Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I'm a little less excited about this release now for some reason. I am still excited about the Porter and Stout, but that's pretty much it. Scotch Ales are my least favourite style of beer. Unless it's Radical Road's Canny Man... then it's the worst fucking beer I've ever tasted. :D

More excited about the Rochefort 10.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Have to agree with others that the Porter is an exemplary, near-perfect example of the style, and the Breakfast Stout is phenomenal as always. Several Ontario crafters make better APAs than the Founders Pale, so while it was nice to try again I likely won't be grabbing another sixer. Glad to hear that the Dirty Bastard is drinking well; I held on off on buying any after reading about the media tasting but I'll be sure to get some now.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

breakfast stout is listed now.. by the looks of things, this stuff is going fast

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/lcbo/produ ... ber=354787

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Just my two cents, being a founders noob...

1. I still haven't bought the porter yet, but hopefully this week at some point.
This beer sounds like it's my speed. Not as big as the heavy hitters, but just a classic American robust porter. Can't wait to try it - and wished I didn't hold off...

2. Breakfast - fantastic beer, and while I technically love all those flavours together, I always feel conflicted with coffee stouts and porters, as I rarely want to consume something coffee-flavoured in the evening. It's just my brain confused, I think.

3. Backwoods Bastard - Wow! This seems like a beer designed personally for me. Love Scotch Ales, and love good BBA beers. The sweetness and the barrel flavours are seamless. And I can't believe it's north of 10% Anyone know the specs on how long they age it and in what barrels? I'm guessing whatever bourbon barrels they can get their hands on...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Wow, the Scarborough distribution for this release appears to be crap! Or else I'm jumping the gun... thanks to you all starting a BarTowel clusterf**k panic as usual. 8)
In Beerum Veritas

Bull_Schott

Post by Bull_Schott »

JeffPorter wrote:...

2. Breakfast - fantastic beer, and while I technically love all those flavours together, I always feel conflicted with coffee stouts and porters, as I rarely want to consume something coffee-flavoured in the evening. It's just my brain confused, I think.

You're missing the key information about the beer, it's a breakfast stout.

Grey

Post by Grey »

cratez wrote:Have to agree with others that the Porter is an exemplary, near-perfect example of the style
I haven't tried a whole lot of porters and until having the Founders I can say Black Butte was easily the best porter I've had. I'd have to sample them side by side but it wouldn't surprise me if I like the Founders porter better... it is such a well made beer.

As for the breakfast stout... well I'm on a mission to acquire more, that's all that needs to be said :D

Lastly, I guess like most people I would agree that the low point of the feature is the pale ale (and the BA ratings backs this up)... Collective Arts Rhyme & Reason is much better.

MaltyTasker

Post by MaltyTasker »

Grey wrote:As for the breakfast stout... well I'm on a mission to acquire more, that's all that needs to be said :D
Please, not until I get a first taste!

kafercrazy

Post by kafercrazy »

pretty disappointed by the limited release of these beers (so far, hopefully)

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Belgian wrote:Wow, the Scarborough distribution for this release appears to be crap! Or else I'm jumping the gun... thanks to you all starting a BarTowel clusterf**k panic as usual. 8)
I always have to drive in to Laird from Scarborough to get the new releases. I did find Deus at the Golden Mile LCBO though.

Stroonze

Post by Stroonze »

Breakfast stout is available at the big Aurora store.

heebes

Post by heebes »

very brutal rollout for this release. my store didnt even get the Pale with the others...

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

Neither Manulife nor Jane and Dundas have received even a single bottle from this release, yet. That's... surprising and frustrating. Those two stores are pretty consistent with receiving the new releases.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

JProulx wrote:Neither Manulife nor Jane and Dundas have received even a single bottle from this release, yet. That's... surprising and frustrating. Those two stores are pretty consistent with receiving the new releases.
Neither store was on the list but then neither was the store on York and Ridout in London but they received 3 of the release....go figure!

Don't feel bad, closest stores to me are Guelph, Oakville or London.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Hm, I see a few Breakfast Stout in stock at Richmond/Kirkwood. Anyone see anything in Ottawa today?