Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CBC Piece on the LCBO Lab

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BakaGaijin

CBC Piece on the LCBO Lab

Post by BakaGaijin »

3 days!?!.....is that legit?!?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Can see the st bernardus xmas and the bernardus mixed pack in there... and a bunch of evil twin! Imperial stouts, barleywine, pilsner. Next brewery feature?!?!

This combined with the winter release and the mikkeller release; Christmas is shaping up to be epic at the lcbo

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

spinrsx wrote:Can see the st bernardus xmas and the bernardus mixed pack in there... and a bunch of evil twin! Imperial stouts, barleywine, pilsner. Next brewery feature?!?!

This combined with the winter release and the mikkeller release; Christmas is shaping up to be epic at the lcbo
Saw that too. Puff piece aside, that's promising.

rfrf

Post by rfrf »

spinrsx wrote:Can see the st bernardus xmas and the bernardus mixed pack in there... and a bunch of evil twin! Imperial stouts, barleywine, pilsner. Next brewery feature?!?!

Evil Twin is in a ton of local bars now though and they test everything that comes into Ontario, not just going to the LCBO, right? Here's hoping.. !

instantkamera

Post by instantkamera »

rfrf wrote:

Evil Twin is in a ton of local bars now though and they test everything that comes into Ontario, not just going to the LCBO, right? Here's hoping.. !
Yeah never even thought of that, but that's correct. I've had Yin/Yang and it had extra stickers on it, presumably from the LCBO.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Ya, I didn't think of that either. There was only 4 evil twin beers there as well, I assume a feature would be 5-6 different brews.

this was the bernardus mixed pack in the video

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

Didn't LCBO make Evil Twin take off the word evil from the bottles owing to it making fun of people with a disability?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

northyorksammy wrote:Didn't LCBO make Evil Twin take off the word evil from the bottles owing to it making fun of people with a disability?
I'm trying to decide which would be more offensive, the LCBO thinking people would in any way associate twins with being evil or the LCBO assuming being a twin is a disability.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

wondering how much that bernardus mixed pack is going to cost. It's $25.99 in the states

ercousin

Post by ercousin »

You can tell by watching how much he prefers wine over beer, no wonder it takes months for beer to get tested. I bet the time time for wine is much less than that...

3 days for testing, weeks sitting in the warehouse waiting to start testing...

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

It's like a US border crossing with one guard booth open, except wines get a NEXUS pass.
In Beerum Veritas

DarcyK

Post by DarcyK »

I think chances are good of the St Bernardus mix pack being released at the LCBO, given the Abt 12 on the shelf right now. Those bottles of Evil Twin could have been for Keep6. I remember Ralph saying that every beer they import privately still has to be tested by the LGBO, even if it never lands on an LCBO shelf. That might explain why many of us have seen them at bars, but not in the LCBO.

napoleon

Post by napoleon »

An interesting question would be how often the LCBO finds something that's actually contaminated. To my knowledge, no state in the US puts this level of testing into things, and yet you never hear of any wine or beer poisonings there.

I'm sure this process is pretty expensive in terms of equipment and labor. I'd rather see it drastically reduced in favour of lower prices for me, additional revenue for the province, or both.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

figured out where some of those evil twin beers in the video ended up

skootles

Post by skootles »

And some more made it to Thirsty: