Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Founders Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

icemachine
Beer Superstar

Post by icemachine »

Jonah Hex wrote:Sticker shock aside, at least we're getting it. Other places didn't because of that label:
http://beerpulse.com/2012/08/founders-b ... hampshire/

http://archive.beersweden.se/archives/2651
I find it interesting that the "Live Free or Die" state has the same ridiculous regs Ontario does
"Everything ... is happening" - Bob Cole

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Belgian wrote:That markup plus gas could definitely kill a trip from Hamilton.

Would the LC stores here IST you one full case to Hammertoe I wonder... you could then split that with your buds, or you could always return any 4-packs you don't want for the next happy customer. Worth dropping in to ask!
Did just this and at the store they said it was too early to do anything as none of the Founders had made it in yet for testing.

Anyone hear about a delay? Actually saw that it was supposed to start Dec 2nd....seems a little far fetched now.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

anytime we *really* want a beer that the lcbo is supposed to stock, there is some sort of random delay. Would assume founders will be the same

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So wait a second. Is the LC changing the label on the BS?

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Blasphomet wrote:So wait a second. Is the LC changing the label on the BS?
No

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jonah Hex wrote:Sticker shock aside, at least we're getting it. Other places didn't because of that label:
http://beerpulse.com/2012/08/founders-b ... hampshire/

http://archive.beersweden.se/archives/2651
Wow the Sweden label-over thing is exactly what I predicted the LCBO doing, operative word 'predictable' not 'sensible'. Remember Aphrodisiaque with sharpie pen crossed over the name? I suggest we NAB this beer before Concerned Citizen calls in a complaint to pull the FBS, and Josh Rubin has to revamp the same story he wrote for Delirium Tremens, et al.

And the Alabama ban on "Bastard" in beer names (holy denial, Alabama!!) is just amazingly funny. Even in the second meaning how is Bastard worse than Megalomaniac, Narcissist, or any other playful product name?
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So i guess this won't be having December 2nd release after all?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

first post says dec 8th.. no?

either way, I wouldn't count on seeing this until just before christmas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

spinrsx wrote:either way, I wouldn't count on seeing this until just before christmas
The media tasting for the Winter and Founder's releases is this coming Wed Dec 4th. We should find out then if there are any delays anticipated.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

saw that peen posted this on BA: 'Founders is in the LCBO warehouse and looks like its through lab testing, shouldn't be any delay on this (at least not a lengthy one)'

good news :)

heebes

Post by heebes »

how was the media tasting? any word? any standouts?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

heebes wrote:how was the media tasting? any word? any standouts?
I quite liked the Porter. And it goes without saying that the Breakfast was awesome.

There was something funky going on with the Dirty Bastard, though - both bottles had an aroma that some of us described as raw squash or pumpkin, and others as dry cat food. And the flavour seemed off as well. Hopefully it's isolated to the couple of bottles we had at the tasting - they can sometimes be older bottles that were sent in advance of the main shipment - I'll be curious to see what the ones that hit the shelves are like.

Oh, and the Breakfast Stout will be delayed a bit due to a labelling issue. Not the main label - they managed to get that approved - but because it contains chocolate, federal regs means it has to have an allergen alert label. So it'll be in stores mid month or so.

4ster

Post by 4ster »

I've had Dirty Bastard before and didn't pick up any of those flavours... it just tasted much like a Scotch Ale.....strange.... perhaps it was just a combination of trying all the beers at once?

JProulx

Post by JProulx »

GregClow wrote:Oh, and the Breakfast Stout will be delayed

HNNNGGGGH

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I called it.
spinrsx wrote:anytime we *really* want a beer that the lcbo is supposed to stock, there is some sort of random delay. Would assume founders will be the same