Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Cantillon in Alberta

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Cantillon in Alberta

Post by boney »

For all those who love lambic and live in Alberta or will be passing through, the long awaited shipment of Cantillon will finally be on the shelves of finer liquor stores this weekend. I picked up some this afternoon.....from a back room.....while the vol/alc labels were still being put on the beers. I was just mildly excited. Major props and thanks to Kensington Wine Market.

The varieties I've seen so far (may differ between stores).....

Cantillon Gueuze
Cantillon Kriek
Cantillon Iris
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon St. Lamvinus
Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus
Cantillon Cuvee St. Gilloise
Cantillon Lou Pepe Gueuze
Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
Cantillon Lou Pepe Framboise

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote:For all those who love lambic and live in Alberta or will be passing through, the long awaited shipment of Cantillon will finally be on the shelves of finer liquor stores this weekend. I picked up some this afternoon.....from a back room.....while the vol/alc labels were still being put on the beers. I was just mildly excited. Major props and thanks to Kensington Wine Market.

Cantillon Gueuze
Cantillon Kriek
Cantillon Iris
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon St. Lamvinus
Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
ive got some grand river for ya if you wanna trade!

Torontoblue
Beer Superstar

Post by Torontoblue »

boney wrote:For all those who love lambic and live in Alberta or will be passing through, the long awaited shipment of Cantillon will finally be on the shelves of finer liquor stores this weekend. I picked up some this afternoon.....from a back room.....while the vol/alc labels were still being put on the beers. I was just mildly excited. Major props and thanks to Kensington Wine Market.

Cantillon Gueuze
Cantillon Kriek
Cantillon Iris
Cantillon Vigneronne
Cantillon St. Lamvinus
Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek
I think they were just clearing some shelves at Sherbrooke for this.

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Hey Matt. I PM'd you.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

boney wrote:Hey Matt. I PM'd you.
woops, just saw that. im at work now but ill pm you this evening.

sorry :oops:

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Post by Bobbyok »

boney wrote: Cantillon Kriek
Somebody alert the CFIA. That stuff'll kill ya you know.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

I am jealous. Nice to see that Ontario hasn't tainted all of Canada for Cantillon.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Its an awesome list, and a great leap forward for Alberta. You're lucky bastards, though I expect the price point would test all but the most dedicated. I'm trading for a Gilloise and its not cheap.

For all you Ontarians, PG has 5 different Cantillons currently listed in stock: https://premiergourmet.com/store/pages/Beer-List.html

Consumer's also gets the odd one in, and I managed to pick up a nice vintage bottle of Fou Foune from there.

If people were looking into trading for some, a number of people in QC also have Cantillons from private orders.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

I've got just about every grand river in stock, have just worked out one big trade

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

northyorksammy wrote:I've got just about every grand river in stock, have just worked out one big trade
im assuming that was the one i missed

boney
Seasoned Drinker

Post by boney »

Bobsy wrote:Its an awesome list, and a great leap forward for Alberta. You're lucky bastards, though I expect the price point would test all but the most dedicated. I'm trading for a Gilloise and its not cheap.
Yep, the price point is rather brutal. Roughly $25 per bottle. I picked up about a case and a half of mix and match and nearly cried at the bill. That's my beer budget for pretty much the next half year. I'll have to start dipping into my closet O' stored beers.

viggo
Bar Fly

Post by viggo »

Are these 750 ml's? That's not a bad price.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

viggo wrote:Are these 750 ml's? That's not a bad price.
they are indeed 750s

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Even though I have paid $25 for a bottle of wine, I still have trouble paying $15 or more for a 650/750ml bottle of beer. The sad part is that I know I will enjoy the beer more! I guess I have a limited beer buying budget, and as an avid homebrewer, I know I can make a lot of my own beer for the same price (and yes, I know I will likely never make anything as good as Cantillon).

If I get to Alberta before it is all gone (not likely), I would buy 1-2 bottles, mostly for the dregs that I can add to my homebrew sour beers.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

I was told last week that Saskatchewan will also be getting 6-7 varieties of Cantillon.