Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

liamt07 wrote:Everyone dancing around about the LCBO bringing in some Jolly Pumpkin should keep this in perspective: You're still paying $10 for a 750ml bottle of witbier.
No problem paying $10 for any 750 JP beer, regardless of style.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

The cheapest I've paid for Jolly Pumpkin is maybe $7.99 at the brewery. Some of the more sour beers are usually $12-$13. $10 is totally on par.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

liamt07 wrote:Everyone dancing around about the LCBO bringing in some Jolly Pumpkin should keep this in perspective: You're still paying $10 for a 750ml bottle of witbier.
I think that sort of statement is a bit disingenuous, to be honest. Yes, it's witbier base but its also oak aged and partially soured. The same could be said of something like St. Bretta from Crooked Stave and if that showed up at the LCBO we'd all be losing our minds.

The way I see it is that craft beer drinkers in Ontario will be receiving a beer of much higher quality and caliber than any other witbier offering already on the market and getting it at a lower price than that at which it is sold in its home country. All subjective opinions on whether or not it's worth it aside, I see nothing wrong with this situation.

Full disclosure: I won't be buying any. I've had it before and while it's good I'd rather spend my money at Bellwoods.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

ChrisK wrote:Full disclosure: I won't be buying any. I've had it before and while it's good I'd rather spend my money at Bellwoods.
I'm in the same boat. I'll probably get two of them or something just because I can, but the time I had it it wasn't good enough to seek out a case of it at the price.

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Hmmm... there isn't 1 Ontario brew available at the LCBO that couldn't make the summer drinking list?

http://www.torontolife.com/daily-dish/d ... beer-2014/

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

jaymack wrote:Hmmm... there isn't 1 Ontario brew available at the LCBO that couldn't make the summer drinking list?

T-dot life, yo.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

jaymack wrote:Hmmm... there isn't 1 Ontario brew available at the LCBO that couldn't make the summer drinking list?

Well there aren't any Ontario beers in the summer release...looks like they just went through the LCBO's press release to write the article.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Amnesiac!?

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

admviolin wrote:

Well there aren't any Ontario beers in the summer release...looks like they just went through the LCBO's press release to write the article.
Not quite, but yes, it was limited to selections from the summer and BC releases. If you go back through my previous posts, you'll see that I include local releases as often as possible...

jaymack

Post by jaymack »

Gavin wrote:
Not quite, but yes, it was limited to selections from the summer and BC releases. If you go back through my previous posts, you'll see that I include local releases as often as possible...
Ah, I see those now. Cheers

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

midlife crisis wrote:Amnesiac!?
Never mind. Somehow failed to see the BC Feature thread up to now.

Eli

Post by Eli »

boney wrote:
No problem paying $10 for any 750 JP beer, regardless of style.
I paid 9 bucks for it in Detroit a couple of years ago so the price isn't really that off on this one.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Gavin wrote:
admviolin wrote:

Sorry Gavin, that was the point I was trying to make...I didn't mean to sound like you didn't do any research or writing for the article.

Gavin

Post by Gavin »

admviolin wrote:
Gavin wrote:
admviolin wrote: Well there aren't any Ontario beers in the summer release...looks like they just went through the LCBO's press release to write the article.
Sorry Gavin, that was the point I was trying to make...I didn't mean to sound like you didn't do any research or writing for the article.
No worries. Just clarifying that it's not an advertorial piece :wink:

I have to find a balance between what I want to say and what the average Toronto Life reader wants to know. And all in about 40 words. Because T-dot life, yo.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sorry wrong thread. Carry on!
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas