Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Can Ottawa end provincial alcohol meddling?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Can Ottawa end provincial alcohol meddling?

Post by Bytowner »

I have no idea, and think Brian Lee Crowley is usually wrong about most things, but this is an interesting read:

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co ... story.html

Who wants to order a truck of beer from Driftwood and start working on a legal fund?
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

even better?
VICE had an article where it stated that it has been proven that the LCBO monopoly is illegal.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-lcbo ... ly-illegal

someone needs to hire the lawyers to fight the long, expensive legal battle

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

atomeyes wrote:even better?
VICE had an article where it stated that it has been proven that the LCBO monopoly is illegal.

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-lcbo ... ly-illegal

someone needs to hire the lawyers to fight the long, expensive legal battle
Wish these guys had the money to do so....

http://www.bartowel.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=111343

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Here's the problem. Bringing that suit would require a comprehensive effort on the part of people who do not directly benefit from the status quo. This discounts immediately the large brewers who have all the money. It is vastly unlikely that enough small brewers could band together to finance the effort. You'd need a good lawyer to do it and they cost.

Also, since it's a constitutional case, the best that you can hope for is an amendment to the existing laws. If we take it as read that the importation of intoxicating liquors act would be replaced as a part of this challenge, then you have to remember that this doesn't merely effect Ontario. There are provinces with government stores and some with hybrid systems.

In fairness, the IILA was written during an economic depression when the population wasn't nearly as mobile as it is now. Of course it's not as relevant as we would hope for it to be. Besides which, what we're arguing here is a bureaucratic technicality that reflects two separate economic periods in the country's development. You really didn't want to stop the export of raw resources out of Canada in 1867 by having to account constantly for provincial tariffs.

The IILA is a post prohibition temperance minded document that does not reflect the initial period of swagger that the constitution does.

Should it be changed? Well, yes, ideally. Who will pay for it? Buggered if I know.
saintjohnswort.ca

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I'd imagine a combined Canadian convenience store association would have a hefty purse. Why haven't the grocery chains been outspoken about this? If the Westons wanted booze in their stores (and why wouldn't they) it would happen.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

Bytowner wrote:I'd imagine a combined Canadian convenience store association would have a hefty purse. Why haven't the grocery chains been outspoken about this? If the Westons wanted booze in their stores (and why wouldn't they) it would happen.
That is what I have often wondered. I mean between the loblaws companies (especially if they do merge with Shoppers Drug Mart), Costco and Walmart I would think you would have way more political power than any convenience store owners association would. I mean imagine how many voters there are that work for those three companies. And all three companies already sell alcohol in other locations too, so it is not like they wouldn't know how.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Kel Varnsen wrote:I mean between the loblaws companies (especially if they do merge with Shoppers Drug Mart), Costco and Walmart I would think you would have way more political power than any convenience store owners association would.
I'm not arguing, but it strikes me that I wonder how often these companies really need to deal with governments in terms of lobbying. These aren't heavily regulated business right now, are they? And if not, why would they have strong political connections?

Kel Varnsen
Bar Fly

Post by Kel Varnsen »

rejtable wrote:
Kel Varnsen wrote:I mean between the loblaws companies (especially if they do merge with Shoppers Drug Mart), Costco and Walmart I would think you would have way more political power than any convenience store owners association would.
I'm not arguing, but it strikes me that I wonder how often these companies really need to deal with governments in terms of lobbying. These aren't heavily regulated business right now, are they? And if not, why would they have strong political connections?
I think they are fairly heavily regulated. I mean food inspection alone probably has them dealing with the government pretty often. Not to mention most big grocery type stores like the one I mentioned have pharmacies. And on top of that throw in various tobacco and lottery sales.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Kel Varnsen wrote:I think they are fairly heavily regulated. I mean food inspection alone probably has them dealing with the government pretty often. Not to mention most big grocery type stores like the one I mentioned have pharmacies. And on top of that throw in various tobacco and lottery sales.
But in the big picture of government those things are pretty small potatoes, aren't they?

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Small potatoes in the grand view of government but for a store like Costco that has such a big butchery in house, plus so many private labelled merchandise even a 1% reduction on imports is a multi-million dollar savings.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Also worth remembering that the Weston stores actually have a beer brand of their own. If they wanted into the market they would have thrown in a long time ago.
saintjohnswort.ca