Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO 2013 Holiday Gifts release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

The one beer people in Ottawa don't really need. (I can get 2 bottles of this in gatineau for for the price of 1 at the lcbo)
squeaky wrote:Who was it that was complaining the other day about not getting the good beer in Kanata? Well, here's a nice change of pace for you: You're the first to get the Uni 17 listed this year.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

Beers in tubes in cardboard triangles.
Sorry squeaky -- you are right - it's what inside that counts.... We appreciate the feedback as we didn't set out to make life difficult for you personally. The LCBO denied our first attempt at three rubber bands wrapping the three tubes together. Didn't quite meet their specs for shipping.

So we decided to go with a different 'angle' ... a "TRI- angle" actually. Seeing as there are three beers. Three = Tri. Majority of people actually like the packaging as it was something completely different and (we think) has never been done before. Like the beer inside - we wanted it to stand out.

Cheers,
Barry

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Frere Ambroise wrote:
Sorry squeaky -- you are right - it's what inside that counts.... We appreciate the feedback as we didn't set out to make life difficult for you personally. The LCBO denied our first attempt at three rubber bands wrapping the three tubes together. Didn't quite meet their specs for shipping.

So we decided to go with a different 'angle' ... a "TRI- angle" actually. Seeing as there are three beers. Three = Tri. Majority of people actually like the packaging as it was something completely different and (we think) has never been done before. Like the beer inside - we wanted it to stand out.

Cheers,
Barry
Sounds fine to me. Say, about that mini vert, how much did the LCBO take/order? The roll out has been weak thus far.

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

mini vert, how much did the LCBO take/order?
We had enough to create 400 cases. With 4x 3packs in each case. Total is 1600.

By all accounts - it is moving quickly.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Frere Ambroise wrote:

Cheers,
Barry
Wait...it's not all about me? Well I never!

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Frere Ambroise wrote:

Cheers,
Barry
Toss me into the "don't like" ring on the packaging, but whatever, I'd buy it if it was packaged in a pink elephant's butt.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

rejtable wrote: I'd buy it if it was packaged in a pink elephant's butt.
That's the next Brew Dog packaging...
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

4ster

Post by 4ster »

Eli wrote:Has anyone here had the Panil Enhanced yet? I quite like their sour but have been reading not so great stuff about it.
Panil Enhanced (final) is showing up in stores. As I haven't had them before and do enjoy my belgium sours, thought I'd give it a try.

To be honest I quite like it. Not a typical sour. Imagine your bottle of prosecco, blended with a Belgium blonde, and that is exactly what it tastes like.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I didn't think it was a sour at all.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

rejtable wrote:
Frere Ambroise wrote:

Cheers,
Barry
Toss me into the "don't like" ring on the packaging, but whatever, I'd buy it if it was packaged in a pink elephant's butt.
I think the two things we can all agree on are the beer is good and the packaged vertical angle is pretty cool too, certainly a new thing for our market.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

GregClow wrote:66027 / St Ambroise Vintage Ale 3-pk / 3 Pack / $17.95
- 2011, 2012 and 2013 St. Ambroise Vintage Ale
I have a 2009 & 2010 in my cellar, so this pack is perfect for me!

Also have a 1999, which I think I'll open next year. :)
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

anyone tried this yet?

66027 / St Ambroise Vintage Ale 3-pk / 3 Pack / $17.95

how do we know for sure they didn't pull one of these? ;)

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:anyone tried this yet?
I have it, but haven't tried any from it yet.
spinrsx wrote:

Look into the bottle and all will be revealed (use a light). The 2013 is crystal clear, with next to no sediment at all. The 2011/12 have significantly more sediment.

On top of that, the 2012 bottles I have were all over-filled. The 2012 in the pack is consistent with the ones in my cellar in that regard (the other two years are more normal).

Im sad I haven't seen a solo 2013 release the way we got the 2012 last year (and the RIS this year). Who wants to buy several fancy packs just to get the current release??

jrenihan

Post by jrenihan »

66027 / St Ambroise Vintage Ale 3-pk / 3 Pack / $17.95
I tried one of the 2013s over the weekend. I thought it was quite good, but I have always enjoyed this beer. It is hard to remember past impressions and past vintages, but it didn't strike me as remarkably different from any other bottle I have had.
Ren

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

instantkamera wrote:
I have it, but haven't tried any from it yet.
spinrsx wrote:

Look into the bottle and all will be revealed (use a light). The 2013 is crystal clear, with next to no sediment at all. The 2011/12 have significantly more sediment.

On top of that, the 2012 bottles I have were all over-filled. The 2012 in the pack is consistent with the ones in my cellar in that regard (the other two years are more normal).

Im sad I haven't seen a solo 2013 release the way we got the 2012 last year (and the RIS this year). Who wants to buy several fancy packs just to get the current release??
If they do the vertical thing every year, it won't bother me. If they switch between the vertical and single bottles it will be a bit of a pain.