Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO Winter Craft Beer Release 2014

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now

Midtfyns Bryghus Chili Tripel Spiced Ale
LCBO#: 397463 | 500 mL bottle
$6.25

The Fundamental Blackhorn
LCBO#: 397455 | 500 mL bottle
$7.70

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

Just picked up some Dragon's Milk fresh off the LCBO truck, bottled on date of 15/10/2014.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

spinrsx wrote:listed now

$6.25

$7.70
Neither of these showing up on Drinkvine. :(

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ukie wrote:Just picked up some Dragon's Milk fresh off the LCBO truck, bottled on date of 15/10/2014.
^ I would usually pay for them in the store, but you do have initiative. Wanna trade some for a pair of BluRay players? :)
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Blasphomet wrote:

$6.25

$7.70
Neither of these showing up on Drinkvine. :(
The search might not find 'em, but if you change the LCBO# in the URL for any listing, they'll come up - i.e.:

http://drinkvine.com/drinkdetail.php?pr ... 3&type=ont

http://drinkvine.com/drinkdetail.php?pr ... 5&type=ont

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

came across this..

rodenbach in february?! sigh.

http://hellolcbo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2262

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

spinrsx wrote:came across this..

Yeah, saw that this morning, and was just about to edit the top post in this thread to show the dates.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of a staggered release. It's certainly easier on the wallet & cellar space to have the beers come out in smaller batches over the course of 2-3 months.

But it would be nice if the releases were actually PLANNED that way, and the release dates announced as such in advance, rather than the current system of announcing one release week for the whole set, and then having them trickle in over the next few weeks or months.

Wheatsheaf

Post by Wheatsheaf »

GregClow wrote:Personally, I don't mind the idea of a staggered release. It's certainly easier on the wallet & cellar space to have the beers come out in smaller batches over the course of 2-3 months.
I've been thinking for a while now that the seasonal release concept has run its course and should be replaced with something else. If Vintages hadn't dumped the beer category I wouldn't be surprised to see them releasing at least 4-6 new beers every two weeks.
Here's to the slow path.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

GregClow wrote:

Yeah, saw that this morning, and was just about to edit the top post in this thread to show the dates.

Personally, I don't mind the idea of a staggered release. It's certainly easier on the wallet & cellar space to have the beers come out in smaller batches over the course of 2-3 months.

But it would be nice if the releases were actually PLANNED that way, and the release dates announced as such in advance, rather than the current system of announcing one release week for the whole set, and then having them trickle in over the next few weeks or months.
At least they bothered to tell us this time. The worst is waiting and having no idea it's not going to show up for another 4 months.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

both showing stock now too

$6.25

$7.70

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:
GregClow wrote:Personally, I don't mind the idea of a staggered release. It's certainly easier on the wallet & cellar space to have the beers come out in smaller batches over the course of 2-3 months.

At least they bothered to tell us this time. The worst is waiting and having no idea it's not going to show up...
I'm just amazed they have any idea at ALL what's going on in February.

They don't seem to ever get a handle on predicting beer releases - whether or not that is the nature of dealing with various smaller breweries, I don't know.

I suppose the worst of it is not paying attention the week a beer randomly becomes available, everyone grabs it & I miss out on it. Soviet-style service there, too...
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Hi there,

We though we might chime in on the topic of late arrival without, in any shape or form, addressing the products in this particular release.
While it is an easy, and often the most logical thing to assign a great deal responsibility for late product arrival to the LCBO, in reality there are so many elements that can delay a product and many of them are outside LCBO's control or influence.

Here are just a few of the causes we have seen with our products:

- producer not having the order ready on the agreed pick up date
- consolidation delays on the part of freight forwarder
- transportation delays (weather, labour issues, etc)
- relabeling delays and other non-compliance corrections
- requoting after product arrives (exchange rate fluctuations)
- lab issues

Best,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

listed now:

Steamworks Blitzen
LCBO#: 399196 | 650 mL bottle
$6.95

Black Betty Strong Ale
LCBO#: 397687 | 330 mL bottle
$3.70

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

it's funny - the lcbo has revised this list from 'mid december' to 'late december' for some beers. They can't even meet their own revised timelines. (And I'm sure it will get revised again to say 'Early January')

It should also mention some sort of disclaimer about the dates reflecting inventory in toronto area stores. It is misleading for the people in Ottawa for example since we typically get things 3-4 weeks after toronto.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Dying for the Smuttynose Imperial Stout.