Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Crossroads (Weston & 401) clearance section

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I've been going to the Weston/401 clearance for over 5 years, much less so recently since I moved to the other end of the city. This clearance section is unique (just like this location's hours, which no other LCBO in Ontario has) in that private orders, which are not paid for end up here, hence the unusual offerings. But since private beer orderings at the LCBO are infrequent and unpaid private beer orders are even more rare, you will not find gems here that frequently. You may easily go one full year without finding anything of note that is unique to this location. But when you do it's worth it, since most times it's the only location in the entire LCBO with that product. I find that often times, these great beers are present in a bunch, which makes me think they are part of the same large but unpaid order.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

There's about 24 bottles of Oud Beersel Oude Geuze in the clearance section. The same ones that were sold online by the LCBO. $8.95 per bottle

Steve

Post by Steve »

Still multiple cases of Alvinne Sigma in the clearance section.
https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/alvinne-sigma/247376/

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

the KBS sales have slowed down.. everyone got their fill. Maybe it'll hit clearance soon! ;)

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:the KBS sales have slowed down.. everyone got their fill. Maybe it'll hit clearance soon! ;)

There is no stock left, all the numbers you see online are holds waiting to be picked up.

Over supply in Hamilton, must have been at least 96 bottles shipped.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

About a case of Vapeur Cochonnette, an interesting Belgian ale brewed with roasted chicory. 330 ml for $2.90. BB 04/2018.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Note: they have shrunk the Clearance section a bit and the clearance beers are dispersed throughout the beer section.

St. Louis Gueuze Fond Tradition - $4.55, 375ml, 12 cases on floor
Oxbow Cross Fade - $17.80, 500ml, ~24 bottles on shelf
Bacchus Frambozenbier - $4.70, 375ml, ~12 bottles on shelf
Bacchus Vlaams Oud Bruin - $4.15, 375 ml ~12 bottles on shelf

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yesterday got a Oxbow Crossfade and a Sigma Alvinne.

If I'm not mistaken the Bacchus Frambozen is out.

Funny experience shopping at this store, it feels fleetingly American at moments but mostly diluted with a lot of Canadian meh.
Luckily our Ontario Brewers are getting more noteworthy and numerous to help make up for the still–evident stodginess over imports. Keep it up guys!
In Beerum Veritas

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

whoa, crossfade and sigma for real? i'm gonna need to head down.

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Im going to forewarn, the sigma might be a little off. I bought 9 and 4 of them haven't tasted right so far, and I've had two different people tell me the same.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DeMarco wrote:Im going to forewarn, the sigma might be a little off. I bought 9 and 4 of them haven't tasted right so far, and I've had two different people tell me the same.
Goodness, how do you make a sour Ale go off? Is it a flawed Brewing?

Pop, bottle doesn't gush. Sniff, what a nice aroma, rich balsamic and apple,
The rich tart acetic and apple carry into the powerful flavour with some caramel, hints of stewed cherries, chocolate and dried sultanas and old wood. Good dry cider-like palate. Very wine-like layered fruity and acidic qualities, the burgundy of Belgium I guess they say. I bet carbonnade flamande made with this would fairly rock. Fantastic.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

DeMarco wrote:Im going to forewarn, the sigma might be a little off. I bought 9 and 4 of them haven't tasted right so far, and I've had two different people tell me the same.

Pop, bottle doesn't gush. Sniff, what a nice aroma, rich balsamic and apple, some wood and dry chocolate.
The rich tart acetic and apple carry into the powerful flavour with some caramel, hints of stewed cherries, chocolate and dried sultanas and old wood. Good dry cider-like palate. Very wine-like layered fruity and acidic qualities, the burgundy of Belgium I guess they say. I bet carbonnade flamande made with this would fairly rock. Fantastic.
In Beerum Veritas

DeMarco

Post by DeMarco »

Belgian wrote:

Pop, bottle doesn't gush. Sniff, what a nice aroma, rich balsamic and apple, some wood and dry chocolate.
hmm, the few i've had have had a slow gush which would mean contamination correct? Sour root beer is a familiar infection problem as well. Keep in mind I've had this beverage about 10 times before this sweet find. Simply forewarning those who picked this up, what is your expiration date? Perhaps it is different from mine (Purchased at christmas time from this location)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Slow gush is just slight overcarbonation, not contamination. Lots (most?) Brett beers will do that if you let them sit long enough, as the Brett slowly eats more and more of the complex sugars.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

I've enjoyed about 6 each of the Sigma and Phi (while it lasted), slow gushers. I'm pretty sure they are all from the same batch, BB Jan 2019, originally ordered by the late Peter of Esprit.