Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Beau's Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

Mikkeller feature will be the following, one of these may be part of a seasonal release but who knows.

Mikkeller Black
Mikkeller Monks Brew
Mikkeller Green Gold
Mikkeller Cream Ale
Mikkeller Texas Ranger
Mikkeller Kriek

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

a %17 beer at the lcbo?!
PeenSteen wrote:Mikkeller feature will be the following, one of these may be part of a seasonal release but who knows.

Mikkeller Black

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote:a %17 beer at the lcbo?!
PeenSteen wrote:Mikkeller feature will be the following, one of these may be part of a seasonal release but who knows.

Mikkeller Black
To be fair, they've brought Utopias in multiple years in a row (albeit not as part of a widely distributed brewery feature). I'm more surprised that a beer with this label has been approved by the Controllers.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

PeenSteen wrote:Mikkeller Kriek
Think it is the Spontankriek, or maybe the Mikkeller K:rlek APA?

Overall encouraging choices. Besides a Cream ale and Kriek, a massive Imperial Stout, an IPA, a trappist-style Belgian Abt and a, umm... Chipotle Porter I may try as well.

I can vouch for the Monk's Elixir, thanks to Jeff "Tupalev". Yummy!
In Beerum Veritas

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

spinrsx wrote:a %17 beer at the lcbo?!
Sam Adams Triple Bock, with the same abv, showed up at the LCBO 20 years ago, and a few other beers have come close, so we're not exactly treading new ground here.
Here's to the slow path.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

Also, we could probably split the Mikkeller discussion into its own thread now before things get too cluttered.
Here's to the slow path.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Bobsy wrote:It's interesting given conversation elsewhere on the forum that Beau's have taken a risk in brewing different styles (and barrel-aged to boot), but aren't getting any kudos. The downside of risk?

How are people ranking the beers in this feature? It sounded like Siduri is perhaps the best bet, but I'm intrigued by how people would place these in order of preference.
I've tried the Ashnan wheat wine, and I think its pretty well done. A vastly different take on a barley wine (which of course this isn't but this is the reference point, since wheat wines are so few) and I'm liking the results here. Its pretty yummy and has a jammy quality you can chew on for a while that reminds me of some of the Fuller's Vintage Ales. But it's also quite a bit lighter and smoother in the body and not as viscous or syrupy (think Belgian triples rather than quads, barley wines or old ales) as some barley wines and other heavier styles tend to be. So it feels substantial in taste but also pretty medium in the body at the same time. Alcohol is also nicely hidden. I think this is the first Beau's beer I really liked. Want to try the others in this featured series, as they sound pretty interesting.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

do all features work the same way as the founders one where they are only available in some stores? it seems odd that the lcbo would have big feature with an ontario brewer and not have it at least somewhat widely available.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

ckoop wrote:do all features work the same way as the founders one where they are only available in some stores? it seems odd that the lcbo would have big feature with an ontario brewer and not have it at least somewhat widely available.
Yes they do.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

ckoop wrote:do all features work the same way as the founders one where they are only available in some stores? it seems odd that the lcbo would have big feature with an ontario brewer and not have it at least somewhat widely available.
They're probably uncertain about the sales of something like this. It's a bit of a niche market and in some stores it simply would not move.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

haha, that's what i thought. oh well, just another reason why i do 95% of my beer shopping across the border instead of hopping from lcbo to lcbo to fill an order that i could fill in one stop at consumers. such is the benefit of living in the falls.

G.M. Gillman
Seasoned Drinker

Post by G.M. Gillman »

Trying the Beau Siduri now. Nicely done, I'd concur with the comments above e.g. Jeff's except I find the pepper taste very forward, too much. Maybe that's because I'm drinking it room temperature. :) Nice effort though, a lot of the Beau seasonals don't work but some do and this is one.

I cut it 4:1 with (chilled) Denison's Weissbier just to lower the ABV and reduce the pepper taste. Good result but I can still taste strong pepper.

Gary
Gary Gillman

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

I ad the ginger beer last night. Decent enough, but no barrel.

Of the 3 I have had:

Old Ale - no barrel notes whatsoever (base beer was decent though).

Ginger Beer - no barrel notes whatsoever (base beer also decent).

Imperial Saison - cloyingly sweet.

So far it's a big 0 for 3 for me. Hopefully the wheat wine is better.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

LOOOOOOOOOL.