Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Summer 2014 Craft Beer Release

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

I really liked it. Still drinking well. The Amnesiac not so much.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

The Philips Hoperation Tripel Cross is in very nice shape (as you might expect from a Belgian IPA) with lots of hoppiness appreciable. Best before of Nov 12/14 on the neck.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

liamt07 wrote:Everyone dancing around about the LCBO bringing in some Jolly Pumpkin should keep this in perspective: You're still paying $10 for a 750ml bottle of witbier.
Who do they think they are - Charlevoix??
^
Actually I'm a sucker for Dominus Vobiscum Blanche. Quality is impressive even at the price by volume.
In Beerum Veritas

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Had the Pyramid and enjoyed it. Haven't grabbed the Amnesiac yet....had it before and liked it, but that was a few years back before our hoopy beer options improved here.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Pyramid says "Enjoy by 08/08/2014"

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

Ukie wrote:Pyramid says "Enjoy by 08/08/2014"
Eek even at a generous 6 month expiry that beer is already 4 months old. Might skip this one.

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

ercousin wrote:
Eek even at a generous 6 month expiry that beer is already 4 months old. Might skip this one.
I have some friends that tried it, recapped it, and returned it because it didn't taste up to snuff. I imagine returning a bottle you've had some of (a la corked wine) gets managers attention about older beer. (Though I've never tried returning something myself and have pretty low standards for what I'll drink once I've opened it... don't think I've ever returned or "beer advocated," sorry "drain poured," anything ever actually...)

nickw

Post by nickw »

Jolly Pumpkin on the shelf at King and Spadina today. Looked like it had just been put out when I got there at 3:30ish -- I took the first of 24 bottles on the shelf.

The Thornbridge, Phillips Amnesiac, and Tree Pineapple Hefe were also on the shelf -- all ones I hadn't yet seen before.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

nickw wrote:Jolly Pumpkin on the shelf at King and Spadina today. Looked like it had just been put out when I got there at 3:30ish -- I took the first of 24 bottles on the shelf.

The Thornbridge, Phillips Amnesiac, and Tree Pineapple Hefe were also on the shelf -- all ones I hadn't yet seen before.
Damn the Jolly Pumpkin isn't even on the old website...

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro ... anguage=EN

Guess the old phone method will have to work.

nickelass
Bar Fly

Post by nickelass »

ercousin wrote:
nickw wrote:Jolly Pumpkin on the shelf at King and Spadina today. Looked like it had just been put out when I got there at 3:30ish -- I took the first of 24 bottles on the shelf.

Damn the Jolly Pumpkin isn't even on the old website...

http://foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/jsp/Pro ... anguage=EN

Guess the old phone method will have to work.
Any luck finding where else this is in stock?
"You wanna talk some jive? I'll talk some jive. I'll talk some jive like you've never heard!"

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

drinking the pyramid now. I've had this before relatively fresh; this doesn't taste that much different. Keep in mind that this is not heady topper we're talking about - fresh or old this is just an average DIPA. Worth the $5 price tag to try it once if you haven't had it before.

groulxsome wrote:
ercousin wrote:
I have some friends that tried it, recapped it, and returned it because it didn't taste up to snuff. I imagine returning a bottle you've had some of (a la corked wine) gets managers attention about older beer. (Though I've never tried returning something myself and have pretty low standards for what I'll drink once I've opened it... don't think I've ever returned or "beer advocated," sorry "drain poured," anything ever actually...)

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

also, noticed the pyramid says 'imported by Brick Brewing Company'. Is this a new thing? Ontario brewers importing american beers? Is Pyramid importing Brick Beers to the states?

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

spinrsx wrote:also, noticed the pyramid says 'imported by Brick Brewing Company'. Is this a new thing? Ontario brewers importing american beers?
It's not common, but it's happened a few times in the past.

For example, Sam Adams was represented by Sleeman for a while, and is now partnered with Moosehead. And Brick was importing & representing Palm when it was first launched in Ontario a few years ago, although it has since moved to a different agent.

In the case of Pyramid - Brick signed a distribution deal back in 2011 with North American Breweries, the parent company of Pyramid and several other US breweries. The first beer they brought in was Magic Hat #9, which I think is still available.
spinrsx wrote:Is Pyramid importing Brick Beers to the states?
I don't believe so.

saints_gambit
Bar Fly

Post by saints_gambit »

The pyramid was in very bad shape at the media tasting as well. Over sweet, no balance. May not be an age issue so much as an incredibly poor beer. My tasting notes were a single expletive.
saintjohnswort.ca

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Bobsy wrote: Perhaps a stupid question - is Sidelaunch Wheat the exact same recipe as Denison's? Seemed pretty spot on tonight, but it's hard to tell without a side-by-side.
From what I've heard it's the exact same, except the water is different. No idea how that's changed the flavour profile as I've yet to have the Side Launch version.
I thought one was replacing the other. I saw both on the shelf at the LCBO in Collingwood last Friday.