Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Mikkeller Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

admviolin

Post by admviolin »

The monk's brew was very close to style I thought. The cream ale fooled me...I almost thought it was a wit....nice citrus, but really lacking in body.

I grabbed the last black from QQ yesterday, one of the employees said he had 200+ on order.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The Beaches Coxwell store is showing five of the six Mikkellers on the LC website already for days, but none are put on shelves yet. Summerhill is better that way.
In Beerum Veritas

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

admviolin wrote:The monk's brew was very close to style I thought. The cream ale fooled me...I almost thought it was a wit....nice citrus, but really lacking in body.

I grabbed the last black from QQ yesterday, one of the employees said he had 200+ on order.
http://www.foodanddrink.ca/lcbo-ear/lcb ... ber=371906

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

still waiting for someone to chime in about how they like the black. Is everyone saving their bottle(s) for the weekend due to the ABV?

does it compare to DFH world wide stout at all?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Drinking it right now.

Boozy and bitter. Warm, smokey, and sweet. Oil in the mouth. Me likey.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

I was surprised by the bitterness, but it works. Awesome carbonation and chewy, thick mouth feel. Will repeat.

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

I've had the 3 hop forward offerings from this feature, and though they seem to have held up ok to some degree, I don't think it did Mikkeller justice on the whole. Really wish I could lay hands on the Black, but I'm not going to inconvenience myself to get to it. Hoping Monk's is solid, I don't have high hopes for TR.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

instantkamera wrote:I've had the 3 hop forward offerings from this feature, and though they seem to have held up ok to some degree, I don't think it did Mikkeller justice on the whole. Really wish I could lay hands on the Black, but I'm not going to inconvenience myself to get to it. Hoping Monk's is solid, I don't have high hopes for TR.
Next to Black, Texas Ranger was the best offering in this feature. K:Rlek was the only one I haven't had in the past. Had it earlier today, not bad. Also had the Cream Ale and Green Gold tonight, Monk's Brew is most likely next. Stocked up on TR, Black hasn't showed up around here yet.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The K:rlek and Cream Ale though different both remind me of the Canadian Dream, which I really liked. It would not surprse me if the malts were the same. Very fresh, natural tasting beers.

I guess Green Gold won't be a huge shocker for me either...
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

PeenSteen: do you have any way to check and see if these beers are in the Ottawa warehouse? I'm starting to think this feature won't make it out here. Which is weird because we have received every other feature.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:PeenSteen: do you have any way to check and see if these beers are in the Ottawa warehouse? I'm starting to think this feature won't make it out here. Which is weird because we have received every other feature.
It looks as though there isn't any Mikkeller in the Ottawa warehouse

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

thanks for checking. this really sucks.

PeenSteen
Bar Fly

Post by PeenSteen »

spinrsx wrote:thanks for checking. this really sucks.
Have your store transfer it in from a store in Toronto with tons of stock

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I wanted to try all 6, not sure my local is going to bring in 6 24's just for me. (I want 1 bottle of each..)

The lcbo product guide showed at least 3 stores in Ottawa carrying these beers, I wonder what happened.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

PeenSteen wrote:
spinrsx wrote:thanks for checking. this really sucks.
Have your store transfer it in from a store in Toronto with tons of stock
The Black and The Texas Ranger are discontinued so:

*This product has been discontinued. Limited quantities are available for purchase in select stores only and cannot be transferred to other locations.

I think some stores choose not to participate. There are some stores that are showing stock on the Mikkeller that must have received it in error. They must have saw Simcoe and figured it was a Toronto store on Simcoe Street and not Simcoe Ontario.