Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Drie Fonteinen at the LCBO question

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Drie Fonteinen at the LCBO question

Post by spinrsx »

Can someone explain how the lcbo received the Drie Fonteinen armand and tomme(y)?

Has the lcbo ever carried any of the other 3F vareties? If not, how/why in the world did they ever get the a&t?

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

spinrsx wrote:Can someone explain how the lcbo received the Drie Fonteinen armand and tomme(y)?

Has the lcbo ever carried any of the other 3F vareties? If not, how/why in the world did they ever get the a&t?
I don't know if they every carried other varieties but 3F sent a bunch of A&T to Canada and Australia at roughly the same time. Toronto is a big market and they bought a little over 600 bottles. It didn't make it very far outside the GTA if it did at all. The LCBO got Kuhnhenn 4D prior to that. The LCBO gets Utopias and sells it exactly at Boston Beer Company's MSRP rather than marking it up over $100 like most retailers will do in the US. In my experience the LCBO has been a bit of an anomaly. They have lousy selection on a day-to-day basis but they occasionally bring in something ridiculously good for no discernible reason and proceed to sell it at a very fair price.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

^ the Elsie don't seem to look for the maximum profit for these small-order beers, or any other product that in general serve a very specialized audience (Rochefort and Orval are also exceedingly good value for price, much less than in the USA but the market is tiny.) The Board (it has been said) have a political obligation to sell a certain number of 'those' beers as an otherwise thriving monopoly generally reaping high profits with little effort and mainstream goods. Armand & Tomme doesn't blip on their radar whatever profit they make or don't make on it.

Speaking of which I forgot my DreiFont bottles are this ^ rare blend, so really looking forward to trying this after reading the cool story about it!
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

ChrisK wrote:
spinrsx wrote:Can someone explain how the lcbo received the Drie Fonteinen armand and tomme(y)?

It didn't make it very far outside the GTA if it did at all..
I can confirm bottles made it way out to the boonies of Ottawa.

ChrisK

Post by ChrisK »

rejtable wrote:
ChrisK wrote:

I stand corrected. Make that major metropolitan areas, then.

Kish84
Bar Fly

Post by Kish84 »

rejtable wrote:
ChrisK wrote:

Yup, Waterloo had some too. Still have a bottle left, it's either being saved for a special occasion, or a trade.
"There's always money in the banana stand."

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

Windsor received 24.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

Received this from the LCBO. Who is/was repping them?

In the short term we do not have any plans to bring in beer from 3 Fonteinen. The LCBO issues product calls, similar to tenders, for suppliers to submit products for consideration. Neither the brewery nor the Agent have submitted a product for consideration since 2012.

Regards,
Leanne
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

sprague11 wrote:Received this from the LCBO. Who is/was repping them?

In the short term we do not have any plans to bring in beer from 3 Fonteinen. The LCBO issues product calls, similar to tenders, for suppliers to submit products for consideration. Neither the brewery nor the Agent have submitted a product for consideration since 2012.

Regards,
Leanne
Most 3F is distributed by a third party. This third party is the one that ships to Shelton Bros in the US and Craft Beer Importers in Alberta.

I have put Keep6 in touch with this third party and I believe they will attempt to bring some in. However, I don't know whether or not they would bother trying to submit 3F as an LCBO product listing when they can probably sell whatever allocation they receive to bars. If they do bring somein though, they better sell some to me....

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

If only they'd respond to my emails :(
"A good light beer is one that doesn't taste like piss!" - Frank d'Angelo