Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Laphrioag Quarter Cask advice wanted

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Laphrioag Quarter Cask advice wanted

Post by JeffPorter »

Noticed this was 10 bucks off this week only. Wondering people's opinions. I like talks talisker. Does this compare in a similar way?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

I'll be picking up at least 1 but likely 2 bottles. I've only ever had a small sample of Talisker 10 so cant't really judge it against that but Laphroaig QC at this price it's a GREAT deal on an already well priced bottle. It fetches higher prices across the border where the Laphroaig 10 yr can be had for around $40
It's not the most complex but you can get your peat fix just fine.

And if you pick up the QC but have buyers remorse you can always wait for its value to increase (back to $69.95, or possibly higher soon) and exchange it for something else.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Forgot that I can just return it. But I assume I'll probably like it.

Is the idea that the quarter casks age the whiskey a little faster - is that why the age isn't labelled?
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:Forgot that I can just return it. But I assume I'll probably like it.

Is the idea that the quarter casks age the whiskey a little faster - is that why the age isn't labelled?
First in the used Makers Mark bourbon barrel, think about 5 years or so and then again in the smaller quarter-casks, maybe a year or less, but here the whisky has more surface area contact with wood.

Automatic

Post by Automatic »

The QC is much peatier than the Talisker 10. It's young and brash, with lots of peat and smoke but also sweet vanilla, whereas the Talisker is mildly peated with a coastal salinity.

If you like the Talisker you'll probably enjoy the Laphroaig.

I picked up two bottles for my bunker.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Another question about this or any other scotch...is there colourings and more importantly does that really matter? Do true whiskey fans seek out only scotch without it?

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:Another question about this or any other scotch...is there colourings and more importantly does that really matter? Do true whiskey fans seek out only scotch without it?
The caramel e150 additive is from my understanding a pretty big irritant with scotch and other whisk(e)y drinkers, just like whisky that is chillfiltered.
Very doubtful I could (or anyone) ever detect e150 as it's added in small quanities to give whisky a consistent colour but not impart a smell or taste but to me it just seems very artificial and deceptive. Bowmore 12 is a very unnatural deep brown, it's like bronzer for scotch, why is that shit needed? If it hasn't been aged long let it look closer to a chardonay than Coca Cola.
I do the little bit of research and prefer spending my money on bottles that are un-chillfiltered, natural colour and over the min 40% and more and more am buying unadulterated cask strength whiskies so as to choose to dilute to my own specifications.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I emailed Laphroaig and while they say it's non chill filtered they "reserve the right" to add colouring to keep everything consistent.

I dunno. That seems a little defensive and vague for me and kind of sours the experience. It seems kind of backward for me.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:I emailed Laphroaig and while they say it's non chill filtered they "reserve the right" to add colouring to keep everything consistent.

I dunno. That seems a little defensive and vague for me and kind of sours the experience. It seems kind of backward for me.
Yep. Unless the bottle explicitly states, no-chillfilteration and/or no e150 or natural colour then assume it's been adulterated. With the case of Quarter Cask I'm just not sure what Laphroaig are hiding from because we know it's a young whisky, there's no age stated, so why trick us into thinking it was in those casks longer than it is. That is the appeal to me - that it is young and brash peat that hasn't been tempered by age so why the disguise.
Still I think QC is very good and an excellent price so you could certainly do a lot worse.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

Yikes. The more I read about it the more I'm second thinking scotch in general and might just stick with bourbon.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:Yikes. The more I read about it the more I'm second thinking scotch in general and might just stick with bourbon.
Sorry not my intention to steer you away from scotch and while colouring straight bourbon isn't permittted chillfilteration is common. I think Canadian whisky can have up to 9% of 'other' liquid besides the corn, rye, wheat malted barley, etc make up and Canadian distillers are pretty opaque when it comes to what goes in barrel, age of whisky etc.
Prety sure you could uncover 'other' ingredients in beer as well.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

No no...I might just have to be picky...or...Maybe it's not that big of a deal. I just checked my bottle of Glendronach 12 which is Sherri ed and quite dark but it says natural colour and no chill filtered so that's good.

It's just hard to believe that someone would spend all those years aging a whiskey just to add colour to it. Talisker 10 I guess is colored. Maybe the next bottle I get I'll just spring for an ardberg 10.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:No no...I might just have to be picky...or...Maybe it's not that big of a deal. I just checked my bottle of Glendronach 12 which is Sherri ed and quite dark but it says natural colour and no chill filtered so that's good.

It's just hard to believe that someone would spend all those years aging a whiskey just to add colour to it. Talisker 10 I guess is colored. Maybe the next bottle I get I'll just spring for an ardberg 10.
Yeah I think most if not all of 'Dronach is natural colour. How is that anyway? I really enjoy the Aberlour A'Bunadh and that's a sherry bomb. I don't care how natural a scotch is I refuse to pay $100 for a 10 year old Ardbeg that costs half that stateside.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

It was sort of my first real bottle of scotch. It's pretty great, but It's also a bit of a sherry bomb, so quite dessert-y which I kind of like. When I went to summerhill to try scotches the guy at the tasting counter recommended it as something of pretty high quality, a great starter scotch, and a really decent value.

Beer'n'gin

Post by Beer'n'gin »

JeffPorter wrote:It was sort of my first real bottle of scotch. It's pretty great, but It's also a bit of a sherry bomb, so quite dessert-y which I kind of like. When I went to summerhill to try scotches the guy at the tasting counter recommended it as something of pretty high quality, a great starter scotch, and a really decent value.
Nice. I think i'll pick it up once I've emptied one of my sherried scotches, Glenfarclas 105 being the other one open. The 'Dronach is a relatively good price right now but I could definitely see a price increase coming soon.