Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beer Store Store Upgrades

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Beer Store Store Upgrades

Post by Cass »

I always love that it's 'news' to do things that are years, if not decades behind the times. And not talk about that fact :-)

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/05 ... eover.html
Beer Store: A high-tech makeover

The “beer wall” is getting a makeover.
The Beer Store, the brand name for the privately owned Brewers’ Retail operation, is kicking off the start of the 2013 beer selling season with the unveiling of four new pilot project outlets.
The locations, three in downtown Toronto and one in Oakville, incorporate new branding and store design features.
And they offer a new way of selecting and buying beer, with digital touch screens displays in two outlets replacing the traditional wall of labels that some customers have found difficult to read.
A graphic wall application made to resemble a chalkboard that lists brands sold across the province is also being tried while one store has take-away printed price sheets that list individual pricing of brands sold in the store.
The fresh branding and merchandise includes new colour schemes for advertising and merchandise, expanded beer fridges, more streamlined, dedicated bottle return recycling and the new beer wall that encourages customers to learn about the beer they might want to buy.
The Beer Store’s employees have also gone through a training course to become “ambassadors” for beer.
Andrea Randolph, retail vice-president, said the Beer Store will launch a “community-focused” advertising campaign and collect feedback on the new design in coming months before deciding on which changes will be rolled out across the chain of more than 440 outlets.
Other design changes include:
New employee uniforms in new colours, logo and slogans on the back saying either Beer Champion or Beer Enthusiast;
New branded singles carriers and new beer gift cards;
Refreshed retail gear such as pilsner glasses and openers
Ambient music and helpful, pleasant staff.
Retail industry consultant Len Kubas, chair of KubasPrimedia, said the Beer Store is adjusting to a new style urban clientele that values innovative marketing and may be interested in sampling smaller quantities of beer.
He also said the chain is reacting to the growth of the LCBO, which has used a focus on marketing and branding to chip away at the Beer Store’s dominance.
The four stores to have received a makeover are:
Bathurst and College, Danforth and Greenwood, Parliament and Winchester and Hopedale Mall in Oakville.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Does this mean the Beer Ambassadors will look less quizzically at the eclectic mix of empties I bring them every so often?

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

So instead of the big wall, it is replaced with a small touchscreen?

Jeebus, that is probably even worse for seeing what's available.

Regardless, it has been a while since I've purchased something from The Beer Store.

nickw

Post by nickw »

Wonder how often the touchscreens will be given a good sanitizing wipe-down. Lord knows they'll need it.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sstackho wrote:So instead of the big wall, it is replaced with a small touchscreen?

Regardless, it has been a while since I've purchased something from The Beer Store.
If TBS is to be believed, the touch screens will also have a bunch of information available about the beers, rather than just the logo and bottle sizes they have on the wall now. If that pans out, I see this as a good thing.

I mean it won't make a difference for the people who are far enough into beer to post on a forum like this, but if it puts a little more information in the hands of the masses I see no reason to criticize TBS for it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cass wrote:I always love that it's 'news' to do things that are years, if not decades behind the times. And not talk about that fact :-)
Perhaps TBS stores have a historic value, like a museum or heritage site that is a time capsule from another century.
In Beerum Veritas

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

squeaky wrote:
sstackho wrote:So instead of the big wall, it is replaced with a small touchscreen?

If TBS is to be believed, the touch screens will also have a bunch of information available about the beers, rather than just the logo and bottle sizes they have on the wall now. If that pans out, I see this as a good thing.

I mean it won't make a difference for the people who are far enough into beer to post on a forum like this, but if it puts a little more information in the hands of the masses I see no reason to criticize TBS for it.
it will probably be a touch screen, and every time you go to touch it to read about beer like Urthel Hop-It or a Unibrou beer, it "accidentally" links you to Molson's website.

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

Just tried to grab some Maudite, got a pop-up on the screen saying "Are you sure you don't want to Make 'er a Laker?"
^^^Hop-head ^^^

Inkling

Post by Inkling »

Someone told me that the LCBO used to be like the Beer Store, that you'd write down your selection on a little piece of paper and the employee would go into the back and bring you out your bottle and put it in a paper bag to take home, lest you feel shame for buying such an evil vice. Is that true? Given the esoteric liquor laws that are still in effect, I would not be surprised to hear that it is. How long ago was that the case?

Have to give the LCBO at least a bit of credit for evolving with the times. Brewers' Retail still seems to be something out of a bygone era. If it weren't for returning my empties, I'd never darken their doors.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Absolutely 100% true. Still in existence (at least at my hometown store) circa 1974-75. Don't remember exactly when they changed over, or whether it was a gradual process.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

squeaky wrote: I mean it won't make a difference for the people who are far enough into beer to post on a forum like this, but if it puts a little more information in the hands of the masses I see no reason to criticize TBS for it.
The only problem then is if TBS knows enough about their product. After someone had mentioned it on here, I decided to look up Boxer Watermelon. TBS website lists it as "stout/porter"