Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Doppelbock Volcano

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Doppelbock Volcano

Post by Lukie »

The last 5 bottles of Aventinus I have tried have exploded their frothy, creamy goodness, leaving me with a sticky, malty mess. Anyone else? And why does this happen, given that the beer was not agitated for 24 hours or so? Somehow I thought this was physically impossible.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

I don't recall if this beer is bottle conditioned or not. If it is not bottle conditioned then it is likely infected. Either way if you have any left chill them down really cold before opening, that will greatly reduce how much gas is released when it is opened.

irishkyle21

Post by irishkyle21 »

I'd also try prying off the cap as slowly as possible. I've found it helps with over carbonated bottles.
We can get drunker than this!!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

irishkyle21 wrote:I'd also try prying off the cap as slowly as possible. I've found it helps with over carbonated bottles.
Reduces the shockwave effect of too sudden a pressure change from the bottle neck.

Yes bottle-conditioned. I don't think German beers tend to be infected, in my own experience.
In Beerum Veritas

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

After a few successful openings, yet another violent eruption on my keyboard today. At least 10% of this delicious nectar ejaculated, yet again. Took it out of the fridge, waited 45 minutes and kaboom!!!, I'm mopping up a swamp. Must be a temp. differential thing. Damn you Schneider bastards! Bring back the Eisbock - those things never exploded on me.

Derek
Beer Superstar

Post by Derek »

It's a Weizenbock, not a Doppelbock.

The protein from the wheat provides plenty of nucleation sites... if they've kraussened for carbonation and didn't get it exact, it could have excessive carbonation.

Open it when it's cold (it'll hold more CO2 in suspension). If you don't want to drink it that cool, let it warm up... but don't leave it sealed!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

So open the bottles near the sink, and have a big glass ready for the foam-up. Problem solved!
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Just had this happen last week with a Dunham Belge....such a shame, what a great beer

chris_schryer

Post by chris_schryer »

This happens to us at Castro's too. Bottles of Duvel often go off as well. As Derek noted, that lovely haziness gives millions of nucleation points.... While chilling and steady hands opening can help, if it's over-carbonated, it's going to go no matter what. Open near a sink, and enjoy what is left behind.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

admviolin wrote:Just had this happen last week with a Dunham Belge....such a shame, what a great beer
Bah, opened up my only bottle of Dunham Belgian IPA. A huge gusher.

Bad beer! Very bad beer!! Go to your room.

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

sstackho wrote:Bah, opened up my only bottle of Dunham Belgian IPA. A huge gusher.

Bad beer! Very bad beer!! Go to your room.
Same thing happened to mine a month ago. The highway from Quebec musta been extra bumpy that day......