Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO.com

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:
SirBeatington wrote:Hey all, first time caller, long time listener.
Jumped on LCBO.com this morning, and the “Check All Stores” is back. Not only that, but now you can organize by Quantity or by City!
Either someone at the ‘BO grew a brain, or a lot of people complained.
I would bet on the latter.
aye https://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detai ... 65/kw/2019

2019 Summer Beer List isn't ready yet. I reached out yesterday.
When I complained in February about the loss of the 'search all stores' feature, I was told "We do apologize, there are no plans at this time for the "Check All Stores" option to be reinstated. Your feedback in regards to the usefulness of the feature again has been forwarded to the appropriate department for their review."
The problem with Communism.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

The "search all stores" option is gone tonight. What a load a crap.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:The "search all stores" option is gone tonight. What a load a crap.
It does seem to work. Even when the site says 'Buy in-store (unavailable)' click it anyway, and then clicking either of ' check nearby stores'/'check all stores' seems to work. :wink:
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Belgian wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:The "search all stores" option is gone tonight. What a load a crap.
It does seem to work. Even when the site says 'Buy in-store (unavailable)' click it anyway, and then clicking either of ' check nearby stores'/'check all stores' seems to work. :wink:
Yah, I got confused because the "nearby stores" and "all stores" options used to appear one under the other; now they are appearing side by side.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

anthony9 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:00 pm LCBO app/website leaves much to be desired.
This quote comes from a different thread. There is always the possibility glitches with the website. I find odd things now and again, like making a purchase of something that doesn't show inventory in the store I'm at, or perhaps doesn't show at all, but on the whole, I have found LCBO inventory listings to be very good. And I find it much better than the Beer Store website, at least in the way I use it.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:01 am
anthony9 wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:00 pm LCBO app/website leaves much to be desired.
This quote comes from a different thread. There is always the possibility glitches with the website. I find odd things now and again, like making a purchase of something that doesn't show inventory in the store I'm at, or perhaps doesn't show at all, but on the whole, I have found LCBO inventory listings to be very good. And I find it much better than the Beer Store website, at least in the way I use it.
I'm going to compare the LCBO site and app with its closest entity; the SAQ. Both the SAQ's app and website are better. Someone asked about Boon Kriek arriving. It's not on the site, but has been in stores for weeks. Check out the play/app store reviews of the two apps.

The one thing that stands out is finding products in the app. This is my biggest complaint about the LCBO app. I can't search the total inventory, just by physical proximity. I therefore use the mobile website rather than the app.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

anthony9 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:52 am The one thing that stands out is finding products in the app. This is my biggest complaint about the LCBO app. I can't search the total inventory, just by physical proximity. I therefore use the mobile website rather than the app.
Enter product name in search bar. Click on desired product. Click on "check availability at all stores". Is this not searching the total inventory, or am I missing something?

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

midlife crisis wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 11:01 am
anthony9 wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 10:52 am The one thing that stands out is finding products in the app. This is my biggest complaint about the LCBO app. I can't search the total inventory, just by physical proximity. I therefore use the mobile website rather than the app.
Enter product name in search bar. Click on desired product. Click on "check availability at all stores". Is this not searching the total inventory, or am I missing something?
Sorry, what I meant to say is the app has "check nearby availability" search only while the website has nearby and all stores.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Ah ok. That's no good! I didn't realize that (don't use the app).

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Just stopped by to plug LCBO Watch, still goin' strong: https://lcbo.watch/new-releases

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

midlife crisis wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 1:06 pm Ah ok. That's no good! I didn't realize that (don't use the app).
Same here, I don't use the app, only the website, and it's the "Check Availability in All Stores" that I love and use all the time. And it's why I don't like the Beer Store website because they don't have a feature like this.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

shintriad wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:07 pm Just stopped by to plug LCBO Watch, still goin' strong: https://lcbo.watch/new-releases
I still use this too and find it very helpful, although the updates don't always seem as timely as they once were.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Kriek Boon is on the LCBO site. It can be found by searching "kriek", but not "Boon".

Another nitpick I have is Lambiek Fabriek has two offerings on the site, but are listed in different formats. "Jart-Elle Oude Kriek" versus "Lambiek Fabriek - Brett-Elle".

A relatively minor thing, but something that would not happen on the better-designed, more organized SAQ.com.

cboden

Post by cboden »

S. St. Jeb wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:05 pm
shintriad wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:07 pm Just stopped by to plug LCBO Watch, still goin' strong: https://lcbo.watch/new-releases
I still use this too and find it very helpful, although the updates don't always seem as timely as they once were.
A year or two ago the LCBO did a major behind the scenes rework of their website catalog. Part of this infrastructure change had some work to deter data mining. I can't speak for LCBO Watch, but when I fixed my scraper, one of the things I recall doing was to implement artificial delays, making the process of ingesting their catalog take 4-5 hours.