Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Belgian wrote:
groulxsome wrote:And... the party's over: Ayinger Brau-Weisse (273656) price has changed from 2.75 to 3.95
groulxsome wrote:And... the party's over: Ayinger Brau-Weisse (273656) price has changed from 2.75 to 3.95
You can say that again. Honestly both Denison's and Weihenstephan are pretty good value by comparison. A beer style to be enjoyed in quantity. :)
Perhaps a stupid question - is Sidelaunch Wheat the exact same recipe as Denison's? Seemed pretty spot on tonight, but it's hard to tell without a side-by-side.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

yep, same
Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:
You can say that again. Honestly both Denison's and Weihenstephan are pretty good value by comparison. A beer style to be enjoyed in quantity. :)
Perhaps a stupid question - is Sidelaunch Wheat the exact same recipe as Denison's? Seemed pretty spot on tonight, but it's hard to tell without a side-by-side.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

And... the party's over: Ayinger Brau-Weisse (273656) price has changed from 2.75 to 3.95
I wasn't aware the price changed to 3.95, so I told the worker that the price listed on the shelf was 2.75 today, and he corrected it to 2.75, assuming an error on the register. Serendipitous.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Bobsy wrote:
Belgian wrote:
From what I've heard it's the exact same, except the water is different. No idea how that's changed the flavour profile as I've yet to have the Side Launch version.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Cadbury102 wrote:
And... the party's over: Ayinger Brau-Weisse (273656) price has changed from 2.75 to 3.95
I wasn't aware the price changed to 3.95, so I told the worker that the price listed on the shelf was 2.75 today, and he corrected it to 2.75, assuming an error on the register. Serendipitous.
that's federal law. If there is two prices posted, they must charge you the lower one or face a significant fine.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:now listed:

PYRAMID OUTBURST IMPERIAL IPA
USA | The Brick Brewing Co.
LCBO 365692 | 650 mL | $ 4.95

wonder if these bottles are dated

Showing store inventory now.

BB date please?

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Ukie wrote:

BB date please?
What date would you consider your "cut off" date to try this beer?

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

El Pinguino wrote:
Ukie wrote:

BB date please?
I give no IPA/IIPA more than 12 weeks from bottling.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

liamt07 wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
Ukie wrote:

BB date please?
DIPA 10-13 weeks
IPA or IPL 11-15 weeks

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

northyorksammy wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
El Pinguino wrote: What date would you consider your "cut off" date to try this beer?
DIPA 10-13 weeks
IPA or IPL 11-15 weeks

I'm thinking that this product came in sometime in April so has to be at least 8-10 weeks past bottling date. Yes or no?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

LCBO seems incapable of delivering fresh IPAs, even the Red Racer batch that came in a few months ago was already more than 4 months old at arrival. Some people liked it but I got oxidized hops on the palate, so it's individual. Personally no more than 8-12 weeks on hoppy beers, others may be more tolerant than I am.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

northyorksammy wrote:
liamt07 wrote:
El Pinguino wrote: What date would you consider your "cut off" date to try this beer?
DIPA 10-13 weeks
IPA or IPL 11-15 weeks
Why would you give a DIPA less time than an IPA?

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

squeaky wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:
liamt07 wrote: I give no IPA/IIPA more than 12 weeks from bottling.
DIPA 10-13 weeks
IPA or IPL 11-15 weeks
Why would you give a DIPA less time than an IPA?
I would say because DIPA has higher bitterness which means higher concentration of iso-alpha acids to oxidize, means the taste threshold would be reached quicker.

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

Quite a few of the BC feature at Queens Quay as well as Extra White Vedett, I don't remember it being announced though.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Anyone bought the Pyramid yet?