Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fruit, flowers, and spice beers are underrated and deserve more respect

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I saw on TBS site they have broadhead blueberry blonde which is rated 83 for fruit beer style on ratebeer

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Craig wrote:If you're going out East, look for Pumphouse Blueberry Ale. It's one of the few fruit beers I can think of that's pleasantly sweet and straightforward, rather than the complex sours and saisons that are popular these days.
Hey Craig, I am leaving for east coast August 1st. Any suggestions on where to pick it up? I am a huge fan of blueberry beers!

Thanks for the post mate

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

GtownRandy wrote:I saw on TBS site they have broadhead blueberry blonde which is rated 83 for fruit beer style on ratebeer
Is this new? Heading to their site now

You guys are great!

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Hmm, no luck. A search for "broadhead" on TBS dot ca yields only something called a dark horse stout

Where did you see it?

Edit - found it via Google. Heading to Heartland Town Center this aft to get both the blueberry blonde at TBS and the raspberry uber at LCBO

Going to be perfect for our family BBQ tonight!

Cheers

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

duckdown wrote:
Craig wrote:If you're going out East, look for Pumphouse Blueberry Ale. It's one of the few fruit beers I can think of that's pleasantly sweet and straightforward, rather than the complex sours and saisons that are popular these days.
Hey Craig, I am leaving for east coast August 1st. Any suggestions on where to pick it up? I am a huge fan of blueberry beers!

Thanks for the post mate
It's petty common out there. You ought to be able to find it all over the place.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Damn, their system lied to me! They have an interactive touchscreen interface thing at the store itself, and it shows the stock in real time.. and it was zero.

The one employee says it's sold out almost everywhere, none left in Brampton and only 3 cans at Dixie and Dundas in Mississauga

Bummer! I did however score huge at the LCBO at Heartland.. Picked up some Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere, some random grapefruit IPA, a Waterloo Blueberry Hefeweizen, Samuel Smith Organic Apricot Ale, Royal City Hibiscus Saison, a citra rhubarb beer, and some 12 minutes to destiny

Planning to put together a cheese board with flights of 5 different beers for some family, I bet they will go great with simple cheese and crackers.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

sounds like a good selection of available fruit-style beers (forgot about the rhubarb ale)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I had the Bam Biere last night....out of this world good. On the other side, i've had the sam smiths apricot before and I absolutely hated it. One of the very few sam smiths products that i havn't enjoyed.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BURDOCK brew pub and bottle store has all kinds of fruit beers going on now and they switch them up quite a bit it seems.

The Berliner Weisse has been made with plums, White peach, mango, cranberry, and I just got a Rhubarb Strawberry version I'm drinking now that's very good and aromatic, and just about as acidic as you'd want a BW to be!
Other beers that her fruit added are Gose (key lime) and Saison (raspberry).

NICKEL BROOK made an outstandingly tasty gose with cucumber, technically anything with seeds is from the reproductive part of the plant and a fruit.

All grains for brewing are fruits as well, as are nuts, pumpkin, squash, peppers, seeds, corn kernels. Chocolate and coffee are from seeds of fruits. You've been drinking fruit beer a lot I notice...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Enjoying a Nickel Brook Raspberry Berliner Weisse, also a good one. Mini-Belgian 375 ml bottle, capped, $3.95.

Lots of it around some areas. This wins for having a natural tart berry taste that compliments the quenching dry-sour profile (whereas German bars might just add sugary syrup) so gonna grab a few more to 'session' a few hot afternoons away...
In Beerum Veritas

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

Another option for an Ontario brewed fruit beer available at the LCBO is Beyond the Pale's Pink Fuzz Grapefruit Wheat.

FEUO

Post by FEUO »

sofakingdrunk wrote:I had the Bam Biere last night....out of this world good. On the other side, i've had the sam smiths apricot before and I absolutely hated it. One of the very few sam smiths products that i havn't enjoyed.
What fruits/flowers/spices are in Bam Biere?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:
Bummer! I did however score huge at the LCBO at Heartland.. Picked up some Jolly Pumpkin Bam Biere, some random grapefruit IPA, a Waterloo Blueberry Hefeweizen, Samuel Smith Organic Apricot Ale, Royal City Hibiscus Saison, a citra rhubarb beer, and some 12 minutes to destiny
Feuo-No spices/fruit/flowers that I know of, I was just responding to the above quote with some thoughts

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Stopped in the lcbo today. The unibroue epehmere seasonal 750ml is out now. Blueberry flavour

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

FEUO wrote:[What fruits/flowers/spices are in Bam Biere?
Grains are from the fruiting part of the plant, bwaha. ;)

The Bam is getting some great reviews, though so I need to try one soon - and possibly stock up. We now return to our usual social programming...
In Beerum Veritas