Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beau's Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Kekumba wrote:Absolutely worth half of what they're charging.
lol
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

What's so funny?

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Kekumba wrote:I had Siduri tonight and would say it's above average. Nice spicy fruits, light pepper. Really, exactly as advertised. If someone told me this was the wheat wine, though, I would have believed it. But that's just me. Absolutely worth half of what they're charging.
Also having the Siduri, also, and kind of agree. That said, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 10% BA one-off in a 600ml to be under $5 in this day, regardless of who makes it or even regardless of the quality.

It's actually a nice saison. Seems to be on style, though a little boozy. The pepper works well with it. Barrel is hard to detect, except maybe the sweetness in the middle - wish the pepper would balance that out.

I really didn't like the Patio Saison a couple of years ago - this is an improvement.

(FYI - my friend and I split a fresh beaver river today, and it seems different than I remember. More floral U.S.-style hoppiness in the nose. Much better than last year, but probably partly because it's fresh.)
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Kekumba

Post by Kekumba »

That was in response to TJ saying it's not worth half the price. No reason otherwise for me to mention it.

I think Beaver River changed slightly this year, though I could be wrong.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

tried the ginger beer and wheat wine.
ginger beer is meh.
wheat wine was liked by some people. my compliment to it would be that the alcohol is insanely hidden.
but so is the flavour (not much) and body (not much)

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Kekumba wrote:
I think Beaver River changed slightly this year, though I could be wrong.
I think so, too...though I think it's going to be a tough sell with fresh Rhyme and Reason out there.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

JeffPorter wrote:That said, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a 10% BA one-off in a 600ml to be under $5 in this day, regardless of who makes it or even regardless of the quality.
Pretty much this. While on the one hand, I care more about what a beer tastes like than the whatever special processes the brewery used to make it, it is not reasonable to expect those beers to cost the same as "regular" products.

Whether or not the beers are "worth" $10 a bottle or not is subjective, but considering there are six pages of discussion and only like one person that has actually tried the beer, I'm not sure any of us are in a position to comment yet.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

TJ wrote:I had the Siduri tonight. I would call it mediocre. Not terrible. Just not worth the money. Not even at half what they're charging.

The Sargon tastes like a flat shandy mixed with toilet water. I love ginger. I love beer. But this sucks.

I'm kind of done with beaus.
They should hire a taster who is objective. And who doesn't wear his collars popped. But mostly objective.
In Beerum Veritas

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

I drank the Suduri this afternoon. It's an alright saison; the pepper helps to balance out the sweetness from the icewine barrels. Probably not worth the price on a comparative basis, but I don't feel robbed.

The presentation was really nice and didn't need the extra wrapping paper which is pretty superfluous to me.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

had the old ale last night - drinking the ginger beer now, having buyers remorse. st bernardus 12 (all the way from belgium) for 1$ less.. with 150ml bonus - sigh

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Automatic wrote:I drank the Suduri this afternoon. It's an alright saison; the pepper helps to balance out the sweetness from the icewine barrels. Probably not worth the price on a comparative basis, but I don't feel robbed.

The presentation was really nice and didn't need the extra wrapping paper which is pretty superfluous to me.
Also drinking a Siduri now, and you've taken the word out of my mouth.

On the question of price, I actually think that it's fine considering the ABV (more ingredients needed), the barrels (more $$$ and storage) and the size. The price per ounce is pretty decent - twice that of most standard beers, but also at twice the strength.

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

Bobsy wrote: On the question of price, I actually think that it's fine considering the ABV (more ingredients needed), the barrels (more $$$ and storage) and the size. The price per ounce is pretty decent - twice that of most standard beers, but also at twice the strength.
the ingredient cost relative to ABV doesn't have a linear correlation to cost. there's a correlation, yes, but i think that the price for ABV is more of a sales/perception tactic and not linearly based on ingredient cost. after all, the grain costs are pretty much negligible for all beer.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

After the Beau's feature it looks like next up is Mikkeller

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

PeenSteen wrote:After the Beau's feature it looks like next up is Mikkeller
Christ, that'll be pricey.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »