Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Beau's new Stout and IPeh

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Brews Phillips

Beau's new Stout and IPeh

Post by Brews Phillips »

I got this message from the Beau's Army today. Looking forward to trying that stout. :P

"Beau's All Natural Brewing Co. will be releasing two beers this week; the return of its Beaver River I.P.eh? seasonal and a brand new release Matt's Sleepytime Stout.

Beaver River is a part of Beau's on-going seasonals program, complimenting its flagship LugTread with a rotating seasonal beer. As its Spring seasonal, Beaver River is an authentic India Pale Ale, designed to appeal to hop-heads. This year the beer has been dry-hopped as well, to amplify the Pacific Gem and Summit hop aromas. Beaver River is named after the Riviere Castor which connects Ottawa to many Eastern Ontario towns and villages.

Matt's Sleepytime Stout is the first of Beau's new Wild Oats program. The wild oats program is designed to explore some of the most challenging styles in beer to provide truly unique taste experiences. Sleepytime is an Imperial Stout (8% abv), fermented with Belgian yeast and aged with oak staves. Tastes of chocolate, coffee and vanilla are complimented with american hops and a ture belgian-character in the finish."

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Looks like a trip to Vankleek Hill is in my future.
drinkvine.com - a better way to find your beer and wine.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I've heard it's a winner, but also heard it's a really small batch. I'm heading out Saturday morning God willing, and hope there's still some around. If there isn't... I'll find you Ralphus!!!

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Ha! My trip is scheduled for Sunday. The stout sounds good and I'll gladly take some if any remains, but it's the growlers of IPA I really want :)

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

If someone can grab me the Sleepytime, I'll hook you up!

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Stout for me too please! :) Sounds good!

Queef

Post by Queef »

I got some of both at the brewery yesterday.

Stout was a fantastic way to cap off a St. Paddy's day evening. Dangerously drinkable for 8%, tastes like it could benefit from a bit of bottle aging as well.
Bit more aroma in the IPeH this year, I'm guessing from the dry hopping noted by Steve. Very good.
Unfortunately I'm not a seasoned reviewer, just drinker, so I don't have a fancy review for you all, but both are solid solid beers.
it's beer o'clock.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Queef wrote: Unfortunately I'm not a seasoned reviewer, just drinker, so I don't have a fancy review for you all, but both are solid solid beers.
Are you saying that you are a seasoned drinker? :D

You're review was enough to convince me to make a trip out to VKH this Saturday. Hopefully there'll be something left.

TJ

Post by TJ »

I thought the IPEh was deliciously restrained last year. I loved it. Can't wait to try it with some dry-hopping. Nice.

I'm guessing the brewery is the only place to get these? I'll be in Ottawa in a couple of weekends, but I'm not sure I can fit in a two hour round trip.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

TJ wrote:I thought the IPEh was deliciously restrained last year. I loved it. Can't wait to try it with some dry-hopping. Nice.

I'm guessing the brewery is the only place to get these? I'll be in Ottawa in a couple of weekends, but I'm not sure I can fit in a two hour round trip.
Check around, you'll find the IPEh, at least, on tap at some local restaurants and pubs. Black Tomato in the market will probably have a seasonal on tap, as will Johnny Farina's on Elgin. Check Beaus website for listings, or give them a call, I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

Picked up a couple growlers of the IPeh and a couple bottle of the Stout today at VKH. Had a sample of the IPeh at the brewery.....oh so tasty.

Felt antsy, so I kept going to Saint Jerome and checked out the Dieu du Ciel brewery. Sampled some La Charbonnière, a new smoked beer, at the brewery and bought some Charlevoix Lupulus at a depanneur.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Nice Brews.. sounds like a good trip.

A friend and I went to the brewery today. I made the mistake of popping in a piece of that palate destroying excel gum just as we turned off the highway, so my samples at the brewery were completely awash. It was a good visit though and the girl at the counter was friendly and interested in our thoughts on the offerings.

Apparently the stout is selling well even at an $11 price tag.

I'm working through a growler of IP Eh right now. There are similarities and differences from last year, few of which I'm nuanced enough to describe, but suffice it to say that it tastes good. It still has the fruity sweetness up front with a quite solid dollup of hops at the end. And it's still remarkably drinkable.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

I was also out at the brewery on the weekend. Undecided on the stout. My sample tasted good, but it was too cold. My bottle with a Works burger seemed kind of thin, but it was too warm. I'll take another run at it tonight probably.

Didn't pick up the IPEh because they didn't have it in the ceramics. Slightly annoyed.

Ralphus

Post by Ralphus »

Not a fan of the jugs?

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

Ralphus wrote:Not a fan of the jugs?
Fine for a couple people, but I won't make my way through one, especially since I'm on a bit of a health kick. I bought a jug of Bogwater when it first came out and there's still about two pints in it on my shelf... I'm afraid to open it.