Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

For those looking for the discussion about cross-border beer shopping that had sprung up here - I've split it off into its own thread:

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=9428

IPA_Lover

Post by IPA_Lover »

For those still looking for Breakfast Stout in the Toronto area I found around 6 of the 4-packs at the Eglinton and Laird LCBO yesterday and I only grabbed two.

Anyone seen Backwoods Bastards around? I'm open to a trade for one of my Stout 4 packs.
^^^Hop-head ^^^

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

IPA_Lover wrote: Anyone seen Backwoods Bastards around? I'm open to a trade for one of my Stout 4 packs.
A couple days ago there was still some Backwoods and Dirty Bastard left at the Queens Quay store but the site isn't showing stock of the former anymore. Might be worth calling to check. Most of these beers flew off the shelves in the first three weeks of the release.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

There are still tons of BS, DB & PA at the Scottsdale LCBO here in Guelph. Limited Porter and very few BB.

I wish I bought an extra Porter instead of the extra BS I have. I find the BS a bit... underwhelming.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, that was my impression too, much to my surprise (given the hype). I loved the Porter and Backwoods Bastard though - both really excellent.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I'm actually enjoying the Pale Ale.. reminds me a little of of the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (which I love)

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

Count me as one of those who favour the porter. The Backwoods Bastard is surprisingly good (speaking as one who does not particularly like scotch ales), and the FBS is good (even for those who are not into coffee), but the porter is terrific. I have gone through a number of these and wish it was a regular listing. We can dream...
Ren

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It has all gone ridiculously fast. In recent years LC has gotten (better) at noticing what sells faster than they can stock it, then re-ordering it.

Hope this is true of Founders Pale and Porter. I haven't even seen some of the feature release.
Most of these beers flew off the shelves in the first three weeks of the release.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Slightly OT, but if anyone is pining for the Founders Porter, I can't recommend highly enough the (plain) GLB Harry Porter that is in cans at their retail store. It is very comparable - and just great.

EDIT: thought about it more and decide to open one of each for a side by side. Founders wins on mouthfeel; creamier, smooth and full. GLB, however, has a better roasty/hoppy finish. At the end of the day they are very similar and I'd be very happy indeed with either.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

Anyone in Ottawa want to swap some Backwoods for the Breakfast Stout? I got a case of the Breakfast Stout, but no Backwoods, and now some of the people I bought for don't want it. I'd even go 4 for 2 just to clear some space up.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

could always just exchange the BS for the BB, seems to be some kicking around at the lcbo according to drinkvine. Also, the barhaven lcbo got the breakfast stout but no backwoods, so maybe it just hasnt landed there yet.

Kekumba wrote:Anyone in Ottawa want to swap some Backwoods for the Breakfast Stout? I got a case of the Breakfast Stout, but no Backwoods, and now some of the people I bought for don't want it. I'd even go 4 for 2 just to clear some space up.

Grey

Post by Grey »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:I wish I bought an extra Porter instead of the extra BS I have. I find the BS a bit... underwhelming.
I disagree about the BS being underwhelming... so much flavour yet it's not over-powering or overly rich.

I will agree with others that the porter is maybe the biggest surprise though. It would be great if it becomes a regular listing... though not great for Ontario brewers as I would be regularly stocking my fridge with the Porter and Centennial.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

According to Drinkvine, there are still 30 sixers of the Porter at Summerhill, 14 at Crossroads, 12 at Leaside, etc., so it is hardly sold out. Unless this is phantom stock?

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

midlife crisis wrote:According to Drinkvine, there are still 30 sixers of the Porter at Summerhill, 14 at Crossroads, 12 at Leaside, etc., so it is hardly sold out. Unless this is phantom stock?
I saw some Porter at the King and Spadina location last Friday, so these are likely just the last few sixers in the province rather than phantom stock!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Grey wrote: I disagree about the BS being underwhelming...so much flavour yet it's not over-powering.
groulxsome wrote: these are likely just the last few sixers in the province rather than phantom stock
^ What they said ^
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott