Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Holiday Gifts release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Hi folks,

If you recall, the LCBO previously would never bring both the Vintage and the RIS in the same year. They weren`t convinced consumers would want to buy both. :roll:

This unique vertical idea is for Ontario only (single tubes for rest of country) - for a couple reasons:

*to allow consumers who couldn`t get the Vintage last year (since the `BO didn`t bring it in) -- to have it this year
*to show the LCBO that both Vintage and RIS could co-exist on the shelf and both sell without collecting dust

Hopefully we will be able to show the LCBO that both Vintage and RIS can be released every year in the single format.

Fingers crossed,
Barry

PS
Please email the LCBO `Consumer Feedback` and let them know you would like to see both Vintage and RIS every year. merci!

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Frere Ambroise wrote: PS
Please email the LCBO `Consumer Feedback` and let them know you would like to see both Vintage and RIS every year. merci!

'been doing this for a couple years, myself...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
*to allow consumers who couldn`t get the Vintage last year (since the `BO didn`t bring it in) -- to have it this year
Vintage 2012 most certainly was available in lcbos last year. You mean 2011?

PS
Will do.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

You are correct -- got them mixed up. Vintage is "even" years - Russian is "odd".

So RIS was scheduled this year whereas Ontario folks missed out on 2011 & would've missed out on 2013 if we didn't do the Vertical pack.

Hopefully we can have both available as separate single items for next year.

Cheers,
Barry

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Frere Ambroise wrote:You are correct -- got them mixed up. Vintage is "even" years - Russian is "odd".

So RIS was scheduled this year whereas Ontario folks missed out on 2011 & would've missed out on 2013 if we didn't do the Vertical pack.

Hopefully we can have both available as separate single items for next year.

Cheers,
Barry
So did they plan on doing the vertical three years ago and hold back stock for that purpose? Are they holding enough back to do more verticals in future years if the LCBO tells you that's the only way to have both on the shelves?

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

squeaky wrote: So did they plan on doing the vertical three years ago and hold back stock for that purpose? Are they holding enough back to do more verticals in future years if the LCBO tells you that's the only way to have both on the shelves?
Doubt they planned it specifically. I got to Qc often, and there are usually a couple years of these releases on the shelves at various deps, so I think some are being held onto with the intent of selling as a vintage.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

the lcbo's around here are running out of St. Ambroise Russian Imperial Stouts, will there be more shipped out?

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Hi folks,

Back in 2011, we resisted the temptation of putting all our Vintage out in the market -- we held on to a bunch. Though 2012 saw the LCBO carry the Vintage, again - we held enough back to do something truly unique.

The Vintage Vertical would be the first of its kind (we think) and the LCBO was excited at the prospect. Even to the point they requested exclusivity of this "Vintage Vertical" and took everything we could assemble in a Trio pack.

We are keeping our fingers crossed that both Vintage & RIS can co-exist for next year at the LCBO. Your support means everything -- let them know you want both!

The "Vertical" concept worked really well - looks like we will again hold back inventory in future years to do it again. Likely see something like this in a couple years.

We noticed that there are still some a couple hundred cases of Vintage Verticals and RIS in the LCBO warehouse - and have requested them to release the rest of the stock to the stores across the province.

Hope this info helps...

Cheers,
Barry

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

boney wrote:No Fullers Vintage this year? Bummer.
Fuller's 2013 is around, and getting very favorable reviews - smooth big and drinkable now, some comparison to Rochefort 10 (!).

I like all the pomp and ceremony of these VA series, and of course some of these one-off beers are actually really good. I have some backlog of older vintages to clear out and want to put some 2013s away.
In Beerum Veritas

robinvboyer

Post by robinvboyer »

Anyone have some bottles of the Twisted Thistle kicking around from the Belhaven gift pack? Just noticed there are two different versions of the beer. Im wondering if the gift pack has the euro version that is 5.3%, compared to the US version that is 6.1%. I noticed a big different in these recent beers from bottles ive had in the past.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Funny you should mention this. I bought the Bellhaven pack as I've enjoyed the Twisted singles previously and I wanted to try the Stout. I could have sworn 1 of the 2 Twisted bottles was mis-labeled as it did not taste how I remember or expected.

The other bottle did taste as I had expected.

toweringpine

Post by toweringpine »

robinvboyer wrote:Anyone have some bottles of the Twisted Thistle kicking around from the Belhaven gift pack? Just noticed there are two different versions of the beer. Im wondering if the gift pack has the euro version that is 5.3%, compared to the US version that is 6.1%. I noticed a big different in these recent beers from bottles ive had in the past.
I thought maybe it was my memory playing tricks on me. I loved Twisted Thistle whenit was at the LCBO about six years ago. I was all excited to try it again in this mixed pack but when I did, it fell far short of what I remembered. I didn't research to see if there was a change but if there are two different versions then maybe I will get the try the beer I enjoyed so much in the past again one day. On the upside, I had not tried the stout before and I really enjoyed it.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I see the Panil Enhanced has been marked down to $12.75

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Ukie wrote:I see the Panil Enhanced has been marked down to $12.75
Oh, nice! Let me go scoop a bunch of those up!

(loljk)