Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Which LCBO Beers Do You Miss The Most?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Orval_Al wrote:
El Pinguino wrote:
Orval_Al wrote:I work at The Prenup Pub in Toronto (sister bar of Sin and Redemption, Town Crier & Village Idiot). For those interested in glassware, we have a pretty huge selection, and the owner sells them for $6 a glass. Just ask your server.

Some of the glasses we're short on and can't part with, but I mean you could feasibly pick up glasses for La Trappe, Rochefort, Chimay, Duvel, Weihenstephaner, Maredsous, Erdinger, etc.
Oh man...I broke my Rochefort glass a while back....might have to visit and try and replace it. Cheers!
Yeah I've been meaning to snag one of those for a while. In my opinion, the nicest Trappist glass around. Maybe the nicest beer glass I've ever seen even. So wide! The flavours really expand.
Ya, was super sad when I broke that one. I'd put the crazy big triple Karmeliet glass up near the top of my favourites. Similar to a Duvel glass, but even better.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

Orval_Al wrote:I work at The Prenup Pub in Toronto (sister bar of Sin and Redemption, Town Crier & Village Idiot). For those interested in glassware, we have a pretty huge selection, and the owner sells them for $6 a glass. Just ask your server.

Some of the glasses we're short on and can't part with, but I mean you could feasibly pick up glasses for La Trappe, Rochefort, Chimay, Duvel, Weihenstephaner, Maredsous, Erdinger, etc.

Merci. Your work place looks very promising. Would love to pop in soon. Is the beer list on the site more or less up to date?

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Lukie wrote:

Merci. Your work place looks very promising. Would love to pop in soon. Is the beer list on the site more or less up to date?
Just checked the website, and for the most part the tap list is up to date. The following beers we don't have anymore:

Both Petrus
Hop-it
Konig Ludwig Weiss
Thurn & Taxis dark
Warsteiner Gold
Murphys Stout
Newcastle Brown
Hops and Bolts
King brewery stuff

And we've replaced them with:

Jopen (can't recall the actual one...triple hopped belgian ale of sorts)
Belhaven Stout
O'hara's Stout
La Fin Du Monde
Maudite
Czechvar lager
Czechvar dark
Ottakringer Vienna lager

That's off the top of my head...haha.

Honestly, I was never into Belgian or world beers before I started working there, but I've since become absolutely addicted. We also feature pretty much the best prices in the city for a lot of bottled imports. We sell Liefmans Goudenband for instance (oud bruin which I love) for $8.50 a bottle. The next cheapest I've found it in Toronto is at Wise Bar for $15. Bar Isabel sells it for $18. We also have Westvleteren 12 for $22 a bottle, which I can't help but think is the cheapest in town.

I'm not a manager or anything, just a server there, but I'm a beer freak so I feel like spreading the word is my rightful duty. I like this community a lot!

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

El Pinguino wrote:
Ya, was super sad when I broke that one. I'd put the crazy big triple Karmeliet glass up near the top of my favourites. Similar to a Duvel glass, but even better.
Oh yeah, we have Triple Karmeliet and serve it in those beautiful glasses. Very limited amount though, so probably couldn't sell those.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Provost Drunk wrote:

Duvel tulips are my personal go-to whenever I'm looking to do a tasting of Belgian ales. The shape of the glass is almost a cross between a chalice and a tulip because it is so wide but still flares in; I find it's the best glass for really bringing out the aroma and flavour in beer. I had two from the old LCBO gift packs, but I really wanted more for those circumstances where I (with friends or alone...) am tasting more than two beers. My wife was able to procure 4 more for me from Town Crier as part of my Christmas present (she is much more thoughtful/creative with gift giving than I am). It would be nice to add some Rochefort or La Trappe chalices to the collection for style points. I have an Orval chalice that I brought back from Belgium that is a prized piece. Trappist glassware is quite elegant.
I know for a fact we have an abundance of La Trappe glasses, which are pretty nice (not quite as nice as the Rochefort ones though imo).

As per the Orval glass, very jealous. It's my favourite beer. Really wish the LCBO would stock it as a regular, but that's more wishful thinking I guess. Luckily my girlfriend grew up on the Quebec border, and can make easy trips to the SAQ. :D

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

SKiB wrote:FYI, http://www.truebeer.com/ has a pretty good selection of Belgian beer glasses including most of the Trappist beer glasses. Fairly reasonably priced and they ship to Canada too.
Thank you. Will be exploring this for sure.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

P.S. Good luck getting a Pauwel Kwak Beaker hahaha.

Lukie

Post by Lukie »

SKiB wrote:FYI, http://www.truebeer.com/ has a pretty good selection of Belgian beer glasses including most of the Trappist beer glasses. Fairly reasonably priced and they ship to Canada too.

Their prices for the glassware are reasonable; their price for shipping is brutal!!!! As an example, a 4 glass package from various Trappist monasteries rings in at $42US, but the delivery is another $53US. Can't imagine any customers from Canada paying that much. It seems that bars are still the best option for us.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

What's the deal with De Koninck at the three places Orval_Al?

It's been forever since it's been available and it's never been taken off the menu.
lister

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

lister wrote:What's the deal with De Koninck at the three places Orval_Al?

It's been forever since it's been available and it's never been taken off the menu.
Can't speak for the other locations but at Prenup we've had it pretty consistently the entire time. It's available right now on tap.

biegaman
Bar Fly

Post by biegaman »

lister wrote:What's the deal with De Koninck at the three places Orval_Al?

Inventory for De Koninck has always been available. If it wasn't in stock it's because the owner wasn't ordering it. Last time I went to Town Crier they were out of Liefmans, La Chouffe, Maredsous and De Koninck and had no reason to be. But Prenup has been really good about having brands in stock.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I was just thinking about this beer today...Black butte porter. God how I wish the Lcbo would make this a regular listing

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I was just thinking about this beer today...Black butte porter. God how I wish the Lcbo would make this a regular listing
The LCBO had a good streak with porters for a while there, add Black Butte to my list along with Arcadia London Porter, Anchor Porter and Smuttynose Robust Porter. I also miss Founders Centennial IPA, and well pretty much the whole Founders Brewing feature for that matter.

walz22

Post by walz22 »

Cuvee Van De Keizer Blauw... I really do hope last year was just a one-off and that it comes back again later this year.

CoolB

Post by CoolB »

Come to think of it I'm missing Orval right now. Wasn't it already in stores and gone by now this time last year?
You know what I have in my cellar? Dust, I have dust in my cellar.