Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Mikkeller Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

tyler90 wrote:
Roland + Russell wrote:The beers are currently undergoing mandatory LCBO lab testing, after that is complete we hope to see the brewery feature on the shelves.

Cheers,
Welp my optimism has faded

Why are brewery features announced before the beer is even tested?
Because otherwise there would be like 2 days between the announcement and beers hitting the shelves.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
tyler90 wrote:
Roland + Russell wrote:The beers are currently undergoing mandatory LCBO lab testing, after that is complete we hope to see the brewery feature on the shelves.
Well my optimism has faded

Why are brewery features announced before the beer is even tested?
Because otherwise there would be like 2 days between the announcement and beers hitting the shelves.
Unless they lost it in the warehouse, took half a year to find it, and then forced it on five protesting LC stores to get rid of it.
In Beerum Veritas

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

Maybe someone can answer this for me.

For brewery features (even seasonal features): why doesn't the LCBO demand a small order of bottles for testing months/weeks in advance of the projected launch date in order to ensure that there's sufficient time for testing, while also helping to have the product hit stores when scheduled to?

Too many times are things scheduled to hit stores for a certain date, but aren't seen by the consumer until 2-3 months later.

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

liamt07 wrote:Maybe someone can answer this for me.

For brewery features (even seasonal features): why doesn't the LCBO demand a small order of bottles for testing months/weeks in advance of the projected launch date in order to ensure that there's sufficient time for testing, while also helping to have the product hit stores when scheduled to?

Too many times are things scheduled to hit stores for a certain date, but aren't seen by the consumer until 2-3 months later.
Perhaps it is because they want to make sure that the ABV of the release is known? I think they have a limit of +-0.2% ABV for <5% and +-0.5% ABV for >5% beers. They do lab testing of ABV and compare it to the stated ABV.

If they do one batch for testing and one batch for release they could attenuate differently or miss gravity by enough to fall outside that?

That is only my guess.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Beers are tested when the submission is selected to proceed after initial tasting.
However, they are also tested again once they arrive and prior to retail release.

Regards,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Roland + Russell wrote:Beers are tested when the submission is selected to proceed after initial tasting.
However, they are also tested again once they arrive and prior to retail release.

Regards,
Who decided what to select for this submission? I'm happy that these beers are coming to the LCBO, however, Mikeller has some very highly regarded beers which unfortunately are not part of this feature.

Roland + Russell

Mikkel himself decided what he wanted the agency to submit for the feature.
Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

Roland + Russell wrote:Mikkel himself decided what he wanted the agency to submit for the feature.
Cheers,
Thanks for the clarification!

vandutchy

Post by vandutchy »

Roland + Russell wrote:Mikkel himself decided what he wanted the agency to submit for the feature.
Cheers,
hey r&r any chance you can find out or ask him directly why he decided on these beers for Ontario and the LCBO? Curious to know his thoughts? Cheers

Roland + Russell

You may get a chance to ask him yourself...stay tuned.
Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

tags for these beers are out at king and spadina.. if that means anything.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

which k rlek is showing up as different vintages

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

northyorksammy wrote:which k rlek is showing up as different vintages
This is the one that was at the media tasting. Might end up being a different vintage on the shelves?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well, I'm hoping the K RLEK is the Summer 2014 'vintage' because it's an American Pale Ale...
In Beerum Veritas