Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Spring 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GregClow
Beer Superstar

LCBO Spring 2014 Craft Beer Release

Post by GregClow »

The following beers have been confirmed to be part of the LCBO Spring 2014 Craft Beer Release.

LCBO# / Product Name / Size ml / Alc./Vol % / Suggested Retail / Supplier / Country
360321 / Oakham Citra / 500 / 4.6 / $4.95 / OAKHAM ALES / UK
356246 / Celt Silures / 500 / 4.6 / $3.50 / THE CELT EXPERIENCE LTD / UK
355057 / Le Trou du Diable Morsure IPA / 600 / 6.5 / $6.45 / MICRO-BRASSERIE LA TROU DU DIABLE / Canada - Quebec
362707 / Enlightenment: The Age of Raisin / 500 / 6.5 / $6.95 / RENAISSANCE BREWING COMPANY / New Zealand
356253 / Amager Kaaad IPA / 500 / 6 / $7.05 / AMAGER BRYGHUS / Denmark
362681 / Thornbridge Halcyon Imperial IPA / 500 / 7.4 / $5.25 / THORNBRIDGE BREWERY / UK
362699 / Lefebvre Hopus / 750 / 8.3 / $5.95 / BRASSERIE LEFEBVRE S.A. / Belgium
356212 / Abbaye des Rocs La Montagnarde Ambree / 330 / 9 / $3.00 / BRASSERIE DE L'ABBAYE DES ROCS / Belgium
907261 / Kasteel Donker / 330 / 11 / $3.25 / BROUWERIJ VAN HONSEBROUCK / Belgium (*)
356204 / St Feuillien Saison / 330 / 6.5 / $3.25 / BRASSERIE ST-FEUILLIEN S.A. / Belgium
362665 / Liefmans Cuvée Brut / 375 / 6 / $5.95 / DUVEL MOORTGAT NV / Belgium
962316 / Boon Framboise / 375 / 5 / $5.85 / BOON BROUWERIZ N.V. / Belgium

(*) Note: The ABV for Kasteel Donker was originally incorrectly reported as 6.5%, but the importer has confirmed that it will be the correct 11%.

Planned release date for the beers is week of March 2nd, although as always, some beers may arrive earlier or later.
Last edited by GregClow on Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

spinrsx wrote:isn't Kasteel 11% ABV?
As I noted above, this was a quick cut & paste from the LCBO-provide spreadsheet, which sometimes has mistakes or typos.

I'll do some double checking and clean it up soon.

UPDATE: Given that the overall theme of this release is supposed to be "hoppy & sour beers" (saw that mentioned somewhere, I think...), I wouldn't be surprised if the Kasteel beer is actually Kasteel Hoppy, which is 6.5%:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/kasteel-hoppy/205735/

I'll look into it.
Last edited by GregClow on Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

liamt07 wrote:Image
I have to agree Liam. Not a single beer excites me in this release. Hopefully they excite some BTers.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

GregClow wrote:UPDATE: Given that the overall theme of this release is supposed to be "hoppy & sour beers"
Aside from the Cuvee Brut, I suspect none of these are sour.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

liamt07 wrote:
GregClow wrote:UPDATE: Given that the overall theme of this release is supposed to be "hoppy & sour beers"
Aside from the Cuvee Brut, I suspect none of these are sour.
Even the cuvee brut is pretty sweet.

Is the boon sweet? I've never had it.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

The Cuvee Brut is a favourite of my wife's so I'll be on the hook for a few of those. The rest is pretty meh overall - Guess I feel a bit spoiled after the founders feature and some of the porters we got in the fall.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Could be some sleepers in here, but yeah, this is definitely a release I will be waiting for the reviews to come in before I purchase.
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Have we had the St. Feullian Saison before? It seems...familiar?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

GreatCop

Post by GreatCop »

JeffPorter wrote:Have we had the St. Feullian Saison before? It seems...familiar?
I dunno, but that's the one I'm probably most excited about

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I've been waiting a long time for Boon to make another appearance in Ontario - I remember trying it years ago (10+), when Vintages was still bringing in beers. Very happy to see that back.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

Cass wrote:I've been waiting a long time for Boon to make another appearance in Ontario - I remember trying it years ago (10+), when Vintages was still bringing in beers. Very happy to see that back.
Definitely a good sign we are seeing better quality lambics, make a regular appearance at the LCBO.
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

I'm not trying to pick a fight with anyone and I am honestly interested in the response....why is this release boring/poor? It seems like there is a decent mix of styles, many with fairly good ratings. Not defending the LCBO either. I'm just interested in what people want in their the seasonal releases.

I wonder what happened to the St. Louis Fond Tradition? It's a good utility gueuze that I was looking forward to stocking up on.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Personally speaking - seems kind of a letdown after Rochefort 10, a Founders feature, the Xporter, Rugporter and Black Butte. It's strictly personal tastes, but I haven't had anything from Celt that would make me want to buy more than one. Same with Renaissance.

Having said that, Hopefully there will be some surprises with the rest of the list. Will be interesting to see how the hops hold up on some of these ale's coming from overseas. Worst case scenario I'll have quite a few Cuvee Brut in the cellar.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo