Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Has Ottawa even seen anything other than Dirty and Breakfast?

Second largest market in the province and we get shafted while a town like Collingwood with less than 20,000 people gets the full lineup.

Ridiculous.

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

They'll get here. Eventually. Be prepared to go 5 separate times to get them. You may have to go to a couple different stores too.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:He came out with a case of FBS and jokingly said "You wanted the whole case, right?". My wife shocked him a bit with her enthusiastic "YES!" response. :wink:
She's a keeper Greg.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ceecee wrote:They'll get here. Eventually. Be prepared to go 5 separate times to get them. You may have to go to a couple different stores too.
I think this is the VINTAGES policy - they tell this to the wine buyers with every release as well...
In Beerum Veritas

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Ceecee wrote:They'll get here. Eventually. Be prepared to go 5 separate times to get them. You may have to go to a couple different stores too.
...in a couple different cities!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Was buying a good wine anyway so I - somewhat mischievously - grabbed a single Breakfast Stout out of a four-pack that was already partially empty. Just to see...

It did not scan of course so they rang it out at - yes you guessed it - domestic single code of 1.90 + .10 deposit. Am I evil? 8)
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Belgian wrote:Am I evil? 8)
Or are you a just man in an unjust society? :roll:

ECBS

Post by ECBS »

FEUO wrote:
SRM wrote:Heads up for the Windsor people, I just picked up some Backwoods at the Lauzon location. There wasn't anymore on the shelf but chances are the Roundhouse might still have it even though the lcbo website never listed it as being in Windsor.
Roundhouse is not getting any.
What was on the shelf at Lauzon was all that I left. ;)
Didn't want to be greedy and let some other fine beer folk in the city have some. Did you grab both 4 packs?
This is terrible news! I held off on grabbing the leftovers at Lauzon because the manager at Roundhouse told me weeks ago that he had ordered Backwoods and Breakfast Stout.

You know, it'd be really nice if they'd let you know when your order is a no-go.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

ECBS wrote:
FEUO wrote:
SRM wrote:Heads up for the Windsor people, I just picked up some Backwoods at the Lauzon location. There wasn't anymore on the shelf but chances are the Roundhouse might still have it even though the lcbo website never listed it as being in Windsor.
Roundhouse is not getting any.
What was on the shelf at Lauzon was all that I left. ;)
Didn't want to be greedy and let some other fine beer folk in the city have some. Did you grab both 4 packs?
This is terrible news! I held off on grabbing the leftovers at Lauzon because the manager at Roundhouse told me weeks ago that he had ordered Backwoods and Breakfast Stout.

You know, it'd be really nice if they'd let you know when your order is a no-go.
I am only speaking for what I was told, and it wasn't by the manager at that store. Rather by the manager at another store who had to beg and plead for what they got.
Its been a dogfight all over the province.

But maybe once they start catching up to orders some may hit the Roundhouse. Who knows who is getting theirs or what they are having to do to get it.
I do know that the store I will be going to from now on has had a 2000% increase in craft beer sales since the manager there took over. How? No idea. Likely by providing the best selection of craft beer in the city.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

FEUO wrote:I do know that the store I will be going to from now on has had a 2000% increase in craft beer sales since the manager there took over. How? No idea. Likely by providing the best selection of craft beer in the city.
- vindicates that 'if you actually bother to sell it, they will come.'

I get the feeling some stores just don't care, would rather avoid the effort & and this works against everyone else - all the breweries, the importers and the retail buyers. But that's for the 'LC Debate' thread. ;)
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

for the ottawa people that haven't had a chance to get the founders beers yet, the orleans lcbo has the whole lineup in stock

Eli

Post by Eli »

Finally had one of the Backwoods Bastard and I'm impressed. I usually don't go for scotch ales but this is face-melting good.

Having had everything from the release now I'd have to say I'd love for the Porter to be available all year. That is one fine every day beer.

I was also a bit disappointed by the Breakfast Stout, maybe having Peche Mortel available on tap made me more discerning? Whilst a different take on the same style I think it did have an influence on how I feel about this one.

Both the pale ale and Dirty Bastard were fine drinks but did not care that much about them.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

as much as I'm loving the founders brewery feature.. do we know who the next brewer to be featured is?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

spinrsx wrote:as much as I'm loving the founders brewery feature.. do we know who the next brewer to be featured is?
Here's hoping for Stone...

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ercousin wrote:
spinrsx wrote:as much as I'm loving the founders brewery feature.. do we know who the next brewer to be featured is?
Here's hoping for Stone...
Two American breweries in a row? We aren't that lucky. I'd wager that we'll see a European brewery next.