Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

LCBO brewery features ending?

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

LCBO brewery features ending?

Post by spinrsx »

saw this in a LCBO document:

'NOTE: The Brewery Spotlight Program will be discontinued'

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Does that mean there will never be a founders feature part 2?

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

or another Beau's feature?!

groulxsome

Post by groulxsome »

Can't really blame them if they did. The Beau's feature took forever to turn over, some of the late arrival BC beers are still kicking around... and without enough shelf space for Ontario craft, I could see them just going with the five seasonal releases. Shelves are crowded.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

if done properly, this could have been great. The founders beers flew off the shelves. The BC beers would have gone faster if they all appeared in 1 shot and were all fresh. Oh well.

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

I think this is really unfortunate news. I understand that issues with roll out are a likely culprit, but I am concerned that this may mean we won't be getting some of those out of province/country beers anymore. Am I misunderstanding this?

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

spinrsx wrote:if done properly, this could have been great. The founders beers flew off the shelves. The BC beers would have gone faster if they all appeared in 1 shot and were all fresh. Oh well.
Totally agree! Good idea on paper, not so much in reality.

25-30 stores chosen how? Some stores got some of the beers, some stores on the list got none, some stores not on the list got some, some cities not on the list, ok Hamilton.

This is great news and now I have almost nothing to bitch about.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

With all the LC money to spend on promoting product, this seemed like a good low-cost idea to develop interest in selective markets.

Not that it makes them a heap of cash in return. The 'curated' approach to beer selection development has never been their forté as a gigantic company, it's more something you'd get at a small private retail level where a store may be highly motivated to attract their local niche market.
In Beerum Veritas

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

The LCBO says these are "temporarily on hold" while they "evaluate" them. So there you go. No more for the time being.