Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Garrison Imperial IPA

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cheechonaleash

Garrison Imperial IPA

Post by cheechonaleash »

I pulled this one out of the fridge tonight and noticed immediately a few floaties. I decided to check it out closer with more light and saw lots and lots of floaties and a few globs. Yikes. Is this normal? Bottling date says October 11.

zaireeka

Post by zaireeka »

It's just yeast/protein that has settled out. The beer is not filter so there is no way around floates other then drinking it when fresh.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

zaireeka wrote: no way around floates other then drinking it when fresh.
But...but this is Ontario...

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

zaireeka wrote:It's just yeast/protein that has settled out. The beer is not filter so there is no way around floates other then drinking it when fresh.
Uh, no.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

markaberrant wrote:
zaireeka wrote:It's just yeast/protein that has settled out. The beer is not filter so there is no way around floates other then drinking it when fresh.
Uh, no.
Maybe it would be more constructive to correct him rather than just stating that he is wrong?

cheechonaleash

Post by cheechonaleash »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
Uh, no.
Maybe it would be more constructive to correct him rather than just stating that he is wrong?
Yes, please!

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Garrison seems to use a very loose and poorly flocculating yeast strain. It is hit and miss with them as to whether you get lots of floaties or not.

The bottom line is, filtered or not, there is no reason to have that much junk in a beer. It speaks to poor brewhouse process, and based on how this beer has tasted since Greg Nash left, i am not surprised.