Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Saison Dupont

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Just bought one today to help keep it alive :)

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

Been keeping track to see if we would get any:
12 Saison Dupont are now available at Lynden & Wayne Gretzky Pkwy
Unless this is a pvt order, Ill be grabbing some.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

We have listed Saison Dupont at a few more stores including the Supermall LCBO in Sudbury.

Our goal is to keep increasing this weekly so please check the LCBO site for the latest stock.

The main obstacle seems to be stores that are over sku'ed as well as those that have personnel that feel that Saison is solely a summer beer.

In any case, keep supporting the product and educating people that Saison is for all seasons! It is a good match for almost any dish despite the fact that no two bottles are exactly alike, that is the beauty of Saison Dupont.

Cheers!
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Roland + Russell wrote:The main obstacle seems to be stores that are over sku'ed as well as those that have personnel that feel that Saison is solely a summer beer.
I find it troubling if the number of SKU's on the store's system looks more important to some people than the bottles on the store shelf.

I'd love them to check out the 9-foot racks of beers at Premier Gourmet, where they have a bazillion beers that each occupy a single row just one bottle wide. Now that's what a lot of SKU's look like. These are arranged for a wider selection, not for the store worker's convenience. And they aren't just sitting there empty when nobody gets around to stocking & organizing that precious & costly retail shelf space.

Actually here you go, anyone at the LC may find this helpful - God bless:
In Beerum Veritas

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Belgian wrote:I find it troubling if the number of SKU's on the store's system looks more important to some people than the bottles on the store shelf.

I'd love them to check out the 9-foot racks of beers at Premier Gourmet, where they have a bazillion beers that each occupy a single row just one bottle wide. Now that's what a lot of SKU's look like. These are arranged for a wider selection, not for the store worker's convenience. And they aren't just sitting there empty when nobody gets around to stocking & organizing that precious & costly retail shelf space.
I was thinking the same thing. Why is it that the LCBO goes so de-listing crazy when it can't keep it's shelves packed with about ten different beers stacked five wide? Like, (I know this is the wrong thread) why was the St. Ambroise Vintage pack discounted to move quicker when a private store likely would be happy to hold on to those well into the year? The LCBO system seems to encourage binge shopping if you actually want to have anything.

Anyway, to echo your picture, here is a picture from a friggin' Whole Foods in Portland, Maine. Can the LCBO maybe try to match a chain grocery store's level of service and selection? (Note the one neat row of saison dupont which doesn't seem in threat of being hauled from the shelves because the store isn't selling a wall of it weekly.)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ my new wallpaper!

Exactly, why do our local LC shelves sit half empty just because someone decides the store is 'over SKU'd'... there's more room for high-quality, perrennial world classics like this thread's subject, SD.
In Beerum Veritas

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

Can we have some more in Ottawa, please? Maybe try it at Bank & Walkley or in the Glebe.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

There was a crapload of Dupont on Innis yesterday.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

rejtable wrote:There was a crapload of Dupont on Innis yesterday.
Feeding my habit ;)
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Frere Ambroise

Post by Frere Ambroise »

groulxsome wrote: why was the St. Ambroise Vintage pack discounted to move quicker when a private store likely would be happy to hold on to those well into the year? The LCBO system seems to encourage binge shopping if you actually want to have anything.
This was painful. Last fall we had it released with much fanfare. Stores were phoning me up wanting to receive stock. Summerhill sold out and requested more from the warehouse. All told from LCBO warehouse "We are sold out. Allocated stores have received their stock." Basically, you get what you get.

Trouble is - the LCBO Warehouse "lost" 300 units of our Vintage Pack for over a month. Instead of moving them around when they did find them - they picked a dozen stores in Toronto and right before Xmas "forced" them with the newfound stock. Some of those stores were pretty small too. A few stores expressed that they have already sold to their local clientele and this extra stock would sit. So - the LCBO decides to discount the product ASAP.

So in early February, I ended up loading the van and transferred a bunch to stores in Collingwood, KW, London, and Windsor. Stores that wanted it in the first place but weren't allowed to get any. Ouch.

That was a weird one... never had the warehouse "lose" stock before.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

So the latest shipment sold out pretty quickly. I'm kicking myself for not buying more. Does anyone know if we'll be getting any more Saison Dupont in in the next few months?

Roland + Russell

We are happy to say that more Saison Dupont is arriving in September. There are some stores still showing limited stock, especially those in cottage country.

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcbo/pr ... ber=311688

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Any update on when you expect this to hit and which stores? I need to ask one of them to order a case just for me.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Any update on when you expect this to hit and which stores? I need to ask one of them to order a case just for me.
If this helps I've just seen it physically at the Queen/Waverley Beaches store. More hits.
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

A fresh shipment of Saison Dupont arrived to the LCBO warehouse August 29. We should see the beer on the shelves by month's end.

Another shipment is arriving at the end of October so there should be plenty to enjoy throughout the holiday season.

Look for another special offering from Brasserie Dupont as part of the LCBO Holiday Release.

Thank you for supporting Brasserie Dupont!

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com