Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Summer Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

I've received a price list for the release, and have updated the first post above accordingly.

If that $4.85/750 ml price for the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace isn't a typo, then it's an absolutely insane bargain!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

what the..

I wonder how long of a shelf life this beer has. I would love to stock up
GregClow wrote:I've received a price list for the release, and have updated the first post above accordingly.

If that $4.85/750 ml price for the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace isn't a typo, then it's an absolutely insane bargain!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

That MUST be an error...think I paid about 11 bucks for it last ime in florida. On second thought shhhhh...don't say anything and maybe they won't catch it....
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Un-Paralleled Mixed Pack, Dominus, Hofbrau Hefe Weizen, Blanche Des Honnelles Strong Belgian Wheat Ale and Scaldis Blonde Triple Extra Strong Belgian Ale showing stock too

just when I finished spending a fortune on the spring release..

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Picked up the Jacobins, Scaldis, Abbey De Rocs, and Thornbridge at the LCBO on Wilson by Yorkdale. Also got some Hop-it and the new Double Trouble pilsner. On a side note, that was probably the most epic LCBO I have seen. The entire beer section was refrigerated, and the selection was amazing.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

dwt

Post by dwt »

GregClow wrote: If that $4.85/750 ml price for the Brooklyn Sorachi Ace isn't a typo, then it's an absolutely insane bargain!
seems to be half price from the States, also seem to remember it at about $25/bt at bars.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

most of the new release, including 3 of the Renaissance a the Atrium this aft. I took only 1-2 of each.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bad news - I heard from James Hume, product manager of beer & cider at LCBO, that the Sorachi Ace had to be dropped from the release due to "packaging issues".

Still a solid release, but I was quite looking forward to that one in particular....

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I knew it was too good to be true

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm sipping my first Jacobins right now. It's really excellent.

How will this one change with aging? Anyone have any experience with it? I find sours to be somewhat unpredictable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

squeaky wrote:I'm sipping my first Jacobins right now. How will this one change with aging?
I can't wait to try it. I guess based on Goudenband if Jacobins has a full flavor and 'creamy' body just as it is right now, it might be quite stable - maybe get less sweet and show more acid / more barrel over time?

This sounds off the hook as far as bang for buck. I can only get so excited about 3-Font Gueuze ($22.80) though the wild fermentation, blending & bottle conditioning / aging should make for a complex & challenging brew.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I hope it doesn't go more acid. It's very sour as it is.

I'm really having a hard time deciding how many I should cellar. The general lack of decent sours in Ontario makes me want to put quite a few away, but I would hate to end up with a bunch of beers I don't particularly like. Plus, my space is somewhat limited and I have a big US trip coming up that should fill it up with stuff from Ommegang and Allagash plus whatever I can find in beer stores.

If only this were a general list item.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

GregClow wrote:Bad news - I heard from James Hume, product manager of beer & cider at LCBO, that the Sorachi Ace had to be dropped from the release due to "packaging issues".

Still a solid release, but I was quite looking forward to that one in particular....
Any indication on what this packaging issue was? Its a strange problem, considering Brooklyn has managed to ship out quite a few beers over the past few years.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

squeaky wrote:I'm really having a hard time deciding how many I should cellar.
2¢. If you really like it, but aren't sure about keeping it, why not split the difference and buy half a case? That's a cheap investment but you still have enough to keep you going for a little while.

"There will always be more great beer." - this mantra is the remedy for over-hoarding.
In Beerum Veritas