Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Winter Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Drinking a Buxton now. Pretty good!
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

JoeMcPhee

Post by JoeMcPhee »

Just finished drinking a Buxton now - insanely good.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

JoeMcPhee wrote:Just finished drinking a Buxton now - insanely good.
Really? These bottles are dated August 8, 2013 - almost 6 months old by this point...

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

They are still pretty solid for being old.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

nickelass wrote:They are still pretty solid for being old.
I guess we're spoiled - while the LC fails at getting us some IPAs nearly as fresh as we'd like, at least we rarely find years-old stock lurking on the shelves here as we can in some USA retail shops.

Black IPA especially might need time to 'knit together' and not my favorite style grouping, a really inconsistent category.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Just had my first Buxton. I'm a big Black IPA fan, and this is pretty solid.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

there's a bottle date on these? I only see a best before
liamt07 wrote:
Really? These bottles are dated August 8, 2013 - almost 6 months old by this point...

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

spinrsx wrote:there's a bottle date on these? I only see a best before
liamt07 wrote:
Bottles at Dufferin and Wilson are still in the case, which has the production date printed on them.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

spinrsx wrote:Just had my first Buxton. I'm a big Black IPA fan, and this is pretty solid.
Well I'm of mixed ethnicity, and the Buxton sounds worth trying so I'll grab one.
In Beerum Veritas

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

so, if 72 bottles of Gulden Draak 9000 show up on LCBO.com & drinkvine.com and are gone by the time I get to the store does that mean that they got picked up by a local restaurant?

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

kafercrazy wrote:so, if 72 bottles of Gulden Draak 9000 show up on LCBO.com & drinkvine.com and are gone by the time I get to the store does that mean that they got picked up by a local restaurant?
Could be in the back. When I when to Laird they were showing 96 but none of the shelf. Make sure to ask! (especially in this case as 72 is an even 3 cases)

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

biegaman wrote:
kafercrazy wrote:so, if 72 bottles of Gulden Draak 9000 show up on LCBO.com & drinkvine.com and are gone by the time I get to the store does that mean that they got picked up by a local restaurant?
Could be in the back. When I when to Laird they were showing 96 but none of the shelf. Make sure to ask! (especially in this case as 72 is an even 3 cases)
I asked. And it they couldn't find it on the computer at the register.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

kafercrazy wrote:I asked. And it they couldn't find it on the computer at the register.
Odd. I remember someone on here posting before that sometimes if the stock is in the warehouse but already been allocated to the store, it can show up as if the store already has it. Maybe it's on its way? Can anyone else speak to this?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

draak had a weird distribution. Only 2 stores in the ottawa area ever received it. Even the founders feature went to more stores

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:draak had a weird distribution. Only 2 stores in the ottawa area ever received it. Even the founders feature went to more stores
Oakville never received any, so I called the Flagship store on Cornwall and asked them to order some from the London warehouse (which had stock).......and then they did.

Sometimes you just need to ask the person responsible for ordering at each store to bring in certain products.

Certain stores order from certain warehouses.........so sometimes it can be difficult to get certain products. For example......Oakville orders from London warehouse, not Toronto. This is why they couldn't get any Rochefort 10. It was in the Toronto warehouse.