Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Fruit, flowers, and spice beers are underrated and deserve more respect

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

Fruit, flowers, and spice beers are underrated and deserve more respect

Post by duckdown »

Hey folks.. I will start by saying I know this is going to be extremely unpopular.

Most fruit beers get crucified on the rate beer type websites - but I don't actually care and I don't judge my beers based on popular opinion.. Unlike the rest of the beer expert population, I actually love a Fruli on draught while sitting on a patio.

Even more so This summer I find myself craving infused beers. IPAs have become extremely saturated, and as much as I love them, I cannot get excited about another GLB IPA at this point, I'm sorry. Lagers and Pilsners, I like too, and usually will switch to these or an ISA when I'm in session mode. But they are generally boring and just don't excite me, even when good ones come along. And even if I drink these for a night, I start with something far more flavorful and interesting.

So I actually think the future of craft will hold a lot of spices, flowers, and fruits, to be honest, and here is why: It opens up an infinite world of possibilities.

Strawberry wheats, blueberry ales or hefe's, hibiscus beers, rose petals and pink peppercorns, papaya or mango saisons, the list goes on. Watch the Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown episode about NOMA restaurant and Copenhagen, and they even enjoy asparagus beer!

I am finding it extremely easy to enjoy all all of these lately. something I would not have said years ago back when a good local IPA even was hard to come by, and herd mentality convinced me fruit beers were blasphemous.

The craft beer market is expanding too rapidly and it's becoming saturated with styles that taste the same, or specific beers that don't taste the same from batch to batch.

I truly think fruit, flowers, and spices give beers and producers the ability to be truly unique, rather than trying to make the hoppyest, grapefruityest IPA EVER!

They get a bad rap but I really hope herd mentality doesn't stop breweries from experimenting with it. Fruit does not have to mean sickly sweet! Craft Heads in Windsor is one of the first places that seemed to embrace this idea and as a result have some absolutely delicious seasonal beers

Thanks for reading

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

There are lots of highly rated fruit and spice beers on the sites. Spices tend to review favourably in imperial stouts (the #2 and #7 beers on ratebeer right now are spiced IS) and there are loads of examples of highly rated lambics with fruits and flowers, along with even more new world saisons and wild beers with the same.

If you're limiting yourself to what's available in-province, I still think there's plenty of options out there, mostly very highly regarded by beer geeks in particular. Just look at the raves for Raspberry Uber or Grandma's Boy on this site, for recent examples off the top of my head.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Thanks very much for the post. Do you know any that are readily available at the LCBO? I'm going to google the two you mentioned now

I've been trying to find the Forgotten Lake Blueberry Ale but it's not available near me. Blueberry beers are amazing with pancakes, maple syrup, and bacon while camping outdoors!

I hear good things about Nickelbrook Raspberry Berliner but it's not in Brampton yet

Edit - yes I am talking about Ontario Craft Brewers specifically as I just see too many trying to jump on the IPA bandwagon. Ontario has some amazing wild fruit, herbs, and flowers that grow wild and can be foraged or grown from seed

What I really want is a beer made with "alpine strawberries" (fraises des bois). Tiny, insanely fragrant and flavorful wild strawberries that grew wild in Thunder Bay and across Kenora, Ontario.. It would be glorious!

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Airport/bovaird has lots of nb raspberry uber. As does georgetown south if youre on that side of brampton.

Others you may like include royal city hibiscus saison, collective arts papaya saison in the summer pack, and unibroue ephemere wheat in the variety packs at lcbo and tbs which come in raspberry and pear i believe

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

A couple of my favourite beerz this summer have been fruit beers. Starting with grandmas boy, I can't think of anything that would make that beer any better. I'm enjoying the unibroue raspberry ephemere(from tbs mixer pack). I'm regularly buying royal city Habiscus and the nickelbrook uber is great as well

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

sofakingdrunk wrote:A couple of my favourite beerz this summer have been fruit beers. Starting with grandmas boy, I can't think of anything that would make that beer any better. I'm enjoying the unibroue raspberry ephemere(from tbs mixer pack). I'm regularly buying royal city Habiscus and the nickelbrook uber is great as well
Thanks again for all the replies. Where can I try this much talked about Grandmas Boy? I appreciate the help! Cheers

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Grandmas boy was a recent bellwoods release. I highly doubt there's any left at the brewery. Best bet would be scoring off of someone

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Darn, I've actually never tried a Bellwoods beer, ever. I spend my time between Brampton, Montreal, and Windsor.. Never downtown Toronto unfortunately

Wouldn't have a clue on how to go about getting some off somebody, but I'll happily buy it if the opportunity ever comes up

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Grandmas boy was a recent bellwoods release. I highly doubt there's any left at the brewery. Best bet would be scoring off of someone
No Grandma's Boy, but they did release a plum beer today.

jp_jkl

Post by jp_jkl »

I picked up the Plum Jelly King today. Regular Jelly King is in stock too. I missed out on the Apricot version a few weeks back so I'm looking forward to this plum version.

Duckdown, check out Halo Brewery as well. They're a brand new craft brewery in Toronto producing a ton of fruity beers. They're about ten minutes north west from Bellwoods.

http://halobrewery.com/

Here's a selection of some of their offerings, so much fruit..

THE FINAL STRAW
Tart Wit with Strawberry and Rosehips

DAY STAR
Tart Saison with Apricot and Lemon

ION CANNON
Gose with Strawberry and Kiwi

DOUBLE LUCKY
IPA with Mango

WIT OR WITHOUT
Wit with Lime and Ginger

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

A brewery after my own heart !!

I gotta go there! Sounds Amazing.

Has anybody tried the place out? Any opinions? Are they generally well regarded

A big thanks, this one looks worth traveling for

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

duckdown wrote:A brewery after my own heart !!

I gotta go there! Sounds Amazing.

Has anybody tried the place out? Any opinions? Are they generally well regarded

A big thanks, this one looks worth traveling for
You can see what people thought here: http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=10575

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Stone City in Kingston is never afraid to experiment as well if you're passing through on your way to Montreal...

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Masterplan wrote:Stone City in Kingston is never afraid to experiment as well if you're passing through on your way to Montreal...
It's on our to do list, we leave in two weeks to drive to PEI and Cape Breton, will definitely be stopping in!

Can't wait!

Thanks for the post

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

If you're going out East, look for Pumphouse Blueberry Ale. It's one of the few fruit beers I can think of that's pleasantly sweet and straightforward, rather than the complex sours and saisons that are popular these days.