it would sell out in a day and he wanted to save it for people who actually asked for it and thus would be more likely to appreciate it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

It was on the shelves in the usual way at Wilson + Dufferin yesterday.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I was disappointed to be honest and I wanted to like this beer, given the impressive ingredient list. Imo the cardamom and cloves dominate the flavour too much and the body is very thin for this style, making the barley wine categorization almost unrecognisable.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

I'm sad to say this, as I was really looking forward to this beer, but I wasn't blown away. I didn't hate it, but there was much to be desired. First and foremost it exhibited an unfortunate astringent bitterness that I often find in barleywines that perhaps go to heavy on the hops(can't say whether or not that was the case here. it could have been unresolved alcohol). It wasn't in your face like some others I've had but it was enough to impact the experience.

I think the spices were a little too heavy handed as well with the cardamom and clove dominating the flavour profile. The nose was more pleasant and definitely showcased the dried fruit additions and calvados barrels which was the primary reason I was excited for this. I'm curious how long it matured in the barrels.

It was an ambitious project and all things considered it could have turned out a lot worse. I think you guys have your hearts in the right place and I hope you don't take my criticism personally. I look forward to your next offering and I think once you've had a chance to refine your style you'll give us something really special.

studious

Post by studious »

Based on these reviews, I think I'll let my bottle spend some time in the cellar before cracking! Maybe next winter.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

squeaky wrote:It's because they have such a limited supply. The guy I talked to said he was holding it back because he knew if it went on shelves it would sell out in a day and he wanted to save it for people who actually asked for it and thus would be more likely to appreciate it.
Weird. So now employees are allowed to pre-qualify who can buy a beer, while other would-be buyers are excluded from even finding it?

I mean the heart's in the right place, but this is an equal-access system. (-ish.)
In Beerum Veritas