Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Tactical Nuclear Penguin rejected by NSLC

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Bobbyok
Bar Fly

Tactical Nuclear Penguin rejected by NSLC

Post by Bobbyok »

From a friend in the know:
Nuclear Penguin rejected by NSLC because beer not supposed to be
that high in alcohol, and it would encourage abuse.
Just so you know it's not only the LCBO who can be incredibly stupid in their regulatory decisions.

kwjd

Post by kwjd »

Yes, because there is nothing in a liquor store above 30% abv. I wonder if they just label it as a spirit if it would be allowed?

Pub Style
Bar Fly

Post by Pub Style »

Cass and I went to an event in Chicago for the Craft Brewers Conference (Rare Beer Tour) that featured BrewDog beers on tap (Tokyo, 5am Saint-really good, Hardcore IPA) and the Penguin was supposed to be there in bottle. We were talking to James Watt (one of the BrewDog owners) and he said the beer got held up at the border and they weren't releasing it?? So no Penguin made it to Chicago.

The Tokyo on tap was pretty awesome. Better (IMO) than Dogfish World Wide Stout and the 5am Saint was terrific.

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

Shared a bottle of Tokyo* last week. Thought it was one of the better put together extremely high alcohol beers I've tried. Sorta surprising, because I'm really not overly impressed with BrewDog beers... they seem to be really good at marketing and so-so at brewing. Also shared an old bottle I had of Paradox Islay (batch 007)... I couldn't drink it.

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

markaberrant wrote:Shared a bottle of Tokyo* last week. Thought it was one of the better put together extremely high alcohol beers I've tried. Sorta surprising, because I'm really not overly impressed with BrewDog beers... they seem to be really good at marketing and so-so at brewing. Also shared an old bottle I had of Paradox Islay (batch 007)... I couldn't drink it.
I agree, they are super at marketing but their beer doesnt stand out that much at all....Although that being said i still think they are one of the better scottish brewers

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

thelynchfella wrote:I agree, they are super at marketing but their beer doesnt stand out that much at all....Although that being said i still think they are one of the better scottish brewers
They are not even close to the same league as Belhaven and Traquair.

thelynchfella

Post by thelynchfella »

markaberrant wrote:
thelynchfella wrote:I agree, they are super at marketing but their beer doesnt stand out that much at all....Although that being said i still think they are one of the better scottish brewers
i've counted 22 breweries and 9 brewpubs....so if you only count those 2 as being better then i'd still stand by what i say with regards them being one of the better breweries

belhaven....i like the st andrews ale. Found the twisted thistle very ordinary

traquair....the jacobite is fantastic, beautiful scottish heavy, most beers with coriander i love though!

incidently, can you get jacobite in toronto??? It's very hard to get in Ireland

markaberrant
Seasoned Drinker

Post by markaberrant »

thelynchfella wrote:i've counted 22 breweries and 9 brewpubs....so if you only count those 2 as being better then i'd still stand by what i say with regards them being one of the better breweries

traquair....the jacobite is fantastic, beautiful scottish heavy, most beers with coriander i love though!

Fair enough in regards to number of breweries, I didn't quite see your location.

I love the Belhaven Wee Heavy, prefer the Traquair House Ale to the Jacobite, though all are fantastic and readily available in Alberta. Saskatchewan has the Belhaven St Andrews and Scottish Ale.
Last edited by markaberrant on Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bytowner
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Bytowner »

thelynchfella wrote: incidently, can you get jacobite in toronto??? It's very hard to get in Ireland
I don't even know if they have a rep in Ontario... Don't believe they've ever had anything in the LCBO.

inertiaboy
Bar Fly

Post by inertiaboy »

Bytowner wrote:
thelynchfella wrote: incidently, can you get jacobite in toronto??? It's very hard to get in Ireland
I don't even know if they have a rep in Ontario... Don't believe they've ever had anything in the LCBO.
I've definitely bought the House Ale at the LCBO, but I think Clinton was in power at the time. I currently get my stash through Bieropholie - House Ale, Jacobite, Laird's Liquor, Bear, and 900 (a couple of years ago).

booze hound

Post by booze hound »

I think Brew Dog is amazing, but back on topic...

Apparently the NSLC won't carry anything over 12%. This is ridiculous because they will carry Bacardi 151 (75%), and I will do a whole lot more damage if I drink that whole thing. This is just a closed ming approach that allows them to cut corners when having to review new products.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

markaberrant wrote:
Can't say I agree with that. I personally think Brew Dog is more novelty than anything but I also don't think you can judge them based on what we generally see of them over here.

Well, I have rated 8 Brew Dog beers higher than 3.5/5... Ratebeer scores list over a dozen scoring > 3.5

I have rated 2 Belhaven's >3.5, while Ratebeer rates the vast majority of their products as <3.0! I enjoyed much of what I have had from them, but I'd choose Brew Dog over much of their line.

Traquair fairs much better, and I see I have not actually tried some of their best stuff.

sprague11
Seasoned Drinker

Post by sprague11 »

thelynchfella wrote:
markaberrant wrote:
i've counted 22 breweries and 9 brewpubs....so if you only count those 2 as being better then i'd still stand by what i say with regards them being one of the better breweries

Im sure you;ve found some over here by now. Whoever named this a "Wee Heavy" was very apt in their description. Wonderful stuff.