Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beau's Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

spinrsx wrote:not as pricey as beau's I bet ;)
liamt07 wrote:
PeenSteen wrote:After the Beau's feature it looks like next up is Mikkeller
Christ, that'll be pricey.
I'll take you up on that bet.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

depends on which beers I guess..

MIKKELLER CANADIAN DREAM
LCBO 320697 | 330 mL bottle
Price $ 2.55

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

spinrsx wrote:depends on which beers I guess..

MIKKELLER CANADIAN DREAM
Price $ 2.55
That equates to a $15.81 six-pack of standard 341ml bottles. Or, a $3.66 473ml can.

Funny how certain formats have perceived price ceilings while other formats lend themselves to charging whatever the heck you want.

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

mistermurphy wrote:

MIKKELLER CANADIAN DREAM
Price $ 2.55
That equates to a $15.81 six-pack of standard 341ml bottles. Or, a $3.66 473ml can.

Funny how certain formats have perceived price ceilings while other formats lend themselves to charging whatever the heck you want.
So I win the bet, right? :)

mistermurphy

Post by mistermurphy »

liamt07 wrote:
mistermurphy wrote:

MIKKELLER CANADIAN DREAM
Price $ 2.55

Well it's also funny how people quibble over dimes. i.e that beer shouldn't be $2.95, should be $2.75 (or $2.65, or whatever).

Going to McDonalds these days costs $8+, (don't get me started on Subway) but people are worried about a $.25 on a beer.

Not directed at you Liamt07...

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

It's interesting given conversation elsewhere on the forum that Beau's have taken a risk in brewing different styles (and barrel-aged to boot), but aren't getting any kudos. The downside of risk?

How are people ranking the beers in this feature? It sounded like Siduri is perhaps the best bet, but I'm intrigued by how people would place these in order of preference.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

mistermurphy wrote:Going to McDonalds these days costs $8+, (don't get me started on Subway) but people are worried about a $.25 on a beer.
:lol: Going where? Mickey D's?? Talk to me about Bahn Mi Boys, not the food or value equivalent of Bud Light.

I guess like anything murph, it adds up. I admit to multi-sourcing all groceries and household, believing people that don't are fair game for substantial overcharging.
In Beerum Veritas

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

Bobsy wrote:It's interesting given conversation elsewhere on the forum that Beau's have taken a risk in brewing different styles (and barrel-aged to boot), but aren't getting any kudos. The downside of risk?

How are people ranking the beers in this feature? It sounded like Siduri is perhaps the best bet, but I'm intrigued by how people would place these in order of preference.
That's a very good question. I think it comes down to whether Beau's is hitting for average. Some of their seasonals are really nice. I quite like the Night Marzen, for instance. The one-offs are always going to be be risky and to be honest with you, I found two of those Febrewary beers to be pretty awful. The coffee pils and the marshmallow thing. The thing about Beau's is that they're going to play with ideas and when you do that not everything is going to work out.

I think one of the downsides of having all these one offs is that people get burnt out on novelty. There's only so much excitement you can muster.
saintjohnswort.ca

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

saints_gambit wrote:I think one of the downsides of having all these one offs is that people get burnt out on novelty.
That's my sentiment exactly. I both love but more often loath Beau's for the constant experimentation. As Bobsy pointed out I think it's a wonderful thing that they try new things and intend to push the envelope, but so many of these offerings don't warrant anything near what they cost (the overwhelming consensus here).

What really gets me, however, is that so many of these beers are not that innovative or different at all. I've found many (i.e., Oktobock, 2 Weeks Notice) to be pleasant beers but - regardless of what they were conceived to be and contrary to how they're marketed - are really just rather plain, everyday beers. Nothing wrong with workaday beers - just don't tell me it's special because it's "a Maibock brewed for the Fall" (how is this not essentially a Marzen?) or distinct because it's a porter that uses lager yeast (there's an entire style based on that).

When it comes down to it I would have much more enjoyed those beers had the brewery just not tried to convince me they were unique.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

saints_gambit wrote:The coffee pils...
Now that was a bad beer.
Craft beer hipster before it was cool

codfishh

Post by codfishh »

liamt07 wrote:
spinrsx wrote:not as pricey as beau's I bet ;)
liamt07 wrote: Christ, that'll be pricey.
I'll take you up on that bet.

My $17.00 330ml bottle of It's Alive Barrel Aged with Lychee fruit will take you up on that bet too! :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

saints_gambit wrote:Beau's one-offs are always going to be be risky and to be honest with you, I found two of those Febrewary beers to be pretty awful. The coffee pils and the marshmallow thing. The thing about Beau's is that they're going to play with ideas and when you do that not everything is going to work out.
The #34 Chocolate Marshmallow Hemp Stout was really not bad with the smoked meat & hot sauce at Hogtown Smoke. Bogwater too was fine for quenching the hickory-smoked flames with some countering sweetness.

I wonder who over at Beau's is doing the 'playing with ideas' you spoke of... is it the brewer at the helm or the recipes themselves that are hit and miss?
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

codfishh wrote:My $17.00 330ml bottle of It's Alive Barrel Aged with Lychee fruit will take you up on that bet too! :)
re: Mikkeller - 1) will any of the beers come ever back if they are great and sell well and 2) will the release be mainly for Mikkel's well-intentioned bizarro experiments and so 3) will there be a point to it all promotionally.

I really do like Mikkel's Imperial Stouts, he has some cool ideas and I'd love to support what I can.
In Beerum Veritas

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Belgian wrote:The #34 Chocolate Marshmallow Hemp Stout was really not bad with the smoked meat & hot sauce at Hogtown Smoke. Bogwater too was fine for quenching the hickory-smoked flames with some countering sweetness.
It tasted like any other stout to me and a friend of mine. The gimmick was pretty weak.
lister

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

mistermurphy wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
mistermurphy wrote: That equates to a $15.81 six-pack of standard 341ml bottles. Or, a $3.66 473ml can.

Well it's also funny how people quibble over dimes. i.e that beer shouldn't be $2.95, should be $2.75 (or $2.65, or whatever).

Going to McDonalds these days costs $8+, (don't get me started on Subway) but people are worried about a $.25 on a beer.

Not directed at you Liamt07...
trust me...Liam quibbles about nickels, not quarters. :)

guess it depends on the market. i don't care about small differences in price unless i'm buying cooking beer (i.e. a can for beer butt chicken). but i did quibble when Unibrou 17 was originally released at $2/bottle more than St Berny 12. if the prices were reversed, i'd maybe have bought U17 instead of StB12. then again, i'm the kind of guy who refuses to shop at No Frills and save some $ because the experience of shopping there crushes my soul.

but a Mikkeller feature: it has potential to blow up in the 'BO's face. Mikkeler's the Prince Fielder of breweries. either strikes out or crushes it out of the ballpark. and you tend to pay $$ for the beer. and you ain't paying for the design/labels.