Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Mikkeller Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Ukie wrote:There are some stores that are showing stock on the Mikkeller that must have received it in error. They must have saw Simcoe and figured it was a Toronto store on Simcoe Street and not Simcoe Ontario.
There is about two cases of each Mikkeller beer (except for the Black) in Sarnia for some reason right now, as well as a few SKUs in several other atypical smallish medium-sized cities like Simcoe and Owen Sound. It's the first time this area has seen a sniff of any of these brewery features, as far as I know.

If the Mikkeller feature is indeed the last in line before this program goes on a hiatus, they may simply be trying to see if other markets are able to move this sort of stuff. Sending a case each out to smaller markets certainly makes more sense than leaving a bunch of spiced Beau's beers to take up shelf space for months at a time in three or four major metropolitan areas.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

darmokandjalad wrote:...If the Mikkeller feature is indeed the last in line before this program goes on a hiatus, they may simply be trying to see if other markets are able to move this sort of stuff.
Might be giving them too much credit as trying to think like a business.
In Beerum Veritas

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

+1
Belgian wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:...If the Mikkeller feature is indeed the last in line before this program goes on a hiatus, they may simply be trying to see if other markets are able to move this sort of stuff.
Might be giving them too much credit as trying to think like a business.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Sarnia is Store #459, and wasn't supposed to get these beers as per the lcbo document. I guess Ottawa's mikkeller beers ended up elsewhere.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

spinrsx wrote:Sarnia is Store #459, and wasn't supposed to get these beers as per the lcbo document. I guess Ottawa's mikkeller beers ended up elsewhere.
That's more like the LCBO I know. They just accidentally shipped all the Ottawa stuff to small towns around the province.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Craig wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Sarnia is Store #459, and wasn't supposed to get these beers as per the lcbo document. I guess Ottawa's mikkeller beers ended up elsewhere.
That's more like the LCBO I know. They just accidentally shipped all the Ottawa stuff to small towns around the province.
Or small stores.

Hamilton Mall Road has Texas Ranger about 23 left, actually less than that now.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

So in a twitter exchange between the Innis road beer guy and Roland and Russel, RnR confirmed that no Mikkeller is destined for Ottawa... LCBO decision. WTF??

How does the second biggest market in the province not get any of this??

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

I'm twice as confused!

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

rejtable wrote:So in a twitter exchange between the Innis road beer guy and Roland and Russel, RnR confirmed that no Mikkeller is destined for Ottawa... LCBO decision. WTF??

How does the second biggest market in the province not get any of this??
That's bullshit! The Black is in Sudbury FFS. Will this same decision be made for other releases? Will we see the rest of the autumn release? The winter release?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

I contacted the lcbo about this. They are "looking into it"

Brutal

I wonder if this has anything to do with the beaus feature. Perhaps they sent us all remaining beaus beers instead of mikkeller to get rid if it. (Since ottawa people seem to be in love with beaus)

Ceecee

Post by Ceecee »

spinrsx wrote:I wonder if this has anything to do with the beaus feature. Perhaps they sent us all remaining beaus beers instead of mikkeller to get rid if it. (Since ottawa people seem to be in love with beaus)
Adding insult to injury. That's about right.

You may be onto something. There was a ton of the Beau's kicking around Ottawa for months. Maybe the powers that be now think the Mikkeller beers won't sell here.

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

We have been trying to get this feature to the Ottawa area stores for some time and are not giving up yet.

Keep your fingers crossed...

Cheers,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

A few of everything, including the black, has ended up in one of m locals that usually shies away from brewery features and beer in general.
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

Ceecee wrote:That's bullshit! The Black is in Sudbury FFS. Will this same decision be made for other releases? Will we see the rest of the autumn release? The winter release?
To my shock and amazement Sudbury got 1 case of the Black. It was gone within 24 hours. I passed on it.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

sprague11 wrote:A few of everything, including the black, has ended up in one of m locals that usually shies away from brewery features and beer in general.
I wonder what the lcbo is up to.