Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Didn't notice anything weird with the Scotish ale. The porter is drinking nice too.
lister

Grey

Post by Grey »

Got the last Breakfast Stout from QQ, but I was told there's over 1000 in the warehouse.

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

Just picked up some Dirty and Backwoods Bastard and Porter at Waterloo South. Currently only the Dirty Bastard is on the floor, and none are showing inventory. Strongly suggest anyone looking for this to contact a store that usually gets the features and see if it's in.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Everything but the breakfast stout is at the store in Aurora, and is moving fast.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

QQ is sold out of the breakfast stout already. Guy said they would be getting more by Wednesday or so next week.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Atrium at Bay and Dundas only had Dirty Bastard and Backwoods Bastard.

Glad I trekked out last night to QQ...The snow today is stupid.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

a surprise store has it:

OTTAWA-NEPEAN 120 RIOCAN AVENUE
STRANDHERD & GREENBANK (BARRHAVEN)
613-825-1160 Dec 14, 2013 17
spinrsx wrote:that's probably it. Maybe Carling/Woodroffe?
Kekumba wrote:So...

Richmond/Kirkwood, Rideau/KE, Bank/Walkley, Orleans Innes, and...

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

The pale ale doesn't have the best ratings on RB but I grabbed one six anyway; it'll be interesting to compare it to Rhyme which I already have on hand.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/founders-pale-ale/3170/

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I actually haven't been blown away by this feature so far. The Pale didn't do much for me and the porter was good but not as good as some others in the LCBO right now, I like Deschuttes and Nutcracker better. Scotch ales just aren't my style, so it's not fair for me to judge the other ones. I got a 4 of the backwoods and I guess I liked it more than any other of the style I've tried. All fine beers, but not as exciting as I was hoping for. I'm sure the breakfast stout will wow me, it is supposed to be the star of the show after all.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

squeaky wrote:I actually haven't been blown away by this feature so far. The Pale didn't do much for me and the porter was good but not as good as some others in the LCBO right now, I like Deschuttes and Nutcracker better. Scotch ales just aren't my style, so it's not fair for me to judge the other ones. I got a 4 of the backwoods and I guess I liked it more than any other of the style I've tried. All fine beers, but not as exciting as I was hoping for. I'm sure the breakfast stout will wow me, it is supposed to be the star of the show after all.
I'm inclined to agree with about the Porter. I just had my first one and it didn't blow me away. Last night I had a Backwoods Bastard and Breakfast Stout and really enjoyed them both.

I didn't buy the Pale Ale or Dirty Bastard so I can't comment on those. At this point, I'd definitely buy more Breakfast Stout when it becomes available and probably hold off on the others.

Double Trouble is still my favourite beer I've had from Founders and one of my all time favourites beers ever.

schomberger

Post by schomberger »

For me, the porter is awesome. I was actually concerned that it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations but it did. Better than the deschutes IMO,
harder to compare to the nutcracker with the cinnamon element, which is excellent also. Creamy, rich chocolatey malted milk flavour with minimal bitter, better than Edmund Fitz and Anchor, again IMO. This will be my go to porter as long as it's here!

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

schomberger wrote:For me, the porter is awesome. I was actually concerned that it couldn't possibly live up to my expectations but it did. Better than the deschutes IMO,
harder to compare to the nutcracker with the cinnamon element, which is excellent also. Creamy, rich chocolatey malted milk flavour with minimal bitter, better than Edmund Fitz and Anchor, again IMO. This will be my go to porter as long as it's here!
Agreed.....IMO this is the best porter not named Everett

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

PeenSteen wrote:Agreed.....IMO this is the best porter not named Everett
I agree, Founders Porter, is great, and then I had Everett after my Vermont trip last month. Both are world class.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

just had the porter, found it a bit too sweet but still amazing

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

having a dirty bastard now, tastes like it should.

I had an older bottle a few weeks ago and preferred it to fresh. A little more like a barley wine.
lister wrote:Didn't notice anything weird with the Scotish ale. The porter is drinking nice too.