Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Lolocaust.

I was originally excited... then I stopped caring... then I still didn't care, as no excitement has been renewed. I posted three seperate times.

My point was, it seemed like whatshisface got really cunty about someone not being excited about this release anymore.

My excitement waned mostly due to the large number of Imperial Stouts and Belgians that have inundated the LCBO as of late. Even beer from Ontario, like the Kentucky Bastard. And stuff like Double Tempest and Bellwoods knocking shit out of the park with Donkey Venom and Blitzen (among others from Bellwoods). That and the lame distribution of this feature so far have caused it to be overshadowed from me. Maybe I was crying for help, hoping someone else didn't care much about this anymore either.

If I'm going to get in the car and drive 30 minutes or more for beer right now, I'll be driving right to the front door of Bellwoods.

All that being said, depending on weather, I WILL be driving right by Queens Quay location tomorrow... so I'll probably stop in for some Breakfast Stout. :D

nickw

Post by nickw »

there were a couple boxes of BS hiding in the backroom at King & Spadina at lunch -- had a nice enough employee go bring them out. Grabbed a couple 4-packs but hopefully there's some for those who want left.

kevinlater

Post by kevinlater »

just called the meadowvale lcbo, the lady said that the breakfast stout 4-packs will be on the shelves tomorrow morning. save some for me, okay guys?

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Whole bunch of breakfast stout at Front and Sherbourne...they even added a table for them (like an extension to the aisle end)

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I decided to care again because I was at the LC by my gf's work in Richmond Hill and stopped in on the way to pick her up this evening. I knew they had all the Founders except the stout according to the website, but I guess I got lucky. I grabbed the last four pack of Breakfast Stout even though it wasn't listed as of yesterday... and the two scotch ales and the porter.

The porter is delicious. As I said, porters and scotch ales aren't my favourite styles, those being Belgian Strongs and Imperial Stouts and IPAs, but they've been growing on me a lot lately. This one is really very nice and tasty.

I wonder how I'll feel about the Scotch Ales consider they are also lower on my scale of favourite styles.

In a way, these beers are perfect for me... maybe I was just trying to trick myself into not caring enough to travel... but I was able to snag them on the way home from work, whic his perfect.

Suck it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Blasphomet wrote:I was originally excited... then I stopped caring... then I still didn't care, as no excitement has been renewed. I posted three seperate times.
Blasphomet wrote:I decided to care again...
The police often question him, just because they find him interesting.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

:)

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

It's good that someone who cared, then didn't care, then still didn't care, then only cared because the case was in front of him, got some. We wouldn't want those that have cared the entire time to get some. :o

My point is really directed at the LCBO and their terrible rollout than you Blasphomet. I'm sure I'll eventually get the Breakfast Stout... next time I'm in Michigan.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

weird, we got the breakfast stout and the dirty bastard in ottawa, but none of the others.

I guess in order to try all 5 of the founders beers I will have to make 5 separate trips to the lcbo.

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

nickw wrote:there were a couple boxes of BS hiding in the backroom at King & Spadina at lunch -- had a nice enough employee go bring them out.
Still all in the stock room as of this morning - we had to get someone to go into the back for it.

He came out with a case and jokingly said "You wanted the whole case, right?". My wife shocked him a bit with her enthusiastic "YES!" response. :wink:

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

GregClow wrote:
nickw wrote:there were a couple boxes of BS hiding in the backroom at King & Spadina at lunch -- had a nice enough employee go bring them out.
He came out with a case and jokingly said "You wanted the whole case, right?". My wife shocked him a bit with her enthusiastic "YES!" response. :wink:
Sounds pretty similar to the impromptu run down to the states for Lag Sucks that my GF "forced" me into last night. She definitely took Ethan by surprise with ravenous enthusiasm for her favourite beer.

Regarding the Founders release - the LCBO refused to send any of it to Hamilton, according to an employee at the Dundurn location. So he talked to the sales rep for Founders and who went to another store, bought a case of each, and returned them to Dundurn. Gotta game the system!
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.

4ster

Post by 4ster »

Just popped into Summerhill.... inventory as of last night (20th) showing 38 cases of Breakfast, when I got there, there were only 2 left on the shelf, so if you were planning to go there, you may have to cross your fingers and hope they've got a few more kicking around in the back (though it seems impossible to find a lcbo employee these days stocking shelves at the busier locations ...)

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Cale wrote:

Regarding the Founders release - the LCBO refused to send any of it to Hamilton, according to an employee at the Dundurn location. So he talked to the sales rep for Founders and who went to another store, bought a case of each, and returned them to Dundurn. Gotta game the system!
Ah that's explains it, I walked in and saw it sitting there and suddenly felt shooting pains in my arm, the LC actually included Hamilton in a Feature?

I know what was I thinking. Good on the Founders sales rep and the Dundurn staff.

May hit the States in the next day or so, where did you get the Lag Sucks from?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:It's good that someone who cared, then didn't care, then still didn't care, then only cared because the case was in front of him, got some. We wouldn't want those that have cared the entire time to get some. :o

My point is really directed at the LCBO and their terrible rollout than you Blasphomet. I'm sure I'll eventually get the Breakfast Stout... next time I'm in Michigan.
I hear ya, brother.

Cale
Bar Fly

Post by Cale »

Ukie wrote:
Cale wrote:

Ah that's explains it, I walked in and saw it sitting there and suddenly felt shooting pains in my arm, the LC actually included Hamilton in a Feature?

I know what was I thinking. Good on the Founders sales rep and the Dundurn staff.

May hit the States in the next day or so, where did you get the Lag Sucks from?
Yeah we had been emailing Josh at Dundurn about it. Pretty depressing that the LCBO refused to send any. Josh also mentioned they were trying to get on the brewery feature list for 2014 and on, but I have no idea how likely that really is.

Grabbed the Sucks at Premier. Drove through hell to get it... Don't go there hoping for the Firestone Walker 17 they tweeted about though, as I was the asshole who got the last one!
A shark on whisky is mighty risky. A shark on beer is a beer engineer.