Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Single Bottle Codes

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

Kel Varnsen wrote:Is there a single bottle code for Nickle Brook Naughty Neighbor? I was at the LCBO today and the same old story. There was a six pack holding 4 bottles. I figured if they sold two already they must be able to sell me one. But when I tried to buy one the woman at the counter scanned it and it came up as a 6 pack. I told her it was from a pack with 2 bottles missing but she told me that she could only sell the six pack. Even though I explained that someone else must have bought two bottles, she couldn't do it.
At my local in Kitchener they just use the $2 domestic bottle code. The last few times I went, there were 6ers with 3-4 missing, so I bought a full 6 and got the singles too. I know I'm gonna get burned when it says they have 3-4 in stock but they're nowhere to be found.

They really like pleasing customers at my local. A few months ago I went in for the BIA IPA and Hop Wired, it was ordered in for the Bent Elbow so they didn't have it on the shelves but had some available. Since they didn't know what it looked like, they brought me in to the warehouse to help look for it.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

is there a single code for Brooklyn summer ale?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:is there a single code for Brooklyn summer ale?
No not yet anyway...same for Muskoka Summer Weiss

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

is there a single code for Collective Arts Rhyme And Reason?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

spinrsx wrote:is there a single code for Collective Arts Rhyme And Reason?
just buy the 6, it's awesome!
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

TheBeeraholic
Bar Fly

Post by TheBeeraholic »

Most stores in my experience of you tell em to 895671 code it they will.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
^this^

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

matt7215 wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
^this^
High five! :D
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

TheBeeraholic wrote:
Most stores in my experience of you tell em to 895671 code it they will.
Most stores know this fuck their inventory and the craft breweries your trying to "support"

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I agree with Peen. We can't have it both ways - lamenting (in another thread) that there are no cost-effective six packs coming out from local brewers any more, only 650 ml bottles - but then screwing them over by cherry picking singles. Buy the six pack!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

midlife crisis wrote:I agree with Peen. We can't have it both ways - lamenting (in another thread) that there are no cost-effective six packs coming out from local brewers any more, only 650 ml bottles - but then screwing them over by cherry picking singles. Buy the six pack!
The obvious solution, assuming the LCBO co-operates (no rogue store managers!), is the open six pack. Buy the six or buy singles.
lister

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

This is only for new products that singles are not available for sale right away. Anything with an open package will have a single code roughly 3 months after going to retail. If it has a single code, the LCBO has to sell it to you period. Once this has a single code I will post it here for those interested.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

lister wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:I agree with Peen. We can't have it both ways - lamenting (in another thread) that there are no cost-effective six packs coming out from local brewers any more, only 650 ml bottles - but then screwing them over by cherry picking singles. Buy the six pack!
The obvious solution, assuming the LCBO co-operates (no rogue store managers!), is the open six pack. Buy the six or buy singles.
Grab a 6-pack.
Pay for it.
Take a bottle out, put it in your pocket / backpack / whatever.
Get back in line.
Return the 5-pack.

Done.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PeenSteen wrote:This is only for new products that singles are not available for sale right away. Anything with an open package will have a single code roughly 3 months after going to retail. If it has a single code, the LCBO has to sell it to you period. Once this has a single code I will post it here for those interested.
PeenSteen wrote:Most stores know this fuck their inventory and the craft breweries your trying to "support"
I will never understand the convoluted approach (A above) nor the animosity (B above) toward solving such a simple problem. Instead of doing the obvious they frustrate people's natural buying behavior and make the customer to blame.

it's odd because the LCBO has a lot of good systems that support product returns etc, acting in our interests which you'd expect from a State acting as a retailer. What's creating one more system to deal with single bottles in an intelligent way that circumvents problems?
In Beerum Veritas

SteelbackGuy
Beer Superstar

Post by SteelbackGuy »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:

Exactly.

Sheesh, I haven't been here for months and you guys are still going on about your singles. Single single single......buy the damn 6 pack. If you're pretty sure you won't like a beer anyway, why even bother buying a single?
If you`re reading this, there`s a 15% chance you`ve got a significant drinking problem. Get it fixed, get recovered!