Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Mikkeller Brewery Feature

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

good with either
let's hope

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

maybe the black didn't pass the test? (the one beer I wanted to try more than the others.)

MIKKELLER CREAM ALE
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371914 | 330 mL | $ 4.35

MIKKELLER GREEN GOLD
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371922 | 330 mL | $ 4.60

MIKKELLER K:RLEK
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371930 | 330 mL | $ 4.60

MIKKELLER MONK'S BREW
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371948 | 330 mL | $ 4.65

MIKKELLER TEXAS RANGER
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371955 | 330 mL | $ 4.65

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

I suspect that, if anything, the Black might be tied up with adding a sticker for a different ABV. It's listed as something like 18% on the bottle but I would wager that the LCBO system finds it's actually more like 14%. That might explain it?

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

spinrsx wrote:maybe the black didn't pass the test? (the one beer I wanted to try more than the others.)

MIKKELLER CREAM ALE
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371914 | 330 mL | $ 4.35

MIKKELLER GREEN GOLD
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371922 | 330 mL | $ 4.60

MIKKELLER K:RLEK
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371930 | 330 mL | $ 4.60

MIKKELLER MONK'S BREW
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371948 | 330 mL | $ 4.65

MIKKELLER TEXAS RANGER
Denmark | Mikkeller
LCBO 371955 | 330 mL | $ 4.65
these 5 in abundance at summerhill now. Picture on the pale matches the summer 2014 edition, and an expiry date into 2016 for a pale...what do others think of that.
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller- ... 14/257787/

liamt07
Bar Fly

Post by liamt07 »

northyorksammy wrote:an expiry date into 2016 for a pale...what do others think of that.
Think it's a *bleep*ing joke.

Winged

Post by Winged »

northyorksammy wrote: Picture on the pale matches the summer 2014 edition
What picture are you referring to? A pic of the actual beer at the LCBO store?

The pic posted in this thread is from an even older edition.

skootles

Post by skootles »

Winged wrote:
northyorksammy wrote: Picture on the pale matches the summer 2014 edition
What picture are you referring to? A pic of the actual beer at the LCBO store?

The pic posted in this thread is from an even older edition.
Yep, picked up one at Summerhill yesterday and the label matches the one for the Fall/Winter 2013 edition, except where it says "Efterår/Vinter 2013", my bottle just says "Mikkeller."

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/mikkeller- ... 13/227750/

Winged

Post by Winged »

OK, thanks for clarifying. I didn't know they would have custom labels here in Can.

I am guessing (hoping) they are the fall seasonals brewed this year. We just got the K:rlek Höst/Vinter (Fall/Winter) 2014 released at the Systembolaget (Sweden's LCBO, sort of).

http://www.systembolaget.se/11667

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

As per skootles, the K:RLEK label is the same as the one posted earlier in the thread and for "Efterår/Vinter 2013" on Ratebeer (but just says pale ale). But as per R&R it was brewed fresh for Canada....so I'm guessing they just re-brewed the 2013 pale ale...otherwise they would have used a variation of one of the 2014 labels, right?

It.s labelled as 5.9% too.

The Texas Ranger has the same label.

The cream ale does has a friendly yellow label wit ha hat on it....surprisingly not the double guns label ;)

Didn't see monks brew, green gold or black when I picked these up.

skootles

Post by skootles »

I grabbed one each of the 5 when I was there yesterday:

atomeyes
Beer Superstar

Post by atomeyes »

very eager to hear your reviews so i can confirm that my hard-earned money is best not spent on these overpriced quaffs.

Mikkeler's like a really good Beau's. Including their labels.
Take from that as you like.

Droogy

Post by Droogy »

Black on the floor at QUeens Quay late last night. Labelled as 17%, not white stickered

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Great news!
Droogy wrote:Black on the floor at QUeens Quay late last night. Labelled as 17%, not white stickered

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

atomeyes wrote:very eager to hear your reviews so i can confirm that my hard-earned money is best not spent on these overpriced quaffs.

The only beer here that is worth the price of admission is the Texas Ranger. I won't spend those prices for those particular styles... not a chance. I did purchase the Texas Ranger though, being that it is something interesting and different that we rarely ever see here... and it was excellent. Top notch. Basically a nice stout with a spicy, peppery taste and finish. Loved it. If only for the one time... but I may buy it again... and I maaaaaay cave on the Monks Brew, because of the ABV... the Black is in another ballpark though, and I'll have to try it on general principle. The cream ale, kriek, and ipa and go eff themselves.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

Blasphomet wrote:
atomeyes wrote:very eager to hear your reviews so i can confirm that my hard-earned money is best not spent on these overpriced quaffs.

The only beer here that is worth the price of admission is the Texas Ranger. I won't spend those prices for those particular styles... not a chance. I did purchase the Texas Ranger though, being that it is something interesting and different that we rarely ever see here... and it was excellent. Top notch. Basically a nice stout with a spicy, peppery taste and finish. Loved it. If only for the one time... but I may buy it again... and I maaaaaay cave on the Monks Brew, because of the ABV... the Black is in another ballpark though, and I'll have to try it on general principle. The cream ale, kriek, and ipa and go eff themselves.
the latter three were all alright. nice to try, no rush to try again.